|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drink does Yuan stomach out of politeness?
(b) Hot tea.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Hot milk.
2. Why is Yuan thankful to Mary?
(a) She stopped him from becoming Christian.
(b) She always believes him.
(c) She taught him how to kiss.
(d) She doesn't want to marry him.
3. What does Yuan discover about his uncle when he visits him after his return to China?
(a) He has become wealthier.
(b) He has spent more time with Yuan's father.
(c) He has lost weight.
(d) He has become very poor.
4. Who does Yuan describe as having the loudest laughter of everybody?
(a) The landlady.
(d) The landlady's daughter.
5. When Yuan proposes to a female character, how does she respond?
(a) She accepts the proposal because she loves him.
(b) She rejects the proposal because she never wants to get married.
(c) She rejects the proposal because she sees him as a brother.
(d) She accepts the proposal because she wants protection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ai-lan's mother trust Wu?
2. How long does Sheng live in America without leaving the city he lives in?
3. What excuse does Yuan use to stop kissing Mary?
4. Who does Yuan ask to reveal the truth about the bad news in his hometown?
5. Which of the following does Yuan bring back with him from America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bad news that Mary's family delivers to Yuan?
2. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches for a handout from him?
3. Does Yuan keep his hopes up about Mei-ling changing her mind about his proposal? Why or why not?
4. What is Yuan shocked by as he debarks from the train and rides with Meng through the city?
5. What reason does Mei-ling give for turning down Yuan's marriage proposal?
6. Why does Mary's father claim that Yuan and Mary are alike?
7. When Yuan is on the train to visit his father, what kind of people does he notice sitting around him?
8. What is Yuan thankful to Mary for as he leaves America?
9. What evidence of social change does Yuan experience on the boat on the way back to China?
10. When Yuan finds a letter from Mary in his room, what does it say?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)