|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yuan feel about the maid?
(a) He wants her to meet his father.
(b) He wants to spend more time with her.
(c) He wants to marry her.
(d) He does not love her.
2. What is the occupation of the person Yuan befriends, but keeps a secret?
3. What does Yuan notice about his "lady mother" when they eat dinner?
(a) She is timid and seems to fear speaking up.
(b) She can keep Ai-lan quiet without saying a word.
(c) She likes to talk about the work the revolutionaries are doing.
(d) She has very few table manners.
4. What does Yuan do in response to his father arranging a marriage for him?
(a) He sits outside to think it over.
(b) He convinces his father that it's a bad idea.
(c) He sits with his father and discusses a trip.
(d) He flees on horseback.
5. What does Yuan's "mother" think he should do about his father?
(a) Contact him to tell him where he is.
(b) Send a guard to his home to kill him.
(c) Go home to make sure he is still alive.
(d) Forget that he exists and stay in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to watch over Ai-lan?
2. Why does Yuan's father claim to have spared the lives of 173 men?
3. What reason does Yuan give to Meng for not joining the cause?
4. Who is described as having "the strangest shyness toward all females"?
5. Who does Yuan find himself holding hands with after they ask him to join the revolutionaries' cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the villagers respond to Yuan leaving the countryside?
2. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
3. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
4. When the group of farmers crowd Yuan's room, what does the eldest say to him?
5. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
6. After he finds out his father is sick, why do the guards accompany Yuan back to his father's home?
7. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
8. How does Yuan try to run away from himself?
9. What does Yuan do when he sees the poor people outside the pleasure house? What does he think of the poor?
10. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)