|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary fear?
2. Who is described as being idealistic?
3. How does Yuan's class first respond to being taken outdoors?
4. Who does Yuan want to say good-bye to more than anybody else when he leaves to go to the Capital city?
5. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches out to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Yuan has prejudices about the white people, why does he like his teacher's family?
2. What reason does Mei-ling give for turning down Yuan's marriage proposal?
3. What is Yuan shocked by as he debarks from the train and rides with Meng through the city?
4. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches for a handout from him?
5. When Yuan is on the train to visit his father, what kind of people does he notice sitting around him?
6. Why does Yuan grow to like Mei-ling?
7. How does Yuan incorporate his love of the land with teaching? What are his student's reactions?
8. According to Mary's description, is Yuan enthusiastic or idealistic?
9. What is Yuan's reaction to the kiss he shares with Mary?
10. Why does Mary's father claim that Yuan and Mary are alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yuan has a habit of judging people, places, and events by their outside experience.Citing specific examples from the novel, explain how this is true. Why is Yuan judgmental?
Essay Topic 2
Yuan joins the cause believing that it will help give him freedom, especially from his father's control. How does Yuan discover that the cause actually means less freedom? What is Yuan's reaction? Cite at least three specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does Yuan's relationship with Mei-ling develop from the time he meets her to the end of the novel? What setbacks does the relationship experience? What about the advances? What can the reader predict for the development of their relationship? Cite at least two examples from the novel.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)