|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
(a) She is racist.
(b) She is ugly and loud-mouthed.
(c) She has opposing political beliefs.
(d) The room is too expensive.
2. What does Yuan use the plot of land for?
(a) A science experiment.
(b) He goes there to write.
(c) He meets there with other revolutionists.
(d) A school project.
3. What has Wang the Tiger chosen for Yuan?
(a) A new home.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A new school.
(d) A wife.
4. What is Wu Li-yang's occupation?
5. When the soldiers arrive at Yuan's school, what are they searching for?
(a) Meng, because of his association with the cause.
(b) Ai-lan, because she has behaved inappropriately.
(c) Yuan, to bring him back to his father.
(d) Students that belong to the cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuan find himself hating tradition?
2. What does Yuan think of the poor people in the city?
3. Why does Yuan decide to attend church?
4. When Yuan attends the secret meeting, how is he regarded by the rest of the members?
5. How old is Yuan when he arrives in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
2. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
3. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
4. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
5. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
6. How do the villagers respond to Yuan leaving the countryside?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
8. How does Yuan feel when he is told that his father has arranged a marriage for him?
9. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
10. Why is Yuan so focused in his studies in America?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)