|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Barbara hands Cedric before she starts to drive back home?
2. What does Cedric find waiting at home after a long night at church?
3. Who is Cedric's academic advisor in college?
4. What advanced level class is Cedric taking at M.I.T.?
5. What do the other students do after Cedric's talk with Trilling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rob feel about having Cedric for a roommate?
2. Who is Cedric's father and how does he react when Cedric is conceived?
3. What are Barbara's early years like?
4. Why does Cedric arrive at school by 6:30 a.m. most mornings?
5. Why does Cedric decide to apply to Brown?
6. As mid-terms approach, how is Cedric doing at the M.I.T. summer program?
7. Why have things been so confusing for Cedric the fall of his senior year?
8. Who is Cedric's roommate? What is his background?
9. Why at Cedric's family going away party does he refer to "Cedric" as his professional name?
10. After eight months, why does Cedric Gilliam lose his work release job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Cedric chooses easy courses that are pass/fail for his first semester at Brown. What are his motivations for choosing this type of a course load?
Essay Topic 2
After mid-terms at M.I.T., Cedric awakes suddenly, and it seems as though he hears his surrogate grandmother say, "Cedric, you haven't yet begun to fight." Explain how this phrase affects Cedric and what it means to him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Phillip Atkins' life before and after his eighth grade year, and explain why he changes at that point in time.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)