|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as having "the strangest shyness toward all females"?
(b) Wang the Tiger.
2. Why does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to watch over Ai-lan?
(a) Ai-lan has angered a neighbor who wants to hurt her.
(b) Ai-lan is a poor student.
(c) Ai-lan is sick.
(d) She doesn't approve of the company Ai-lan keeps.
3. Why is Yuan careful about what he tells his new friend Jim?
(a) He is ashamed of the life he lived with his father.
(b) He wants Jim to think highly of his homeland.
(c) He is suspicious of Jim's motives.
(d) He doesn't want Jim to know he was part of the revolutionary groups.
4. How long does Yuan live in the earthen house before his father's people find him?
(a) Six days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four days.
5. Why do parents abandon the children that Yuan's "lady mother" runs a home for?
(a) They are not healthy.
(b) They were not able to arrange marriages for them.
(c) They are girls.
(d) The families were too poor to take care of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wu Li-yang's occupation?
2. What does Ai-lan say she will teach Yuan to do?
3. Which character looks at the rich and fat with disdain?
4. How does Yuan feel about the maid?
5. How does Yuan feel about his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
2. Why does Yuan finally decide to learn to dance at the pleasure houses?
3. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
4. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
5. How do the villagers respond to Yuan leaving the countryside?
6. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
7. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
8. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
9. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
10. Why does Yuan go to the coastal city to see his sister and her mother?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)