|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to watch over Ai-lan?
(a) She doesn't approve of the company Ai-lan keeps.
(b) Ai-lan has angered a neighbor who wants to hurt her.
(c) Ai-lan is a poor student.
(d) Ai-lan is sick.
2. What is the occupation of Yuan's father?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a shopkeeper.
(c) He is a warlord.
(d) He is a writer.
3. Who says, "I cannot kill--I am not brave, I know"?
(a) Yuan's father.
(b) Ai-lan's mother.
4. How old is Yuan when he arrives in America?
5. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
(a) Fear and anxiety.
(b) Pride and admiration.
(c) Relief and joy.
(d) Sorrow and regret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
2. What does Ai-lan point out about Yuan?
3. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
4. Who says, "almost I understand how sons kill their fathers in these days"?
5. What is Yuan's favorite subject to learn about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
2. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
3. How does Yuan feel when he is told that his father has arranged a marriage for him?
4. What does the letter from Yuan's father in Chapter 1 say, and what is Yuan's reaction to it?
5. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
6. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
7. What does Yuan do while he is in the countryside?
8. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
9. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
10. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)