|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Yuan wakes up on the train, what does he find the train has stopped next to?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A river.
(c) A dead horse.
(d) A poverty-stricken piece of land.
2. Why does Yuan feel as if he should no longer live with his lady mother?
(a) Mei-ling turned down his proposal.
(b) His father might find him.
(c) His lady mother wants him to find a job.
(d) Ai-lan is moving back in.
3. When Yuan proposes to a female character, how does she respond?
(a) She rejects the proposal because she sees him as a brother.
(b) She accepts the proposal because she wants protection.
(c) She rejects the proposal because she never wants to get married.
(d) She accepts the proposal because she loves him.
4. Who does Yuan describe as having the loudest laughter of everybody?
(a) The landlady's daughter.
(d) The landlady.
5. Who is Yuan nervous about meeting when he arrives at the capital city?
(a) Wang the Tiger.
(b) The maid.
(c) His former tutor.
(d) The priest from America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what two ways does Yuan's teacher believe Yuan and Mary are alike?
2. What does Yuan reject about Mary?
3. Why is Yuan so interested in his teacher's daughter?
4. Who does Yuan ask to reveal the truth about the bad news in his hometown?
5. What does Yuan's uncle say about Sheng?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yuan thankful to Mary for as he leaves America?
2. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches for a handout from him?
3. Why is Yuan embarrassed by the Chinese brothers who put on a comedy act at the school?
4. What is Yuan's reaction to the kiss he shares with Mary?
5. Why does Mary's father claim that Yuan and Mary are alike?
6. What does Yuan bring back to China with him from America?
7. What does Yuan learn about his father's financial situation when he visits?
8. How does Yuan incorporate his love of the land with teaching? What are his student's reactions?
9. In what ways does Yuan struggle with his pride?
10. Why does Yuan grow to like Mei-ling?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)