|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sheng's occupation?
2. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
(a) She has opposing political beliefs.
(b) She is ugly and loud-mouthed.
(c) The room is too expensive.
(d) She is racist.
3. What makes Yuan feel trapped?
(a) His lack of education.
(b) His father's controlling love.
(c) His mother's lack of confidence in him.
(d) His lack of money.
4. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
(a) He has stolen from them before.
(b) He asked to borrow money from them.
(c) They think he is a spy.
(d) He has a reputation of being a thief.
5. Instead of joining the protests and other revolutionist activities, what does Yuan do?
(a) Visits his plot of land.
(b) Spends time at the home his "lady mother" runs.
(d) Goes dancing with Ai-lan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuan immediately become aware of when he enters the coastal city?
2. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
3. Why do parents abandon the children that Yuan's "lady mother" runs a home for?
4. How do the soldiers know to look for Yuan?
5. How does Yuan respond to his father's reaction to his appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yuan's reaction to the kiss he shares with Mary?
2. Why does Yuan grow to like Mei-ling?
3. How does Yuan feel about Ai-lan's baby? Why?
4. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
5. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches for a handout from him?
6. Why does Yuan accept Meng's proposal to come work in the new capital city?
7. What is the bad news that Mary's family delivers to Yuan?
8. Why is Yuan so focused in his studies in America?
9. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)