|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yuan respond to his father's reaction to his appearance?
(a) He's happy to see his dad despite his unexpected absence.
(b) He is scared and doesn't understand his father's reaction.
(c) He is angry and reacts aggressively.
(d) He reacts calmly and wants to talk to his father.
2. What is Meng's occupation?
3. Who says, "I cannot kill--I am not brave, I know"?
(b) Ai-lan's mother.
(d) Yuan's father.
4. Why does Yuan decide to stay at the old tenant's home?
(a) They have plenty of food to spare.
(b) He wants to work for them.
(c) His father is banned from the area.
(d) It is almost empty.
5. What does Yuan immediately become aware of when he enters the coastal city?
(a) The streets are filthy.
(b) That people are very suspicious of his prescence.
(c) The women are treated different.
(d) The differences between rich and poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Yuan live in the earthen house before his father's people find him?
2. What has Wang the Tiger chosen for Yuan?
3. What is Sheng's occupation?
4. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
5. What is Yuan still searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary's father claim that Yuan and Mary are alike?
2. In what ways are Yuan and Mei-ling alike?
3. Although Yuan has prejudices about the white people, why does he like his teacher's family?
4. How does Yuan feel about America when he leaves it?
5. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
6. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
7. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
8. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
9. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
10. In what ways does Yuan struggle with his pride?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)