|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he's in the countryside, what does Yuan decide to do after he receives news about his father?
(a) He returns to school.
(b) He returns home.
(c) He stays in the countryside.
(d) He continues on his journey.
2. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
(a) When he meets the maid.
(b) When he dances with a woman for the first time.
(c) When he touches hands with the maid.
(d) When he talks to Ai-lan's mother about his father.
3. Who's friend is Wu Li-yang?
(d) Yuan's uncle.
4. Despite outward appearances, how does Yuan feel about his father?
(a) He despises him.
(b) He strives to be just like him.
(c) He admires him.
(d) He is proud of his hard work.
5. Why do other students claim that Yuan is such a good student?
(a) He has no life besides school work.
(b) His race gives him advantages.
(c) He has a good tutor.
(d) He is naturally gifted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuan claim he cannot join the revolutionaries?
2. Who says, "almost I understand how sons kill their fathers in these days"?
3. What does the maid do in response to Yuan's traditional behavior, such as bowing?
4. Why does Yuan stop riding his horse when he is in the countryside?
5. What does Yuan's "mother" want to ask Yuan's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
2. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
3. Why does Yuan go to the coastal city to see his sister and her mother?
4. What is the bad news that Mary's family delivers to Yuan?
5. Yuan claims that the American people hide their poor because they are ashamed. Why might Yuan be considered hypocritical when he uses this argument?
6. What is Yuan's reaction to the kiss he shares with Mary?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
8. Why does Yuan finally decide to learn to dance at the pleasure houses?
9. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
10. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)