|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Yuan's father?
(a) He is a warlord.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a shopkeeper.
2. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
(a) Yuan completely lacks writing talent.
(b) Yuan is too ashamed.
(c) Yuan is not clear on the meaning himself.
(d) Yuan doesn't have enough life experiences.
3. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
(a) When he talks to Ai-lan's mother about his father.
(b) When he dances with a woman for the first time.
(c) When he touches hands with the maid.
(d) When he meets the maid.
4. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
(a) Fear and anxiety.
(b) Sorrow and regret.
(c) Relief and joy.
(d) Pride and admiration.
5. Why is Yuan envious of Sheng?
(a) Sheng is a better dancer.
(b) Sheng has better robes than Yuan.
(c) Sheng is often praised for his writing skills.
(d) Yuan's family praises Sheng more often.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
2. What do Yuan's reasons for staying at the home of the old tenants demonstrate?
3. Who is described as having "the strangest shyness toward all females"?
4. How does Yuan feel about arranged marriage?
5. What is Yuan's father wearing when he returns from his absence in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
2. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
3. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
4. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
5. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
6. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
7. How do the villagers respond to Yuan leaving the countryside?
8. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
9. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
10. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)