|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4, The Chase.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Biswas reply to his mother's claim that she will end up in the poorhouse because of him?
(a) He declares that he will find his own job and buy his own house.
(b) He declares she will never go hungry as long as he is alive.
(c) He cries and runs out of the house.
(d) He faints.
2. In Book 1, Chapter 2, who runs away with Dehuti?
(a) Pundit Jairam, her teacher.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Biswas, her brother.
(d) Ramchand, Aunt Tara's yard boy.
3. In the prologue, how does Shama attempt to earn money?
(a) By selling used cars.
(b) By stealing food and selling back to the market.
(c) By buying potatoes wholesale and then reselling them.
(d) By working as a custodian for the local school.
4. How does Shama's family react to the purchase of the house?
(a) They beg Shama to stay with them.
(b) With snide, cutting remarks and insults.
(c) With enthusiasm and encouragement.
(d) They worry and warn Shama of the evils of the city.
5. What does Bipti's father believe caused the argument between Bipti and her husband?
(a) Bipti's attitude.
(b) Hard times.
(d) The white calf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Biswas dislike about Sharma?
2. What literature does Mr. Biswas leave open on tables throughout the Hanuman house?
3. What does Mr. Biswas do when he is bored at the shop?
4. In the prologue, why is Mr. Biswas pleased with his wife Shama?
5. How does Mr. Biswas lose his childhood job?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)