|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at school, what talent does Mr. Biswas discover he has?
(a) Public speaking.
(b) Ornate lettering.
2. In Book 1, Chapter 3, which relative betrays Mr. Biswas to the Tulsis?
(d) Pundit Tulsi.
3. In the prologue, how does Shama attempt to earn money?
(a) By buying potatoes wholesale and then reselling them.
(b) By stealing food and selling back to the market.
(c) By working as a custodian for the local school.
(d) By selling used cars.
4. How many days does the pundit recommend Mr. Biswas' father wait before seeing his newborn son?
5. In the prologue, what severance is Mr. Biswas given after he is fired?
(a) Three months' notice and a free newspaper delivered to his door each morning.
(c) A hundred rupees and a taxicab ride home.
(d) Fifteen rupees and a free police radio.
6. How does Mr. Biswas decorate his room in Green Vale?
(a) With wallpaper salvaged from construction sites.
(b) By painting the entire house inside and out.
(c) With new furniture.
(d) With hand-lettered slogans from Hindi meetings.
7. What treatment does Ramchand recommend for Mr. Biswas?
(b) A long vacation.
(c) Long walks in the country.
(d) Music from a gramophone.
8. During his illness, what happens to the house that Mr. Biswas was constructing?
(a) It is burnt.
(b) It is sold.
(c) Seth and his family move in.
(d) His brothers finish building the house.
9. What unlucky trait does the pundit claim Mr. Biswas will have?
(a) A glassy stare.
(b) A limp.
(c) A sneeze.
(d) A lisp.
10. Why does Mr. Biswas accuse the Tulsis of being "orthodox Roman Catholic Hindus"?
(a) Because the family closes shop for the Christmas holiday.
(b) Because the family does business with a Catholic investor.
(c) Because Owad's best friend is Catholic.
(d) Because two boys in the house attend mass at a Catholic school.
11. What does Sharma blame for the failure of the store?
(a) The greed of their customers.
(b) Mr. Biswas' lazy behavior.
(c) The overuse of credit.
(d) The poor economy.
12. What happens to the furniture in Mr. Biswas' house while he is ill?
(a) It is sold.
(b) Thieves break in and steal it.
(c) It is burned.
(d) It is moved back to Hanuman House.
13. When Mr. Biswas sees a child destroying some of the store's stock, what does his reaction cause the mother of the accused child to do?
(a) She beats her son.
(b) She yells at her son.
(c) She yells at Mr. Biswas.
(d) She ignores Mr. Biswas.
14. What disease afflicts Bipti's father?
15. How does Mr. Biswas' father die?
(a) He falls off a cliff.
(b) He drowns.
(c) From an infected wound.
(d) He is murdered by the bandits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which relatives visit Mr. Biswas while he is ill?
2. What do the Tulsis hire Mr. Biswas to do in their dry goods store?
3. What is Pundit Tulsi famous for?
4. Where does Mr. Biswas work with Bhandat, Ajodha's brother?
5. According to pundit, what must Mr. Biswas stay away from?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)