|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Biswas love about Sharma?
(a) Her smile.
(b) Her figure.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her mouth.
2. Why does Sharma call her daughter Savi?
(a) She believes that saying her daughter's true name aloud is unlucky.
(b) Savi is a variant of Sharma's own name.
(c) She believes that the name will bless her daughter.
(d) Because Mr. Biswas dislikes the name.
3. Why does Shama destroy the gift Mr. Biswas gave Savi?
(a) To make her obedient.
(b) Because the dress was Western in style.
(c) To keep peace in the family.
(d) She feels girls should not play a man's game.
4. What book is Mr. Biswas keep for the rest of his life after being unable to return it to school?
(a) "Book of Comprehensive Knowledge"
(b) "That Body of Yours"
(c) "Bell's Standard Elocutionist"
(d) "The Lives of Engineers"
5. In Book 1, Chapter 2, who runs away with Dehuti?
(a) Ramchand, Aunt Tara's yard boy.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Biswas, her brother.
(d) Pundit Jairam, her teacher.
6. Why does Pundit Jairam send Mr. Biswas back home?
(a) Because Mr. Biswas was severely homesick.
(b) Because Pundit Jairam became too ill to teach.
(c) Because Mr. Biswas tainted the oleander tree with urine.
(d) Because stress was making Mr. Biswas ill.
7. What treatment does the doctor recommend for Mr. Biswas?
(b) Radiation and chemotherapy.
(c) Ovaltine, vitamins, and rest.
(d) An experimental medication.
8. In the prologue, how does Shama attempt to earn money?
(a) By selling used cars.
(b) By stealing food and selling back to the market.
(c) By working as a custodian for the local school.
(d) By buying potatoes wholesale and then reselling them.
9. How does Mr. Biswas attempt to collect the money owed to the store?
(a) He goes door to door to collect debts himself.
(b) He hires a solicitor to collect debts from customers.
(c) He sues all of his customers.
(d) He calls on the local police for assistance.
10. What comment does the midwife make about the newborn Mr. Biswas?
(a) "Whatever you do, keep this boy away from the water."
(b) "Whatever you do, keep this boy away from his father."
(c) "Whatever you do, this boy will bring you bad luck."
(d) "Whatever you do, this boy will eat up his own mother and father."
11. What does Mr. Biswas dislike about Sharma?
(a) Her nose.
(b) Her figure.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her smile.
12. After recovering from his illness, how does Mr. Biswas view his past?
(a) As an unrealized blessing of family and providence.
(b) As confirmation of the pundit's prophecy.
(c) As counterfeit and a series of cheating accidents.
(d) As the result of his marriage to Sharma.
13. In the beginning of Chapter 2, who buys the Bipti's property?
(a) A foreign investor.
(b) The owners of the sugar cane plantation.
(c) Her sister, Tara.
(d) Her next door neighbor, Dhari.
14. Who attacks Mr. Biswas in Book 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Pundit Tulsi.
15. How does Shama react to the purchase of the house?
(a) With anger.
(b) With feigned indifference.
(c) With enthusiasm.
(d) With skepticism.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what gift does Mr. Biswas give Savi?
2. What treatment does Ramchand recommend for Mr. Biswas?
3. In the prologue, how much of the mortgage is left on Mr. Biswas' house?
4. When Mr. Biswas sees a child destroying some of the store's stock, what does his reaction cause the mother of the accused child to do?
5. What do the Tulsis hire Mr. Biswas to do in their dry goods store?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)