|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two disappointments does Cedric experience during eighth grade?
(a) He is not allowed to sing solos and loses his place at Jefferson Junior High.
(b) He is robbed and attacked near his apartment.
(c) He loses his best friend and his father goes back to jail.
(d) He is attacked on the bus and his school books are stolen.
2. For what career is Phillip Atkins tagged by teachers?
(a) Rap singer.
(d) Mail room clerk.
3. Why has Cedric not been eating in the cafeteria during orientation?
(a) He lost his temporary ID.
(b) He does not have the money to eat there.
(c) He does not feel comfortable eating in the cafeteria.
(d) He spent all the money his mother gave him.
4. Who is Cedric's college roommate?
(a) Rob Burton.
(b) Stephen White.
(c) David Brown.
(d) Phillip Atkins.
5. What advanced level class is Cedric taking at M.I.T.?
(d) Design Workshop.
6. How much does Cedric learn at Jefferson compared to Ballou?
(a) He learned more in a year there than two or three at Ballou.
(b) He learned about half as much at Jefferson as at Ballou.
(c) He learns about the same at Jefferson as at Ballou.
(d) He took more advanced classes there.
7. When does Cedric first meet his father?
(a) When he was in high school.
(b) When he was seven.
(c) When he was in junior high.
(d) When he was two.
8. What is Cedric's birth date?
(a) December 24, 1977.
(b) July 24, 1979.
(c) April 24, 1977.
(d) July 24, 1977.
9. Who is the new principal Cedric's senior year?
(a) Dr. Kenneth Jones.
(b) Dr. Carlton James.
(c) Dr. James Kent.
(d) Dr. Charles Johnson.
10. Why does Cedric have to buy a bathing suit while at M.I.T.?
(a) The kids are going to the ocean.
(b) The kids are going to Cape Cod.
(c) So he can swim in the college pool.
(d) The kids are having a swimming competition.
11. Who is the principal at Ballou Senior High?
(a) Cedric Jennings.
(b) Richard Washington.
(c) Marion Barry.
(d) Andrew Taylor.
12. Who is the leader of these fifteen hundred men?
(a) Clarence Thomas.
(b) Jesse Jackson.
(c) Malcolm X.
(d) Louis Farrakhan.
13. What type of college does Cedric wish to attend?
(a) An all black college.
(b) Ivy League.
(c) A college in California.
(d) A college that caters to kids from the ghetto.
14. How many points does Cedric raise his SAT score when he takes it again?
(a) 1,000 points.
(b) 50 points.
(c) 200 points.
(d) None, his score was lower.
15. In the first chapter, what happens as Cedric waits at the bus stop?
(a) A boy is knifed.
(b) Cedric is pushed down and his books torn.
(c) A boy grabs another boy and puts a pistol to his head.
(d) A student is arrested for dealing drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade upsets Cedric his senior year?
2. What do the other students do after Cedric's talk with Trilling?
3. What does Cedric do for his eighteenth birthday?
4. Why does Cedric's mother not want him to wear a leather jacket?
5. What is Cedric searching for right before he leaves for college?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)