Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
(a) She is desperate for a husband.
(b) She enjoys the company of strangers.
(c) It is forbidden for women to turn down a dance.
(d) She doesn't want to be rude.
2. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
(a) She has opposing political beliefs.
(b) She is ugly and loud-mouthed.
(c) She is racist.
(d) The room is too expensive.
3. How does Yuan feel about his studies?
(a) He has trouble learning in his environment.
(b) He despises studying.
(c) He enjoys school and learning.
(d) He thinks it's a waste of time.
4. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
(a) Relief and joy.
(b) Pride and admiration.
(c) Fear and anxiety.
(d) Sorrow and regret.
5. Why doesn't Yuan want to wear his hat when he gets it back from the white man?
(a) It still has the other man's smell on it.
(b) He realizes that it isn't his hat.
(c) The man dropped it on the ground before giving it back.
(d) The weather is too warm to wear a hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the maid do in response to Yuan's traditional behavior, such as bowing?
2. What time is it when Yuan arrives at his father's house?
3. What does Yuan do in response to his father arranging a marriage for him?
4. What does Ai-lan say she will teach Yuan to do?
5. What does the maid write in her letter to Yuan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Mei-ling give for turning down Yuan's marriage proposal?
2. When Yuan is on the train to visit his father, what kind of people does he notice sitting around him?
3. How does Yuan try to run away from himself?
4. What does Yuan learn about his father's financial situation when he visits?
5. Does Yuan keep his hopes up about Mei-ling changing her mind about his proposal? Why or why not?
6. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
7. Yuan claims that the American people hide their poor because they are ashamed. Why might Yuan be considered hypocritical when he uses this argument?
8. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
9. What does Yuan bring back to China with him from America?
10. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)