|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yuan's father claim to have spared the lives of 173 men?
(a) He did not have sufficient time to kill them.
(b) He lacked the manpower to kill all the men.
(c) Yuan's mother asked him to.
(d) For Yuan's sake.
2. How old is Yuan when he arrives in America?
3. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
(a) That he will return to his father's house.
(b) That he never wants to return to his homeland.
(c) That he never wants to see him again.
(d) That he will return to his "lady mother's" house.
4. What causes Yuan to remain solitary when he's in America?
(a) His lack of communication skills.
(b) He is suspicious of Americans.
(c) His writing consumes his life.
(d) His native pride.
5. Why does Yuan dislike being around the poor people?
(a) They ask him for money.
(b) They grab him.
(c) They cannot read.
(d) They smell bad.
6. What does Yuan burn before the soldiers come to raid the houses?
(a) A book about the revolutionary cause.
(b) A letter from his father.
(c) A letter from the maid.
(d) A childhood momento.
7. What does Yuan use the plot of land for?
(a) A school project.
(b) He goes there to write.
(c) He meets there with other revolutionists.
(d) A science experiment.
8. Why are guards accompanying Yuan on his way back home?
(a) They think he might try to escape.
(b) They are good friends with him.
(c) They have directions that he must follow.
(d) They are trying to protect him.
9. What is Yuan still searching for?
(a) A new home.
(c) True love.
(d) His father's acceptance.
10. What word is considered a dangerous one in the city?
11. What is Yuan afraid of while he is living with Ai-lan and her mother?
(a) That Ai-lan is going to deceive him.
(b) That his father will die without forgiving him.
(c) That his father will send soldiers to bring him back home.
(d) That his father will try to kill him.
12. Who is Ai-lan?
(a) Yuan's mother.
(b) Yuan's grandmother.
(c) Yuan's sister.
(d) Yuan's former classmate.
13. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
(a) The rich people of the region disgust him.
(b) He doesn't want to fight for the common man.
(c) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(d) He believes the poor people in foreign countries need more help.
14. What emotions are on the faces of the villagers as Yuan is leaving?
(a) Pride and admiration.
(b) Fear and anxiety.
(c) Sorrow and regret.
(d) Relief and joy.
15. What is Yuan's favorite subject to learn about?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
2. What causes Jim and Yuan's relationship to end?
3. What is Sheng's occupation?
4. Why does Yuan claim he cannot join the revolutionaries?
5. What is Yuan's inner struggle?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)