|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yuan's favorite subject to learn about?
2. At the family meeting to discuss the marriage, why do the elders say only very little?
(a) They are not allowed to speak at the meeting.
(b) They don't want to offend anybody.
(c) They are not able to come up with any solution.
(d) They don't care about the problem.
3. What is Meng's occupation?
4. What is Yuan's father wearing when he returns from his absence in Chapter 1?
(a) A revolutionary's uniform.
(b) Muddy boots.
(c) Stolen shoes.
(d) A curtain-like robe.
5. What makes Yuan feel trapped?
(a) His lack of money.
(b) His mother's lack of confidence in him.
(c) His lack of education.
(d) His father's controlling love.
6. Who does not talk when Yuan meets the rest of the family?
(a) Ai-lan's mother.
7. What does Yuan do in response to his father arranging a marriage for him?
(a) He sits with his father and discusses a trip.
(b) He sits outside to think it over.
(c) He flees on horseback.
(d) He convinces his father that it's a bad idea.
8. Why does Yuan have trouble finding somebody to rent him a room?
(a) His lack of communication skills.
(b) His race.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His clothing.
9. What does the maid do in response to Yuan's traditional behavior, such as bowing?
(a) She ignores it.
(b) She reprimands him for it.
(c) She tells him that he should reserve these courtesies for others.
(d) She thanks him for his courtesies.
10. What does Ai-lan say she will teach Yuan to do?
(a) Be independent.
11. What is the one thing Yuan will miss when he is abroad?
(a) His lady mother.
(c) The pleasure houses.
(d) The plot of land.
12. Which of the following is a common theme throughout the first part of the book?
(a) Running from one's self.
(b) Family pride.
(c) Being scared of war.
(d) Dealing with the absence of a father.
13. Why does Yuan's father claim to have spared the lives of 173 men?
(a) He did not have sufficient time to kill them.
(b) Yuan's mother asked him to.
(c) He lacked the manpower to kill all the men.
(d) For Yuan's sake.
14. How long does Yuan live in the earthen house before his father's people find him?
(a) Four days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six days.
15. Why does Ai-lan dance with people she doesn't want to dance with?
(a) She doesn't want to be rude.
(b) It is forbidden for women to turn down a dance.
(c) She is desperate for a husband.
(d) She enjoys the company of strangers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Yuan give to Meng for not joining the cause?
2. What is the occupation of Yuan's father?
3. How do the soldiers know to look for Yuan?
4. Why are guards accompanying Yuan on his way back home?
5. How long does Yuan plan to spend in America?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)