|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a Caucasian student get into the M.I.T. summer program?
2. Why does Cedric give a speech at graduation?
3. What happens to students listed on the "Wall of Honor?"
4. How much does Cedric learn at Jefferson compared to Ballou?
5. What does Cedric do at church one day when singing in the choir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is school like for students who excel academically at Ballou Senior High?
2. What is Barbara Jennings' financial situation?
3. Who is Cedric's roommate? What is his background?
4. What are Barbara's early years like?
5. Why does Cedric arrive at school by 6:30 a.m. most mornings?
6. Why does Cedric feel like an inferior human being at the summer program?
7. Why does Phillip Atkins change from good student to class clown?
8. Why is Cedric Gilliam on the run?
9. Who is James Davis?
10. Who is Cedric's father and how does he react when Cedric is conceived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Affirmative action is a topic frequently discussed in the 1990s. Discuss affirmative action, how various individuals in the book feel about affirmative action, and whether affirmative action helps or hinders minority students like Cedric.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Cedric tells Mr. Taylor in Chapter 3 that he is at a crossroads in his life.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Mr. Taylor misquotes Hebrews 11:1. How does Mr. Taylor misquote this phrase? Explain what this phrase means to Cedric at that point in time. Explain what the phrase may have meant to Cedric while he is at M.I.T., during his senior year at Ballou, and while Cedric is attending college.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)