|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Biswas reply to his mother's claim that she will end up in the poorhouse because of him?
(a) He faints.
(b) He declares she will never go hungry as long as he is alive.
(c) He declares that he will find his own job and buy his own house.
(d) He cries and runs out of the house.
2. In Book 1, Chapter 2, who runs away with Dehuti?
(a) Ramchand, Aunt Tara's yard boy.
(b) Pundit Jairam, her teacher.
(c) Mr. Biswas, her brother.
(d) No one.
3. After recovering from his illness, how does Mr. Biswas view his future?
(a) As bleak and hopeless.
(b) As a new beginning on a new house.
(c) As the beginning of his real life.
(d) As dedicated to family.
4. What treatment does Ramchand recommend for Mr. Biswas?
(a) Long walks in the country.
(b) Music from a gramophone.
(c) A long vacation.
5. Where does Mr. Biswas work with Bhandat, Ajodha's brother?
(a) A sugar cane plantation.
(b) A factory.
(c) A rum shop.
(d) A school.
6. What disease afflicts Bipti's father?
7. What literature does Mr. Biswas leave open on tables throughout the Hanuman house?
(a) Dry goods catalogs.
(b) Political pamphlets.
(c) Christian booklets.
(d) Real estate brochures.
8. While at school, what talent does Mr. Biswas discover he has?
(a) Ornate lettering.
(b) Public speaking.
9. What is Pundit Tulsi famous for?
(a) Being a wealthy plantation owner.
(b) Being the first Pundit in Trinidad to be elected governor.
(c) His astonishingly accurate prophecies.
(d) Being the first man on Trinidad to be killed by a motor car.
10. How many days does the pundit recommend Mr. Biswas' father wait before seeing his newborn son?
11. Where does Sharma go to prepare for the birth of her first child?
(a) A hospital on the mainland.
(b) A room above the store.
(c) The local hospital.
(d) The Hanuman House.
12. What was the purchase price of Mr. Biswas' house?
13. In the prologue, how does Shama attempt to earn money?
(a) By stealing food and selling back to the market.
(b) By selling used cars.
(c) By buying potatoes wholesale and then reselling them.
(d) By working as a custodian for the local school.
14. What is eventually discovered on Bipti's property after it is sold?
(b) A grave.
(d) Hindi artifacts.
15. In Book 1, Chapter 5, where does Mr. Biswas spend Christmas?
(a) At Green Vale.
(b) In Port of Spain.
(c) At Hanuman house.
(d) In England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deformity does the newborn Mr. Biswas have?
2. What does Mungroo sue Mr. Biswas for?
3. What treatment does the doctor recommend for Mr. Biswas?
4. What job is Mr. Biswas fired from in the prologue?
5. How has Pundit Tulsi been immortalized?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)