|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Mr. Biswas keep for the rest of his life after being unable to return it to school?
(a) "That Body of Yours"
(b) "The Lives of Engineers"
(c) "Book of Comprehensive Knowledge"
(d) "Bell's Standard Elocutionist"
2. What solution does Seth recommend for Mr. Biswas' financial problems?
(a) Burning the store and collecting the insurance.
(b) Hiring thugs to collect debts.
(c) Declaring bankruptcy.
(d) Selling the store to his English investor.
3. In the prologue, how does Shama attempt to earn money?
(a) By buying potatoes wholesale and then reselling them.
(b) By working as a custodian for the local school.
(c) By selling used cars.
(d) By stealing food and selling back to the market.
4. Which room in Hanuman House does Mr. Biswas occupy while he is ill?
(a) Seth's bedroom.
(b) The back of the kitchen.
(c) The front living room.
(d) Mrs. Tulsi's bedroom.
5. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what gift does Mr. Biswas give Savi?
(a) An elaborate dollhouse.
(b) A porcelain doll.
(c) A chess set.
(d) A beautiful dress.
6. What does Bipti do the day before Mr. Biswas is born?
(a) Falls down the stairs.
(b) Faints at the market.
(c) Crosses the path of a white calf.
(d) Goes to her parents' home with her three children.
7. In Book 1, Chapter 3, which relative betrays Mr. Biswas to the Tulsis?
(c) Pundit Tulsi.
8. Why is Mr. Biswas sent to school?
(a) He is too young to work.
(b) His aunt wants him to have the best opportunities possible.
(c) A compulsory school attendance law is passed.
(d) His father left money in his will for his schooling.
9. How does Shama's family react to the purchase of the house?
(a) They beg Shama to stay with them.
(b) With snide, cutting remarks and insults.
(c) With enthusiasm and encouragement.
(d) They worry and warn Shama of the evils of the city.
10. What happens to the furniture in Mr. Biswas' house while he is ill?
(a) It is sold.
(b) It is moved back to Hanuman House.
(c) It is burned.
(d) Thieves break in and steal it.
11. Who attacks Mr. Biswas in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(b) Pundit Tulsi.
12. What does Mr. Biswas dislike about Sharma?
(a) Her smile.
(b) Her voice.
(c) Her nose.
(d) Her figure.
13. What does Bipti's father believe caused the argument between Bipti and her husband?
(a) Hard times.
(c) The white calf.
(d) Bipti's attitude.
14. What job is Mr. Biswas fired from in the prologue?
(a) Overseer for a sugar plantation.
(b) Reporter for the Trinidad "Sentinel."
(c) Taxicab driver in Trinidad.
(d) Police officer in Trinidad.
15. What unlucky trait does the pundit claim Mr. Biswas will have?
(a) A limp.
(b) A sneeze.
(c) A glassy stare.
(d) A lisp.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the prologue, what severance is Mr. Biswas given after he is fired?
2. What treatment does the doctor recommend for Mr. Biswas?
3. In Book 1, Chapter 5, where does Mr. Biswas spend Christmas?
4. Where does Mr. Biswas work with Bhandat, Ajodha's brother?
5. Why does Pundit Jairam send Mr. Biswas back home?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)