|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Yuan's father?
(a) He is a shopkeeper.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a warlord.
2. When the soldiers arrive at Yuan's school, what are they searching for?
(a) Students that belong to the cause.
(b) Ai-lan, because she has behaved inappropriately.
(c) Meng, because of his association with the cause.
(d) Yuan, to bring him back to his father.
3. At the family meeting to discuss the marriage, why do the elders say only very little?
(a) They don't care about the problem.
(b) They are not allowed to speak at the meeting.
(c) They don't want to offend anybody.
(d) They are not able to come up with any solution.
4. Why is Yuan careful about what he tells his new friend Jim?
(a) He doesn't want Jim to know he was part of the revolutionary groups.
(b) He is suspicious of Jim's motives.
(c) He is ashamed of the life he lived with his father.
(d) He wants Jim to think highly of his homeland.
5. How old is Yuan when he arrives in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yuan feel about his studies?
2. Instead of joining the protests and other revolutionist activities, what does Yuan do?
3. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
4. What reason does Yuan give to Meng for not joining the cause?
5. What is Yuan's inner struggle?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Yuan befriends the farmer who teaches him to use the hoe, why does he keep the relationship a secret?
2. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
3. Why does Yuan have reservations about joining the revolutionary cause?
4. What is Yuan's reaction to his reflection in the mirror when he first tries on city clothes?
5. When Yuan travels to the earthen home that once belonged to his grandfather, why do the people look at him suspiciously?
6. How does the maid turn into yet another trap for Yuan's freedom?
7. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
8. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
9. What does the letter from Yuan's father in Chapter 1 say, and what is Yuan's reaction to it?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)