|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the family meeting to discuss the marriage, why do the elders say only very little?
(a) They are not able to come up with any solution.
(b) They don't want to offend anybody.
(c) They don't care about the problem.
(d) They are not allowed to speak at the meeting.
2. Why is Yuan envious of Sheng?
(a) Sheng is a better dancer.
(b) Sheng is often praised for his writing skills.
(c) Yuan's family praises Sheng more often.
(d) Sheng has better robes than Yuan.
3. Why is Yuan careful about what he tells his new friend Jim?
(a) He is suspicious of Jim's motives.
(b) He doesn't want Jim to know he was part of the revolutionary groups.
(c) He wants Jim to think highly of his homeland.
(d) He is ashamed of the life he lived with his father.
4. What does Yuan do as he watches his father warm his hands by the fire?
(a) He hands his father a note he has written.
(b) He almost reaches out to touch them but decides against it.
(c) He grasps his father's hands tightly.
(d) He turns away because he can't bear to look at him.
5. Why does Yuan have trouble finding somebody to rent him a room?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His race.
(d) His lack of communication skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yuan still searching for?
2. What is Yuan's inner struggle?
3. What do the two women come to tell Yuan about his father?
4. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
5. How does Yuan respond to his father's reaction to his appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yuan do when he sees the poor people outside the pleasure house? What does he think of the poor?
2. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
3. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
4. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
5. What does Yuan do while he is in the countryside?
6. What does Yuan think of the women at the pleasure houses?
7. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
8. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
9. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
10. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)