|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Zayd Dohrn's parents occupations?
2. What appetizer is Cedric served when he eats dinner with his sister and mother on parents' weekend?
3. Who is the peer counselor Cedric goes to see when he and Rob blast each other with music?
4. How does Cedric get a special visit with his father in prison?
5. Who does Barbara tell Cedric to call collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why do Rob and Cedric change the music rules?
2. How will things change for Cedric second semester?
3. Describe Barbara's visit on parents' weekend.
4. How does affirmative action help and hinder minority students when they want to attend college?
5. Why do Zayd and Cedric become friends again?
6. Why does Cedric return to Ballou over Christmas break?
7. What do Zayd Dohrn's parents do in the 1960s?
8. How has Barbara been doing since Cedric left for college?
9. Why have Cedric and Zayd not spoken since the end of January?
10. Describe Helaine Schupack. Why is Cedric seeing her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare what it means to use "one's talents to bring 'glory onto God' and what it means to be prideful. Use some of the arguments that Cedric uses in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Affirmative action is a topic frequently discussed in the 1990s. Discuss affirmative action, how various individuals in the book feel about affirmative action, and whether affirmative action helps or hinders minority students like Cedric.
Essay Topic 3
After mid-terms at M.I.T., Cedric awakes suddenly, and it seems as though he hears his surrogate grandmother say, "Cedric, you haven't yet begun to fight." Explain how this phrase affects Cedric and what it means to him.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)