|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1 when Yuan is laying awake, what is he thinking about?
(a) Whether or not he should go back home.
(b) Going back to school to complete his education.
(c) Deciding what to do about his horse.
(d) Whether or not his father has figured out where he's gone.
2. What is Yuan's inner struggle?
(a) Going against tradition.
(b) Finding somebody he loves.
(c) Trying to gain the acceptance of his father.
(d) Being away from his father.
3. When he's in the countryside, what does Yuan decide to do after he receives news about his father?
(a) He continues on his journey.
(b) He returns home.
(c) He stays in the countryside.
(d) He returns to school.
4. How long does Yuan plan to spend in America?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Ten years.
5. Why does Yuan find himself hating tradition?
(a) It stifles creativity.
(b) It prevents him in finding true love.
(c) It is a tool used by his father to manipulate him.
(d) It takes away his freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuan immediately become aware of when he enters the coastal city?
2. When the soldiers arrive at Yuan's school, what are they searching for?
3. What does Yuan's "mother" think he should do about his father?
4. What is Yuan's father wearing when he returns from his absence in Chapter 1?
5. How old is Yuan when he arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
2. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
3. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
4. How does Yuan feel when he is told that his father has arranged a marriage for him?
5. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
6. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
7. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
8. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
9. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
10. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)