|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Yuan arrives at his father's house?
(a) Early morning.
(c) Late night.
(d) Early afternoon.
2. Why do parents abandon the children that Yuan's "lady mother" runs a home for?
(a) They are not healthy.
(b) They are girls.
(c) The families were too poor to take care of them.
(d) They were not able to arrange marriages for them.
3. Who does not talk when Yuan meets the rest of the family?
(b) Ai-lan's mother.
4. What does the letter Yuan receives from his father say?
(a) That the prearranged marriage is going on as planned.
(b) That he wants Yuan to come home immediately.
(c) That he wants to cancel the prearranged marriage.
(d) That his ailments are only getting worse.
5. At what point does Yuan begin looking at women differently?
(a) When he dances with a woman for the first time.
(b) When he meets the maid.
(c) When he talks to Ai-lan's mother about his father.
(d) When he touches hands with the maid.
6. When Yuan writes to his father from America, what does he tell him?
(a) That he never wants to return to his homeland.
(b) That he will return to his father's house.
(c) That he will return to his "lady mother's" house.
(d) That he never wants to see him again.
7. How does Yuan feel when he wears his new clothes and looks in the mirror?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He is ashamed.
(c) He is jealous of Ai-lan.
(d) He is self-conscious.
8. What is Yuan still searching for?
(a) A new home.
(b) True love.
(c) His father's acceptance.
9. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
(a) He believes the poor people in foreign countries need more help.
(b) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(c) He doesn't want to fight for the common man.
(d) The rich people of the region disgust him.
10. What does Ai-lan point out about Yuan?
(a) That he is very naive.
(b) That he is old-fashioned.
(c) That his demeanor is very similar to his father's.
(d) That he lacks education to work in the city.
11. Why does Yuan dislike the 17-year-old daughter of the landlady?
(a) She is lazy and messy.
(b) She has not been properly educated.
(c) She dresses to gain the attention of men.
(d) She is very loud.
12. What does Yuan do to get the money to travel to the coastal city?
(a) He sells his horse.
(b) He gets money from his father.
(c) He steals from a beggar.
(d) He sells his clothes.
13. Why is Yuan envious of Sheng?
(a) Sheng is often praised for his writing skills.
(b) Sheng is a better dancer.
(c) Sheng has better robes than Yuan.
(d) Yuan's family praises Sheng more often.
14. What does Yuan immediately become aware of when he enters the coastal city?
(a) The differences between rich and poor.
(b) The streets are filthy.
(c) The women are treated different.
(d) That people are very suspicious of his prescence.
15. What does Ai-lan's mother want Yuan to do?
(a) Find work as soon as possible.
(b) Never bother her again.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Marry Ai-lan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yuan's inner struggle?
2. What is the occupation of Yuan's father?
3. What does Ai-lan say she will teach Yuan to do?
4. What does Yuan's "mother" want to ask Yuan's father?
5. Why does Yuan decide to stay at the old tenant's home?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)