|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to watch over Ai-lan?
(a) Ai-lan is a poor student.
(b) She doesn't approve of the company Ai-lan keeps.
(c) Ai-lan is sick.
(d) Ai-lan has angered a neighbor who wants to hurt her.
2. What does the letter Yuan receives from his father say?
(a) That the prearranged marriage is going on as planned.
(b) That he wants to cancel the prearranged marriage.
(c) That his ailments are only getting worse.
(d) That he wants Yuan to come home immediately.
3. What is the one thing Yuan will miss when he is abroad?
(b) The pleasure houses.
(c) The plot of land.
(d) His lady mother.
4. Who does not talk when Yuan meets the rest of the family?
(c) Ai-lan's mother.
5. When Yuan is alone with the old tenants, why are they suspicious of his motives?
(a) They think he is a spy.
(b) He has stolen from them before.
(c) He asked to borrow money from them.
(d) He has a reputation of being a thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to do?
2. Why does Yuan have trouble finding somebody to rent him a room?
3. Why doesn't Yuan want to wear his hat when he gets it back from the white man?
4. What is Yuan still searching for?
5. Who is described as having "the strangest shyness toward all females"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Yuan give for not being able to join the revolutionaries?
2. How does Yuan feel when he is told that his father has arranged a marriage for him?
3. What is the one thing that does not cut off Yuan from the poor around him?
4. Why do Sheng and Yuan separate once they arrive in America?
5. How does Sheng represent tradition? How does Meng represent revolution?
6. Why is Yuan so proud to call Ai-lan's mother his own mother?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Yuan feel trapped?
8. What first gives Yuan the courage to stand up against his father about the arranged marriage?
9. What finally pushes Yuan to join the cause?
10. Why does Yuan sometimes make his homeland seem more perfect than it is?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)