|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yuan decide to attend church?
(a) He didn't have the freedom to attend in his homeland.
(b) He feels he needs to repent for joining the cause.
(c) Jim has invited him.
(d) A missionary who spent time in China is speaking.
2. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
(a) The rich people of the region disgust him.
(b) He doesn't want to fight for the common man.
(c) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(d) He believes the poor people in foreign countries need more help.
3. Why do other students claim that Yuan is such a good student?
(a) He has a good tutor.
(b) He is naturally gifted.
(c) His race gives him advantages.
(d) He has no life besides school work.
4. When Yuan attends the secret meeting, how is he regarded by the rest of the members?
(a) They purposely ignore him.
(b) They are immediately suspicious of him.
(c) They are too busy to notice him.
(d) They are immediately happy to have him.
5. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
(a) He has stolen from them before.
(b) He asked to borrow money from them.
(c) He has a reputation of being a thief.
(d) They think he is a spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers know to look for Yuan?
2. Who is Ai-lan?
3. What does the maid write in her letter to Yuan?
4. What causes Yuan to start paying more attention to Ai-lan's female friends then he previously did?
5. Why does Yuan enjoy traveling alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
2. What is Yuan thankful to Mary for as he leaves America?
3. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
4. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
5. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
6. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
7. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
8. What is the bad news that Mary's family delivers to Yuan?
9. What does Yuan learn about his father's financial situation when he visits?
10. What reason does Yuan give for not being able to join the revolutionaries?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)