|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches out to him?
(a) Smashes his hand with a shoe.
(b) Gives him a large sum of money.
(c) Slaps him across the face.
(d) Spits on him.
2. Why does Mary want Yuan to meet her in the garden?
(a) Mary has bad news for him.
(b) It is the only place they can be alone.
(c) A flower is getting ready to bloom.
(d) She needs help with her chores.
3. What social change has occurred since Yuan left for the United States?
(a) Women are not forced to marry.
(b) People no longer abandon their female children.
(c) There are no more poor people.
(d) Women can go to school.
4. Why does Yuan feel as if he should no longer live with his lady mother?
(a) Mei-ling turned down his proposal.
(b) Ai-lan is moving back in.
(c) His lady mother wants him to find a job.
(d) His father might find him.
5. What does Yuan base most of his opinions of people on?
(a) Outward appearance.
(b) The way they treat their elders.
(c) Their hygiene.
(d) Political opinions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "who is not selfish? We are all selfish"?
2. Who has killed the wife of Wang the Merchant?
3. How often does Yuan's father write to him when he's in America?
4. What does Yuan find physically unattractive about Mary?
5. Why does Yuan get angry at the women Sheng keeps company with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Yuan claims that the American people hide their poor because they are ashamed. Why might Yuan be considered hypocritical when he uses this argument?
2. Why does Mary's father claim that Yuan and Mary are alike?
3. In what ways does Yuan struggle with his pride?
4. How does Yuan feel about America when he leaves it?
5. Why does Yuan accept Meng's proposal to come work in the new capital city?
6. What is the bad news that Mary's family delivers to Yuan?
7. Does Yuan want to have a romantic relationship with Mary?
8. What reason does Mei-ling give for turning down Yuan's marriage proposal?
9. When Yuan is on the train to visit his father, what kind of people does he notice sitting around him?
10. What does Yuan learn about his father's financial situation when he visits?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)