|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuan feel as if he should no longer live with his lady mother?
2. During what season does the relationship between Mary and Yuan blossom?
3. What does Yuan base most of his opinions of people on?
4. What does Mary fear?
5. How does Yuan feel about Mary's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Yuan claims that the American people hide their poor because they are ashamed. Why might Yuan be considered hypocritical when he uses this argument?
2. In what ways does Yuan struggle with his pride?
3. How does Yuan feel about America when he leaves it?
4. Why does Yuan accept Meng's proposal to come work in the new capital city?
5. How does Yuan incorporate his love of the land with teaching? What are his student's reactions?
6. Although Yuan has prejudices about the white people, why does he like his teacher's family?
7. According to Mary's description, is Yuan enthusiastic or idealistic?
8. What is Yuan shocked by as he debarks from the train and rides with Meng through the city?
9. Why does Yuan grow to like Mei-ling?
10. Does Yuan keep his hopes up about Mei-ling changing her mind about his proposal? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yuan feels shame many times in the novel. Citing three examples from the text to support your argument, what are some of the times that Yuan feels shame? Why does he feel this shame? How does Yuan's shame develop or dwindle throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yuan's life in China to his life in America. How does Yuan's perception of the events around him affect the way he lives? What is Yuan's quality of life like in each location? Are Yuan's opinions of both America and China accurate? Why or why not? Cite at least five examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least three symbols from the text and analyze the role they play in A House Divided. How do symbols contribute to the novel and Yuan's development? Cite at least three examples from the novel.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)