|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cedric do for his eighteenth birthday?
2. What acronym is used to describe the high school students in the M.I.T. summer program?
3. What work release job does Cedric Gillian have?
4. Who takes Cedric's calculator in math class?
5. Why has Cedric not been eating in the cafeteria during orientation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is school like for students who excel academically at Ballou Senior High?
2. What is Barbara Jennings' financial situation?
3. Why does Cedric decide to apply to Brown?
4. Why at Cedric's family going away party does he refer to "Cedric" as his professional name?
5. Why are there few athletes at Ballou Senior High?
6. What are Barbara's early years like?
7. How do Cedric and Rob spend their first afternoon together?
8. Why does Cedric arrive at school by 6:30 a.m. most mornings?
9. Why is there an assembly at the beginning of the book?
10. Why is Cedric Gilliam on the run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, examples are given that show how honor students are treated at Ballou High School. Explain why most students are not interested in academic success at Ballou.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Barbara's role in Cedric's success. Provide examples of things she does that helped or hindered Cedric in his pursuit of success.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Larry Wakefield means when he tells Cedric, "If you're going to make it here, Cedric, you'll have to find some distance from yourself and all you've been through."
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)