|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yuan discover about his uncle when he visits him after his return to China?
(a) He has become wealthier.
(b) He has spent more time with Yuan's father.
(c) He has lost weight.
(d) He has become very poor.
2. When Yuan proposes to a female character, how does she respond?
(a) She rejects the proposal because she sees him as a brother.
(b) She accepts the proposal because she loves him.
(c) She accepts the proposal because she wants protection.
(d) She rejects the proposal because she never wants to get married.
3. When Yuan wakes up on the train, what does he find the train has stopped next to?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A river.
(c) A dead horse.
(d) A poverty-stricken piece of land.
4. How long does Sheng live in America without leaving the city he lives in?
(a) One year.
(b) Six years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Four years.
5. What is Mei-ling's goal?
(a) To get married and bear children.
(b) To become a doctor.
(c) To travel to America.
(d) To become a nurse.
6. What is the bad news that Yuan receives about his hometown?
(a) His father has died.
(b) Ai-lan has died.
(c) Revolutionaries have attacked white men.
(d) Revolutionaries have given up on their cause.
7. How does Yuan's class first respond to being taken outdoors?
(a) They boycott the class.
(b) They complain to Yuan's superiors.
(c) They complain.
(d) They are ecstatic.
8. What allows Yuan to look past the fact that his teacher's family is American?
(a) They are kind to him.
(b) They have a lot of wealth.
(c) They have ancestors from his homeland.
(d) His teacher reminds him of his father.
9. Who says, "they feel because you are what you are, how glorious to win you to their cause "?
(c) Yuan's teacher.
10. In what two ways does Yuan's teacher believe Yuan and Mary are alike?
(a) Youth and education.
(b) Rebellion and caution.
(c) Youth and tradition.
(d) Youth and rebellion.
11. What does the teacher's daughter do when they attend church?
(a) She is more interested in showing off her clothes than worshipping.
(b) She prays enthusiastically.
(c) She spends more time socializing than worshipping.
(d) She coldly stares straight ahead.
12. What does Wu do when a beggar reaches out to him?
(a) Gives him a large sum of money.
(b) Slaps him across the face.
(c) Spits on him.
(d) Smashes his hand with a shoe.
13. Who is described as being idealistic?
(c) The teacher's daughter.
(d) The teacher.
14. What is Yuan's room at the inn like?
(a) It is more beautiful than any other room he has seen.
(b) It lacks any furniture.
(c) It is shared with other men.
(d) It's extremely filthy.
15. What does Yuan take his students outdoors to do?
(a) Study the capital's social changes.
(c) Visit the poor.
(d) Beg for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yuan often exchange letters with when he's in America?
2. What social change has occurred since Yuan left for the United States?
3. How does Yuan feel about Mary's letter?
4. Which character has become a captain in the new army?
5. Who does Yuan describe as having the loudest laughter of everybody?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)