|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yuan suddenly despise the common men and beggars?
(a) They make a bad impression.
(b) They do not speak in an educated manner.
(c) They are dirty.
(d) They are rude.
2. What is Mei-ling's goal?
(a) To become a doctor.
(b) To travel to America.
(c) To become a nurse.
(d) To get married and bear children.
3. What does Yuan say about the two Chinese brothers?
(a) They are not really brothers.
(b) They are not educated.
(c) They are from the south and not really Chinese.
(d) They are not as funny as they think they are.
4. What social change has occurred since Yuan left for the United States?
(a) Women can go to school.
(b) There are no more poor people.
(c) People no longer abandon their female children.
(d) Women are not forced to marry.
5. Who invites Yuan to come work in the new capital city?
(b) Wang the Merchant.
(d) Wang the Tiger.
6. Who has killed the wife of Wang the Merchant?
(b) Wang the Tiger.
(c) A local bandit.
7. What is one thing that Yuan likes about Mei-ling?
(a) She shows respect for men.
(b) She wants to help others.
(c) She is educated.
(d) She is not easily swayed.
8. Who does Yuan want to say good-bye to more than anybody else when he leaves to go to the Capital city?
(a) His uncle.
(c) His lady mother.
9. What does Yuan base most of his opinions of people on?
(a) Their hygiene.
(b) Outward appearance.
(c) Political opinions.
(d) The way they treat their elders.
10. What has happened to Yuan's plot of land?
(a) The maid has been waiting there for him.
(b) The farmer is still planting on it.
(c) The harvest is doing well.
(d) It's been developed into a busy area.
11. What do the two Chinese brothers do that humiliates Yuan so much?
(a) They tell Mary that America is better than China.
(b) They put on a comedy act.
(c) They insult Yuan's father.
(d) They insult Mary.
12. Which character has become a captain in the new army?
(b) Yuan's uncle.
(c) Yuan's father.
13. What do Yuan and Mei-ling agree to do before Yuan leaves for the capital city?
(a) Get married.
(b) Both move to the capital city.
(c) Write to each other.
(d) Pay off Wang the Tiger.
14. What emotion does Yuan feel after he and Mary kiss?
15. Why doesn't Yuan have romantic feelings towards Mary?
(a) She is not the same race as he is.
(b) She is not as educated as he is.
(c) She is not attractive enough.
(d) She is disrespectful toward her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Yuan bring back with him from America?
2. What does Mei-ling do when Yuan writes to her that he still loves her and will wait for her?
3. Why is Yuan proud of Ai-lan?
4. Why is Mary embarrassed of her parents?
5. How does Yuan feel about Mary's letter?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)