|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Biswas and Sharma have an argument while they stay together for a few days at Green Vale, what happens?
2. Who remains with Mr. Biswas at Green Vale when Sharma leaves?
3. What does Mr. Biswas study with Pundit Jairam?
4. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Mr. Biswas' illness?
5. Why is Mr. Biswas sent to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Biswas' father die?
2. Describe Mr. Biswas' early education.
3. What explanation does Shama give for the store's financial problems?
4. Describe Mr. Biswas' emotional state during his illness.
5. Describe Mr. Biswas.
6. How does Shama react when Mr. Biswas loses his job?
7. How does the Tulsi family care for Mr. Biswas during his illness?
8. Describe Mr. Biswas' room in Green Vale.
9. What prophecy does the pundit give at Mr. Biswas' birth?
10. What motivates Mr. Biswas to choose the house for his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between Eastern and Western standards of success. Which standard does the Tulsi family follow? Which standard does Mr. Biswas follow? How does the conflict with the Tulsi family affect Mr. Biswas' attitude towards success? How might his attitude affect the future of his children and grandchildren?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the manner in which the Tulsi family supported Mr. Biswas. Was their support based on moral obligation, cultural standard or other factors? How does the Tulsi family's support assist Mr. Biswas' success? How does their support contribute to his failings? Cite specific examples of financial, physical, social and emotional support within your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the influence the farming venture at Shorthills had on the characters in the novel. What influenced the Tulsi family to try farming? What factors lead to the farm's demise? How does the failure of the farm affect the characters?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)