|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who built the earthen house that Yuan stays?
(a) A prominent social figure in the town.
(b) Yuan's father.
(c) Yuan's grandfather.
(d) A mysterious man that many fear.
2. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
(a) The rich people of the region disgust him.
(b) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(c) He believes the poor people in foreign countries need more help.
(d) He doesn't want to fight for the common man.
3. Who says, "I cannot kill--I am not brave, I know"?
(c) Ai-lan's mother.
(d) Yuan's father.
4. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
(a) That he will return to his "lady mother's" house.
(b) That he never wants to see him again.
(c) That he will return to his father's house.
(d) That he never wants to return to his homeland.
5. Instead of joining the protests and other revolutionist activities, what does Yuan do?
(b) Visits his plot of land.
(c) Goes dancing with Ai-lan.
(d) Spends time at the home his "lady mother" runs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yuan feel about the maid?
2. Who does not talk when Yuan meets the rest of the family?
3. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
4. What does the maid write in her letter to Yuan?
5. What is Yuan still searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
2. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
3. Why does Yuan finally decide to learn to dance at the pleasure houses?
4. What does Yuan do when he sees the poor people outside the pleasure house? What does he think of the poor?
5. How does Yuan try to run away from himself?
6. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
7. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
8. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
9. When Yuan befriends the farmer who teaches him to use the hoe, why does he keep the relationship a secret?
10. When Yuan watches Wang the Tiger warm his hands by the fire and sees how frail he looks, how does he feel about him?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)