|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Biswas borrow money from in order to purchase the house in Book 2, Chapter 6?
(b) Mrs. Tulsi.
2. What day is the purchase complete?
3. In Book 2, Chapter 5, which items does Mrs. Tulsi insist on showing everyone?
(a) Her new carpets.
(b) Mr. Biswas' scathing articles.
(c) Owad's letters.
(d) Dead rats.
4. After the family's first harvest does not produce the gains expected, how do some of the Tulsi women plan to earn money?
(a) By making incense from orangewood.
(b) By selling eggs.
(c) By selling chickens.
(d) By renting land to sharecroppers.
5. What justification does Seth give for the destruction of the garden?
(a) The vegetable plants were already dying.
(b) He reminds Mr. Biswas that he owns the land.
(c) His plan will make more money than the produce from the garden.
(d) He sees the garden as a silly waste of space.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party has Owad become involved with while overseas?
2. What color does Mr. Biswas paint his typewriter?
3. What type of club does Owad join after he returns home?
4. When his commute to work becomes difficult, where does Mr. Biswas find lodging?
5. What type of garden does the work crew destroy in Chapter 2 of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Biswas' second house spared from burning?
2. How does Mr. Biswas get his first job for the "Trinidad Sentinel?"
3. Why does Mr. Biswas buy a typewriter, and what happens to it later in the story?
4. Describe Shekhar's life as an adult.
5. How does the Biswas family feel about the purchase of their new home?
6. How does the Deserving Destitutes Fund cause hardship for Mr. Biswas?
7. Why does the Biswas family leave Mrs. Tulsi's house in Port of Spain after Owad's return?
8. Describe Mr. Biswas' new job with the Community Welfare Department.
9. How does Mrs. Tulsi react to Owad's impending return from England?
10. How do Owad's communist views affect the Tulsi family?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)