|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Yuan feel after he and Mary kiss?
2. Which woman invites Yuan over for a "special purpose"?
(a) The landlady's daughter.
(c) The landlady.
3. When Yuan proposes to a female character, how does she respond?
(a) She accepts the proposal because she loves him.
(b) She rejects the proposal because she sees him as a brother.
(c) She rejects the proposal because she never wants to get married.
(d) She accepts the proposal because she wants protection.
4. Who does Yuan want to marry?
(d) The maid.
5. What does the teacher's daughter feel her father possesses?
6. Who suggests that Yuan take his class outdoors?
7. What drink does Yuan stomach out of politeness?
(b) Hot tea.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Hot milk.
8. How old is Mei-ling when Yuan returns to China from America?
9. How does Yuan feel about Mary's letter?
10. What does Yuan try to convince Mary about those from his homeland?
(a) They are morally superior to Americans.
(b) They are more respectful towards others.
(c) They do not suffer from poverty.
(d) They have come up with the solution to all humanity's problems.
11. How often does Yuan's father write to him when he's in America?
(a) Once every three months.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once every six months.
(d) Once each year.
12. What does Yuan base most of his opinions of people on?
(a) Their hygiene.
(b) Political opinions.
(c) The way they treat their elders.
(d) Outward appearance.
13. Why does Yuan feel as if he should no longer live with his lady mother?
(a) Ai-lan is moving back in.
(b) His father might find him.
(c) Mei-ling turned down his proposal.
(d) His lady mother wants him to find a job.
14. What excuse does Yuan use to stop kissing Mary?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He is too cold.
(c) He needs to tell her father something.
(d) He has an assignment to work on.
15. What does Mary fear?
(a) That Yuan will not become Christian.
(b) That Yuan will lose interest in her.
(c) That her father will drive Yuan away.
(d) That Yuan will return to his country as a Christian leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Yuan have romantic feelings towards Mary?
2. What allows Yuan to look past the fact that his teacher's family is American?
3. Why does Yuan suddenly despise the common men and beggars?
4. Why does Yuan get angry at the women Sheng keeps company with?
5. What has happened to Yuan's plot of land?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)