|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yuan feel after thinking about the maid when he should be sleeping?
2. What does Ai-lan point out about Yuan?
(a) That he lacks education to work in the city.
(b) That his demeanor is very similar to his father's.
(c) That he is old-fashioned.
(d) That he is very naive.
3. Why does Yuan's father claim to have spared the lives of 173 men?
(a) He did not have sufficient time to kill them.
(b) For Yuan's sake.
(c) He lacked the manpower to kill all the men.
(d) Yuan's mother asked him to.
4. Who built the earthen house that Yuan stays?
(a) A mysterious man that many fear.
(b) A prominent social figure in the town.
(c) Yuan's grandfather.
(d) Yuan's father.
5. What does the maid write in her letter to Yuan?
(a) That she will meet him at the pleasure house.
(b) That she desperately wants to marry him.
(c) That she loves him but doesn't need marriage.
(d) That he must join the revolutionaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
2. What do the two women come to tell Yuan about his father?
3. What is Sheng's occupation?
4. Who says, "I cannot kill--I am not brave, I know"?
5. Why does Yuan claim he cannot join the revolutionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
2. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
3. When Yuan watches Wang the Tiger warm his hands by the fire and sees how frail he looks, how does he feel about him?
4. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
5. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
6. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
7. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
8. Why does Yuan go to the coastal city to see his sister and her mother?
9. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
10. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)