|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Biswas purchase through a government sponsored loan?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A house.
(c) An automobile.
(d) An office building.
2. When does Mr. Biswas make the final decision to purchase the house?
(a) Thursday morning.
(b) Tuesday morning.
(c) The next week.
(d) Monday night.
3. What justification does Seth give for the destruction of the garden?
(a) He reminds Mr. Biswas that he owns the land.
(b) He sees the garden as a silly waste of space.
(c) The vegetable plants were already dying.
(d) His plan will make more money than the produce from the garden.
4. Which newspaper offers Mr. Biswas a job?
(a) "The Trinidad Sentinel."
(b) "The Trinidad Times."
(c) "The Trinidad Star."
(d) "The Trinidad News."
5. What is the job of the certificate searcher?
(a) To catalog birth, death and marriage certificates in the civil office.
(b) To help the wealthy procure visas and travel documents.
(c) To locate stolen and missing visas and travel documents.
(d) To help the illiterate apply for birth, death and marriage certificates.
6. What about the house surprises Mr. Biswas?
(a) The hidden room under the staircase.
(b) Shoddy construction and multiple defects.
(c) There is a boarder living upstairs.
(d) The bright yellow bathroom.
7. What pursues the Tulsi chickens?
(a) The children.
(b) Snakes and mongooses.
(d) Wild dogs.
8. After the family's first harvest does not produce the gains expected, how do some of the Tulsi women plan to earn money?
(a) By making incense from orangewood.
(b) By selling eggs.
(c) By selling chickens.
(d) By renting land to sharecroppers.
9. In Book 2, Chapter 4, what does Basdai constantly say to her children?
(a) "Come here!"
(b) "No! No! No!"
(c) "Read! Learn! Learn! Read!"
(d) "Go away!"
10. What author does Mr. Biswas favor during the period of time when working conditions at "The Sentinel" become extremely stressful?
(a) W.C. Fields.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
11. What does Shama borrow from Basdai?
(b) A handcart.
(c) A rope.
12. What problem does Mr. Biswas have with the back door of his new house?
(a) It is missing.
(b) It will not close completely.
(c) It will not lock.
(d) It is hung upside down.
13. What type of work does Mr. Biswas first perform for the newspaper?
(a) He cleans the lavatory.
(b) He sweeps the floor.
(c) He washes the windows.
(d) He paints signs.
14. What treatment does Mrs. Tulsi give Anand for his asthma?
(a) Cod liver oil.
(b) Steam baths.
(c) An inhaler.
(d) Brandy and water.
15. What structure does Seth plan to build on the garden site?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A fruit stand.
(c) A store.
(d) A garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 2, Chapter 3, what does Chinta accuse Anand of doing?
2. In Book 2, Chapter 1, what city does Mr. Biswas move to?
3. What sign does Mr. Biswas post on his house in Shorthills?
4. How does the editor react to Mr. Biswas' free work?
5. Which subject does Anand excel in at school?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)