|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease afflicts Bipti's father?
2. Who sold Mr. Biswas the house?
(a) A greedy real estate agent.
(b) His wealthy uncle.
(c) A solicitor's clerk.
(d) An old woman who reminded him of his mother.
3. In the prologue, why is Mr. Biswas pleased with his wife Shama?
(a) She supports the family by getting a job in a local school.
(b) She does not run back to her family when he is fired.
(c) She confronts his boss after he is fired.
(d) She makes his favorite meal the night he is fired.
4. What do the Tulsis hire Mr. Biswas to do in their dry goods store?
(a) Clean the bathroom.
(b) Run the counter.
(c) Put up stock.
(d) Paint signs.
5. What does Sharma blame for the failure of the store?
(a) The greed of their customers.
(b) Mr. Biswas' lazy behavior.
(c) The poor economy.
(d) The overuse of credit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment does the doctor recommend for Mr. Biswas?
2. When Mr. Biswas becomes disillusioned about his marriage to Sharma, where does he go?
3. What is Savi's nickname when she is at the Hanuman House?
4. What unlucky trait does the pundit claim Mr. Biswas will have?
5. How does the family at Hanuman House learn that Mr. Biswas is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first house Mr. Biswas builds for his family.
2. What motivates Mr. Biswas to become self-employed?
3. Why do the Tulsis consider Mr. Biswas a rebel?
4. What happens to Mr. Biswas' house in Green Vale during his illness?
5. How does Mr. Biswas attempt to improve the store's financial situation?
6. When Shama is pregnant with her fourth child, she and Mr. Biswas have a severe argument. What happens during that argument, and how does it affect their family?
7. Describe Mr. Biswas' early education.
8. How does Shama react when Mr. Biswas loses his job?
9. Why does Mr. Biswas consider himself a successful man?
10. What motivates Mr. Biswas to choose the house for his family?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)