|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Green Vale?
(a) One of the Tulsis' sugar estates.
(b) An English manor.
(c) A hotel run by Seth.
(d) An estate on the mainland.
2. What literature does Mr. Biswas leave open on tables throughout the Hanuman house?
(a) Political pamphlets.
(b) Christian booklets.
(c) Real estate brochures.
(d) Dry goods catalogs.
3. How does Mr. Biswas reply to his mother's claim that she will end up in the poorhouse because of him?
(a) He cries and runs out of the house.
(b) He declares she will never go hungry as long as he is alive.
(c) He faints.
(d) He declares that he will find his own job and buy his own house.
4. During his illness, what happens to the house that Mr. Biswas was constructing?
(a) Seth and his family move in.
(b) It is sold.
(c) His brothers finish building the house.
(d) It is burnt.
5. What job is Mr. Biswas fired from in the prologue?
(a) Police officer in Trinidad.
(b) Reporter for the Trinidad "Sentinel."
(c) Overseer for a sugar plantation.
(d) Taxicab driver in Trinidad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shama react to the purchase of the house?
2. In the prologue, why is Mr. Biswas pleased with his wife Shama?
3. What does Bipti do the day before Mr. Biswas is born?
4. What treatment does Ramchand recommend for Mr. Biswas?
5. What does Sharma blame for the failure of the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Shama give for the store's financial problems?
2. Describe the Tulsi family.
3. Why does Mr. Biswas consider himself a successful man?
4. Describe Mr. Biswas' room in Green Vale.
5. How does Mr. Biswas express his displeasure with his in-laws and his communal living situation?
6. What happens to the Biswas children after their father dies?
7. Why does Pundit Jairam send Mr. Biswas home?
8. Describe Mr. Biswas' early education.
9. What must Mr. Biswas and Shama do to reopen their shop and house in The Chase?
10. Describe Mr. Biswas' emotional state during his illness.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)