|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yuan feel about arranged marriage?
(a) He despises it and vows to never talk to his father again.
(b) He understands it, but is still angry at his father.
(c) He is proud of his father's choice.
(d) He accepts it and becomes excited.
2. Why is Yuan envious of Sheng?
(a) Sheng has better robes than Yuan.
(b) Sheng is a better dancer.
(c) Sheng is often praised for his writing skills.
(d) Yuan's family praises Sheng more often.
3. Who is Wang the Landlord?
(a) One of the tenants Yuan stayed with in the countryside.
(b) Yuan's uncle.
(c) Yuan's classmate.
(d) Yuan's grandfather.
4. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
(a) Yuan is too ashamed.
(b) Yuan doesn't have enough life experiences.
(c) Yuan completely lacks writing talent.
(d) Yuan is not clear on the meaning himself.
5. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
(a) He has stolen from them before.
(b) They think he is a spy.
(c) He has a reputation of being a thief.
(d) He asked to borrow money from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the maid do in response to Yuan's traditional behavior, such as bowing?
2. What does Ai-lan point out about Yuan?
3. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
4. What is the one thing Yuan will miss when he is abroad?
5. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
2. What does the letter from Yuan's father in Chapter 1 say, and what is Yuan's reaction to it?
3. How does Yuan try to run away from himself?
4. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
5. When Yuan watches Wang the Tiger warm his hands by the fire and sees how frail he looks, how does he feel about him?
6. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
7. When Yuan is sitting by his ill father at the fire, what causes Yuan to start to resent him again?
8. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
9. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
10. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)