|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease afflicts Bipti's father?
2. What does Mr. Biswas do when he sees a relative's child destroying some of the store's stock?
3. What does Sharma want to have done to the house being built in Book 1, Chapter 5?
4. What unlucky trait does the pundit claim Mr. Biswas will have?
5. How does Mr. Biswas react when he sees his lodgings at Green Vale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Biswas' father die?
2. Why does Pundit Jairam send Mr. Biswas home?
3. Describe the first house Mr. Biswas builds for his family.
4. What explanation does Shama give for the store's financial problems?
5. Describe the circumstances surrounding the birth of Shama's first child.
6. Why does Mr. Biswas consider himself a successful man?
7. What job does Mr. Biswas have as a child, and how does he lose that job?
8. What prophecy does the pundit give at Mr. Biswas' birth?
9. Describe Mr. Biswas.
10. Describe the Tulsi family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect the division of Mr. Biswas' brothers and sisters had on each character's life. Why might Bipti have made the decision to divide them, and how might it have affected her character throughout the book? How might the death of his father have motivated Mr. Biswas to pursue a better life? What might have happened to Mr. Biswas and his family if his father had been alive to raise the family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power struggles evident in the book. Which characters are perpetually locked in a bid for power within the family? What factors assist characters in gaining or losing power? How do the power struggles evident among the adult characters affect the children? What cycle of power is evident in the book, and how does Mr. Biswas attempt to break that cycle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influence the rise of colonialism and had on the characters after World War II. How do the characters feel about their society before the war? What effect does colonialism have on the characters' attitudes towards their own society? How do the characters use colonialism to their advantage?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)