|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Wang the Landlord?
(a) One of the tenants Yuan stayed with in the countryside.
(b) Yuan's uncle.
(c) Yuan's grandfather.
(d) Yuan's classmate.
2. What does Yuan burn before the soldiers come to raid the houses?
(a) A book about the revolutionary cause.
(b) A letter from his father.
(c) A letter from the maid.
(d) A childhood momento.
3. How does Yuan feel about the maid?
(a) He does not love her.
(b) He wants her to meet his father.
(c) He wants to marry her.
(d) He wants to spend more time with her.
4. What is Yuan's father wearing when he returns from his absence in Chapter 1?
(a) Stolen shoes.
(b) A revolutionary's uniform.
(c) A curtain-like robe.
(d) Muddy boots.
5. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
(a) That he never wants to see him again.
(b) That he will return to his "lady mother's" house.
(c) That he will return to his father's house.
(d) That he never wants to return to his homeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yuan feel about arranged marriage?
2. How old is Meng?
3. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
4. What does Yuan do as he watches his father warm his hands by the fire?
5. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
2. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
3. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
4. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
5. What reason does Yuan give for not being able to join the revolutionaries?
6. How does the maid turn into yet another trap for Yuan's freedom?
7. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
8. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
9. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
10. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)