|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Yuan live in the earthen house before his father's people find him?
(a) Six days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
2. What does Yuan notice about his "lady mother" when they eat dinner?
(a) She is timid and seems to fear speaking up.
(b) She can keep Ai-lan quiet without saying a word.
(c) She likes to talk about the work the revolutionaries are doing.
(d) She has very few table manners.
3. Why does Sheng want go abroad and never return?
(a) He doesn't believe a revolution is necessary.
(b) He believes the poor people in foreign countries need more help.
(c) The rich people of the region disgust him.
(d) He doesn't want to fight for the common man.
4. What is Yuan's favorite subject to learn about?
5. What is the one thing Yuan will miss when he is abroad?
(a) The pleasure houses.
(b) The plot of land.
(c) His lady mother.
6. Who is Ai-lan?
(a) Yuan's sister.
(b) Yuan's mother.
(c) Yuan's grandmother.
(d) Yuan's former classmate.
7. What does Yuan use the plot of land for?
(a) A school project.
(b) A science experiment.
(c) He meets there with other revolutionists.
(d) He goes there to write.
8. Why doesn't Yuan want to rent a room from the woman who runs the only home willing to rent him a room?
(a) She has opposing political beliefs.
(b) She is ugly and loud-mouthed.
(c) She is racist.
(d) The room is too expensive.
9. What does Yuan do to get the money to travel to the coastal city?
(a) He steals from a beggar.
(b) He gets money from his father.
(c) He sells his clothes.
(d) He sells his horse.
10. What causes Yuan to start paying more attention to Ai-lan's female friends then he previously did?
(a) His "lady mother" convinced him he should.
(b) Ai-lan convinced him to pay more attention to them.
(c) His father's letter about the arranged marriage.
(d) The maid's jealousy of them.
11. Who built the earthen house that Yuan stays?
(a) A prominent social figure in the town.
(b) Yuan's father.
(c) Yuan's grandfather.
(d) A mysterious man that many fear.
12. Why does Yuan decide to stay at the old tenant's home?
(a) He wants to work for them.
(b) His father is banned from the area.
(c) They have plenty of food to spare.
(d) It is almost empty.
13. Why does Yuan's father claim to have spared the lives of 173 men?
(a) He did not have sufficient time to kill them.
(b) For Yuan's sake.
(c) He lacked the manpower to kill all the men.
(d) Yuan's mother asked him to.
14. Why does Yuan stop riding his horse when he is in the countryside?
(a) He sustains an injury and has trouble riding.
(b) People believe he is mistreating it.
(c) He doesn't know how to take care of a horse.
(d) It makes people think he is a soldier.
15. What does Ai-lan point out about Yuan?
(a) That he lacks education to work in the city.
(b) That he is old-fashioned.
(c) That he is very naive.
(d) That his demeanor is very similar to his father's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of joining the protests and other revolutionist activities, what does Yuan do?
2. According to Yuan's teacher, why can't Yuan explain the meaning of his poem?
3. Who is Wang the Landlord?
4. Who's friend is Wu Li-yang?
5. How does Yuan feel about arranged marriage?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)