|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cedric searching for right before he leaves for college?
2. Which classmate of Cedric's is killed in a robbery at McDonalds?
3. What worries Barbara at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What does Cedric Gillian tell Barbara when she is pregnant?
5. What do the other students do after Cedric's talk with Trilling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it such a big deal that Cedric has handed in his vocabulary cards for the SAT-PREP class?
2. How do Cedric and Rob spend their first afternoon together?
3. After eight months, why does Cedric Gilliam lose his work release job?
4. What are Barbara's early years like?
5. Why does Cedric arrive at school by 6:30 a.m. most mornings?
6. What does Barbara do when Cedric turned two?
7. What are some things that have happened lately at the beginning of the book that indicate Ballou Senior High is a troubled and violent school?
8. Why at Cedric's family going away party does he refer to "Cedric" as his professional name?
9. Why does Cedric decide to apply to Brown?
10. How does Rob feel about having Cedric for a roommate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Cedric's graduation address, he refers to "Dreambusters." Discuss what these "Dreambusters" are and how they have affected Cedric's life in a positive or negative way.
Essay Topic 2
Affirmative action is a topic frequently discussed in the 1990s. Discuss affirmative action, how various individuals in the book feel about affirmative action, and whether affirmative action helps or hinders minority students like Cedric.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Cedric is depressed and easily irritated as he waits to hear if he has been accepted to a summer program at M.I.T. Discuss why Cedric is depressed and easily irritated.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)