|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the man in the café need to sell his house?
(a) He is tired of being a landlord.
(b) His elderly mother can no longer manage the stairs.
(c) He can no longer afford the upkeep of the house.
(d) He is moving to England.
2. What treatment does Mrs. Tulsi give Anand for his asthma?
(a) Steam baths.
(b) Cod liver oil.
(c) Brandy and water.
(d) An inhaler.
3. After Mr. Biswas completes his house In Book 2, Chapter 3, which relative moves in with him?
4. In Book 2, Chapter 3, what does Chinta accuse Anand of doing?
(b) Stealing chickens.
(c) Withholding money from the family.
(d) Stealing money from her room.
5. Why does Mrs. Tulsi evict everyone from the house in Port of Spain?
(a) She is preparing the house for Owad's return.
(b) She is angry at the entire family.
(c) She must fumigate for rats.
(d) She is selling the house.
6. Where does Shekhar live once he is married?
(a) With Mrs. Tulsi.
(b) With his in-laws.
(c) In England.
(d) With Mr. Biswas.
7. In Book 2, Chapter 4, what does Basdai constantly say to her children?
(a) "Read! Learn! Learn! Read!"
(b) "No! No! No!"
(c) "Go away!"
(d) "Come here!"
8. Where does Mrs. Tulsi go when she leaves the Port of Spain?
9. What author does Mr. Biswas favor during the period of time when working conditions at "The Sentinel" become extremely stressful?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) W.C. Fields.
10. Who is Basdai?
(a) The stray dog.
(b) The solicitor's clerk.
(c) A widow who took in boarders.
(d) Pratap's friend.
11. Which newspaper offers Mr. Biswas a job?
(a) "The Trinidad Star."
(b) "The Trinidad News."
(c) "The Trinidad Times."
(d) "The Trinidad Sentinel."
12. When Mr. Burnett leaves the "Sentinel," where does he go?
(a) He moves to London and works at the Times.
(b) He runs a local grocery.
(c) He tours the U.S. with a circus.
(d) He accepts a job from Mrs. Tulsi.
13. In Book 2, Chapter 6, what literature does Owad leave around the house?
(a) The International Socialist Review.
(b) Soviet Weekly.
(c) The New Libertarian.
(d) Democratic Left.
14. Where does Mr. Biswas live after Mrs. Tulsi evicts him from the house in Port of Spain?
(a) With Ramchand.
(b) In a single room in one of Mrs. Tulsi's tenement houses.
(c) In his house in Shorthills.
(d) In a small apartment.
15. What color does Mr. Biswas paint his typewriter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What "code" name does Mr. Biswas use when traveling for the newspaper?
2. While Anand is preparing for examinations, what does Shama give him each day?
3. Why do the problems associated with the house not bother the Biswas family for very long?
4. Why is Shekhar jealous of Owad?
5. In Book 2, Chapter 5, which items does Mrs. Tulsi insist on showing everyone?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)