|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Yuan arrives at his father's house?
(b) Late night.
(c) Early morning.
(d) Early afternoon.
2. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
(a) She doesn't want to be rude.
(b) She enjoys the company of strangers.
(c) It is forbidden for women to turn down a dance.
(d) She is desperate for a husband.
3. In Chapter 1 when Yuan is laying awake, what is he thinking about?
(a) Deciding what to do about his horse.
(b) Whether or not his father has figured out where he's gone.
(c) Whether or not he should go back home.
(d) Going back to school to complete his education.
4. Why does Yuan decide to stay at the old tenant's home?
(a) He wants to work for them.
(b) His father is banned from the area.
(c) It is almost empty.
(d) They have plenty of food to spare.
5. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
(a) It gives him time away from his father.
(b) He enjoys sight-seeing.
(c) It refreshes his creativity.
(d) He is afraid of being controlled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "almost I understand how sons kill their fathers in these days"?
2. What does Yuan's "mother" want to ask Yuan's father?
3. What does Yuan discover in his father's room?
4. What has Wang the Tiger chosen for Yuan?
5. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
2. Why does Yuan finally decide to learn to dance at the pleasure houses?
3. How does Yuan try to run away from himself?
4. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
5. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
6. What does Yuan do while he is in the countryside?
7. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
8. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
9. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
10. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)