|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Yuan and Mei-ling agree to do before Yuan leaves for the capital city?
(a) Both move to the capital city.
(b) Write to each other.
(c) Pay off Wang the Tiger.
(d) Get married.
2. Why is Yuan proud of Ai-lan?
(a) Her betrothed.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her beauty.
3. Which character has become a captain in the new army?
(b) Yuan's uncle.
(c) Yuan's father.
4. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches out to him?
(a) Smashes his hand with a shoe.
(b) Gives him a large sum of money.
(c) Slaps him across the face.
(d) Spits on him.
5. What social change has occurred since Yuan left for the United States?
(a) People no longer abandon their female children.
(b) There are no more poor people.
(c) Women are not forced to marry.
(d) Women can go to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Yuan when he debarks from the train?
2. What does Yuan discover about his uncle when he visits him after his return to China?
3. What has happened to Yuan's plot of land?
4. What allows Yuan to look past the fact that his teacher's family is American?
5. What does the teacher's daughter do when they attend church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Yuan keep his hopes up about Mei-ling changing her mind about his proposal? Why or why not?
2. What is Yuan thankful to Mary for as he leaves America?
3. Why does Yuan grow to like Mei-ling?
4. What is Yuan's reaction to the kiss he shares with Mary?
5. Yuan claims that the American people hide their poor because they are ashamed. Why might Yuan be considered hypocritical when he uses this argument?
6. Although Yuan has prejudices about the white people, why does he like his teacher's family?
7. Does Yuan want to have a romantic relationship with Mary?
8. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches for a handout from him?
9. How does Yuan incorporate his love of the land with teaching? What are his student's reactions?
10. Why does Yuan accept Meng's proposal to come work in the new capital city?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)