|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
2. Despite outward appearances, how does Yuan feel about his father?
3. How does Yuan feel when he wears his new clothes and looks in the mirror?
4. What does Yuan use the plot of land for?
5. When the soldiers arrive at Yuan's school, what are they searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
2. When Yuan watches Wang the Tiger warm his hands by the fire and sees how frail he looks, how does he feel about him?
3. What does the letter from Yuan's father in Chapter 1 say, and what is Yuan's reaction to it?
4. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
5. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
6. When Yuan befriends the farmer who teaches him to use the hoe, why does he keep the relationship a secret?
7. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
8. How does the maid turn into yet another trap for Yuan's freedom?
9. What reason does Yuan give for not being able to join the revolutionaries?
10. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is freedom elusive to Yuan? How does Yuan constantly search for freedom but fail to find it? Cite at least examples from the novel to prove the argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ways in which Yuan is like Wang the Tiger. How is this shown in his behavior towards others, especially women? How is this shown in the way he views tradition versus revolution? Cite at least three examples from the novel to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Yuan joins the cause believing that it will help give him freedom, especially from his father's control. How does Yuan discover that the cause actually means less freedom? What is Yuan's reaction? Cite at least three specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)