|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
(a) It gives him time away from his father.
(b) It refreshes his creativity.
(c) He enjoys sight-seeing.
(d) He is afraid of being controlled.
2. What causes Jim and Yuan's relationship to end?
(a) Jim makes rude comments about Yuan's homeland.
(b) Jim insults Yuan's traditional views.
(c) Jim begins a relationship with the landlady's daughter.
(d) Jim begins a relationship with the landlady.
3. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
(a) She is ugly and loud-mouthed.
(b) She is racist.
(c) She has opposing political beliefs.
(d) The room is too expensive.
4. Why does Yuan dislike the 17-year-old daughter of the landlady?
(a) She dresses to gain the attention of men.
(b) She has not been properly educated.
(c) She is lazy and messy.
(d) She is very loud.
5. What does Yuan's "mother" want to ask Yuan's father?
(a) To free him from a prearranged marriage.
(b) To come live with them in the city.
(c) To keep Ai-lan safe.
(d) To protect Yuan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Yuan to start paying more attention to Ai-lan's female friends then he previously did?
2. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
3. What has Wang the Tiger chosen for Yuan?
4. Why does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to watch over Ai-lan?
5. Why does Yuan dislike being around the poor people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
2. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
3. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
4. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
5. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
6. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
7. What does the letter from Yuan's father in Chapter 1 say, and what is Yuan's reaction to it?
8. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
9. Why does Yuan go to the coastal city to see his sister and her mother?
10. How does Yuan feel when he is told that his father has arranged a marriage for him?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)