|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
(a) When he dances with a woman for the first time.
(b) When he meets the maid.
(c) When he talks to Ai-lan's mother about his father.
(d) When he touches hands with the maid.
2. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
(a) It is forbidden for women to turn down a dance.
(b) She is desperate for a husband.
(c) She doesn't want to be rude.
(d) She enjoys the company of strangers.
3. How does Yuan respond to his father's reaction to his appearance?
(a) He is scared and doesn't understand his father's reaction.
(b) He is angry and reacts aggressively.
(c) He reacts calmly and wants to talk to his father.
(d) He's happy to see his dad despite his unexpected absence.
4. Why does Yuan claim he cannot join the revolutionaries?
(a) He doesn't have the right uniform.
(b) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(c) He could never kill a man.
(d) His father would disapprove.
5. Who says, "I cannot kill--I am not brave, I know"?
(b) Ai-lan's mother.
(d) Yuan's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yuan find himself holding hands with after they ask him to join the revolutionaries' cause?
2. How does Yuan show a lack of courtesy towards the old tenants, besides inviting himself into their home?
3. In Chapter 1 when Yuan is laying awake, what is he thinking about?
4. What does Yuan's "mother" want to ask Yuan's father?
5. What is Meng's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yuan do while he is in the countryside?
2. In what way is Yuan changed after the maid touches his hand?
3. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
4. What reason does Yuan give for not being able to join the revolutionaries?
5. How do the villagers respond to Yuan leaving the countryside?
6. How is danger for the revolutionaries foreshadowed when Yuan, Ai-lan, and the lady mother are on the way to meet Yuan's uncle?
7. What reason does Yuan's teacher give for Yuan not being able to give the meaning of his own poem?
8. Why does Yuan seem to despise the American people?
9. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
10. Why does Yuan go to the coastal city to see his sister and her mother?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)