|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cedric's mother refuse to buy him a pair of extra-baggy khaki-colored pants?
(a) She thinks he should buy a pair of black pants.
(b) She does not have the money.
(c) They remind her of Cedric's father.
(d) She says that the pants symbolize bad things.
2. What is the amazing thing mentioned by the teacher in SAT-PREP class?
(a) All the students got high scores on the SAT.
(b) All the students turned in their homework.
(c) Cedric turned in his vocabulary cards and no one else did.
(d) Ten students turned in their homework.
3. What do the other students do after Cedric's talk with Trilling?
(a) Make fun of him.
(b) Tell him he might as well leave now.
(c) Help him pack.
(d) Tell him they care and encourage him to stay to the end.
4. What acronym is used to describe the high school students in the M.I.T. summer program?
(a) Mighty Mites.
(b) Mit Students.
(c) Mite Students.
(d) Mit Mites.
5. When does Cedric first meet his father?
(a) When he was two.
(b) When he was seven.
(c) When he was in high school.
(d) When he was in junior high.
6. How does Bishop Long end the church service on Cedric's last Sunday?
(a) With a special song sung by the choir.
(b) With communion.
(c) With a gospel song.
(d) With an offering.
7. Where does Trilling suggest Cedric apply to college?
(a) Harvard or Brown.
(b) M.I.T. or Harvard.
(c) Stanford or Florida State University.
(d) Howard University or University of Maryland.
8. What do Cedric and his mother sing as they drive into Providence?
(a) "Amazing Grace."
(b) "It is Well with my Soul."
(c) "Old Rugged Cross."
(d) "Shelter from the Storm."
9. Why are the freshmen on campus six days early?
(a) Their classes begin early.
(b) Orientation activities.
(c) So they can meet the other students.
(d) So they can sign up for classes before the upperclassmen.
10. Why does Cedric give a speech at graduation?
(a) He is valedictorian.
(b) He is salutatorian.
(c) He is class president.
(d) He is asked to give the welcome speech.
11. What type of college does Cedric wish to attend?
(a) Ivy League.
(b) A college in California.
(c) A college that caters to kids from the ghetto.
(d) An all black college.
12. Where does Cedric Gilliam want to take Cedric the summer after graduation?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To a ball game.
(c) Budweiser Concert Series.
(d) To dinner.
13. Why are fifteen hundred black men at Scripture Cathedral?
(a) Having a prayer meeting.
(b) They are attending a ministry class.
(c) They are part of the I Have a Dream Foundation.
(d) Organizing for the Million Man March.
14. What two disappointments does Cedric experience during eighth grade?
(a) He is attacked on the bus and his school books are stolen.
(b) He is robbed and attacked near his apartment.
(c) He loses his best friend and his father goes back to jail.
(d) He is not allowed to sing solos and loses his place at Jefferson Junior High.
15. What work release job does Cedric Gillian have?
(a) Working as an accountant in a bank.
(b) Washing dishes at a restaurant.
(c) Cutting hair at a barbershop.
(d) Working at a meat packing plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cedric's mother not want him to wear a leather jacket?
2. Who receives as many awards as Cedric does?
3. Why does Cedric have to buy a bathing suit while at M.I.T.?
4. Why does Cedric avoid Delante "Head" Coleman?
5. Who is the faculty director of the M.I.T. program?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)