Something To Push Against
• Cedric Jennings and Delante Coleman are students at Frank W. Ballou Senior High School, an all-black school in a bad section of Washington, D.C.
• Delante runs a gang, has a thriving drug business, and drives a Lexus.
• Cedric isolates himself from the gangs and has a 4.02 grade average.
• Students who succeed academically are ridiculed and are the target of violence.
• Mr. Taylor, the chemistry teacher, has mentored Cedric since his freshman year.
• Cedric's mother, Barbara Jennings, has given up the party life and devotes herself to a life of sacrifice and religion.
• The school has to issue a "Code Blue" and send security guards to get students out of the hallways.
• Cedric is afraid of dangers at school, violence, and drug dealing in the neighborhood; and he is afraid he will not be able to get out and get a better life.
Don't Let Them Hurt Our Children
This section contains 2,163 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)