|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical reaction does Mr. Biswas have to stress?
(c) Stomach pains.
2. What treatment does Ramchand recommend for Mr. Biswas?
(b) Music from a gramophone.
(c) Long walks in the country.
(d) A long vacation.
3. What literature does Mr. Biswas leave open on tables throughout the Hanuman house?
(a) Dry goods catalogs.
(b) Real estate brochures.
(c) Political pamphlets.
(d) Christian booklets.
4. Which relative urges Mr. Biswas to find a job after several months spent recuperating at Hanuman House?
(c) Mrs. Tulsi.
5. In the prologue, how much of the mortgage is left on Mr. Biswas' house?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 5, after Mr. Biswas runs out of money for construction, what does he use for building material?
(a) Cinder blocks.
(b) Bricks from an old estate.
(d) Tree branches, corroded tin, and stolen asphalt.
7. What solution does Seth recommend for Mr. Biswas' financial problems?
(a) Selling the store to his English investor.
(b) Hiring thugs to collect debts.
(c) Declaring bankruptcy.
(d) Burning the store and collecting the insurance.
8. What is Green Vale?
(a) An estate on the mainland.
(b) A hotel run by Seth.
(c) An English manor.
(d) One of the Tulsis' sugar estates.
9. What was the purchase price of Mr. Biswas' house?
10. How does Mr. Biswas attempt to collect the money owed to the store?
(a) He sues all of his customers.
(b) He hires a solicitor to collect debts from customers.
(c) He goes door to door to collect debts himself.
(d) He calls on the local police for assistance.
11. Where does Sharma go to prepare for the birth of her first child?
(a) The Hanuman House.
(b) A hospital on the mainland.
(c) The local hospital.
(d) A room above the store.
12. How does Mr. Biswas' father die?
(a) From an infected wound.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is murdered by the bandits.
(d) He falls off a cliff.
13. In the beginning of Chapter 2, who buys the Bipti's property?
(a) Her sister, Tara.
(b) Her next door neighbor, Dhari.
(c) The owners of the sugar cane plantation.
(d) A foreign investor.
14. How does Mr. Biswas invest the money he saved from his sign painting days?
(a) In stocks and bonds.
(b) In an English business.
(c) In stocking the store and purchasing household goods.
(d) In gold.
15. In Book 1, Chapter 5, where does Mr. Biswas spend Christmas?
(a) In Port of Spain.
(b) In England.
(c) At Green Vale.
(d) At Hanuman house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Biswas accuse the Tulsis of being "orthodox Roman Catholic Hindus"?
2. What does Sharma use to treat bedbugs?
3. Which room in Hanuman House does Mr. Biswas occupy while he is ill?
4. What treatment does the doctor recommend for Mr. Biswas?
5. How does Mr. Biswas react when he sees his lodgings at Green Vale?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)