|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Greek word refers to a form of ritual exhibitionism wherein the members of a drinking group would course through the streets in nocturnal revelry to emphasize the strength and unity of their group?
2. What is the boiling point of water?
3. The pictogram from a seal found at Tepe Gawra in Mesopotamia that shows two figures drinking beer through straws dates to approximately what age?
4. Who is the god of wine in Greek mythology?
5. The earliest written documents consist of what from the Ancient Sumerians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did distilled spirits play in the emergence of the Transatlantic Slave Trade?
2. What cultural role did beer play in Ancient Mesopotamia?
3. What role has beer served in poetry and literature?
4. What were the benefits of drinking beern in early times?
5. Why was King Ashurnasirpal II of Assyria feast significant?
6. What role did wine play in Ancient Greek culture?
7. How did wine lead to Marcus Antonius's death?
8. When was the practice of large-scale wine production introduced? What advancements were made?
9. What was the Molasses Act and how was it received by the American colonists?
10. Where was Ancient Cordoba located? How is it described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between the slave trade and distilled spirits. Why were spirits used as currency in the slave trade? How did the production of distilled spirits factor into the Transatlantic Slave Trade?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the origins of coffee. When and where was coffee first brewed in beverage form? What ingredients comprise coffee? What equipment is needed to make coffee?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the rise of the British Empire and discuss how tea came to represent British Imperialism. From where did the British obtain tea? How did its popularity in England spread? What does tea represent to the British today?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)