|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Tulsi evict everyone from the house in Port of Spain?
(a) She is selling the house.
(b) She is angry at the entire family.
(c) She must fumigate for rats.
(d) She is preparing the house for Owad's return.
2. In Book 2, Chapter 5, which items does Mrs. Tulsi insist on showing everyone?
(a) Her new carpets.
(b) Mr. Biswas' scathing articles.
(c) Owad's letters.
(d) Dead rats.
3. Whom does Mr. Biswas borrow money from in order to purchase the house in Book 2, Chapter 6?
(d) Mrs. Tulsi.
4. What author does Mr. Biswas favor during the period of time when working conditions at "The Sentinel" become extremely stressful?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) W.C. Fields.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
5. Which character does Owad attack verbally?
(d) Mrs. Tulsi.
6. Who begs Mr. Biswas for a Deserving Destitute award?
(a) Mrs. Tulsi.
(b) Five of the Tulsi widows.
(c) A homeless man.
7. In the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 3, which family member refuses to relocate?
8. What does Mr. Biswas offer to do for free for the editor of the newspaper?
(b) Write articles.
(c) Clean his office.
(d) Set up the typesetter.
9. While traveling around the island as part of his new government job, where does Mr. Biswas establish an office?
(a) At his house in Shorthills.
(b) In an abandoned shopping center.
(c) In downtown Port of Spain.
(d) At Hanuman House.
10. What problem does Mr. Biswas have with the stairway of his new house?
(a) It is missing.
(b) Two boards are missing at the top of the stairs.
(c) It is very rickety.
(d) There are splinters in most of the boards.
11. What does Shama borrow from Basdai?
(c) A handcart.
(d) A rope.
12. How does Mr. Biswas earn the $1,200 needed for the down payment on the house?
(a) He sells his house in Shorthills.
(b) He sells his office building.
(c) He sells his automobile.
(d) He and Anand roof Mrs. Tulsi's house.
13. What day is the purchase complete?
14. In Book 2, Chapter 4, what happens to Chinta?
(a) She has an affair with Seth.
(b) She is beaten by Govind.
(c) She leaves Govind.
(d) She has her 10th child.
15. While Anand is preparing for examinations, what does Shama give him each day?
(a) Cod liver oil.
(b) Oatmeal and raisins.
(c) Fish and chips.
(d) Milk and prunes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "code" name does Mr. Biswas use when traveling for the newspaper?
2. Why does Owad go to England?
3. Which high-paying government agency is Mr. Biswas invited to join?
4. What structure does Seth plan to build on the garden site?
5. In Book 2, Chapter 1, where does Mr. Biswas find his mother living?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)