|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yuan immediately become aware of when he enters the coastal city?
(a) The women are treated different.
(b) The differences between rich and poor.
(c) That people are very suspicious of his prescence.
(d) The streets are filthy.
2. How does Yuan feel when he wears his new clothes and looks in the mirror?
(a) He is self-conscious.
(b) He is jealous of Ai-lan.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He is proud.
3. What is Meng's occupation?
4. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
(a) He asked to borrow money from them.
(b) He has a reputation of being a thief.
(c) He has stolen from them before.
(d) They think he is a spy.
5. When Yuan attends the secret meeting, how is he regarded by the rest of the members?
(a) They are too busy to notice him.
(b) They purposely ignore him.
(c) They are immediately happy to have him.
(d) They are immediately suspicious of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to do?
2. Who does not talk when Yuan meets the rest of the family?
3. How does Yuan feel about the maid?
4. Why does Yuan dislike the 17-year-old daughter of the landlady?
5. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
2. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
3. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
4. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
5. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
6. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
7. When Yuan befriends the farmer who teaches him to use the hoe, why does he keep the relationship a secret?
8. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
9. Why is Yuan so focused in his studies in America?
10. How does the maid turn into yet another trap for Yuan's freedom?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)