|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Amanda give as payment for a place to stay in Arghuri?
2. How much did the government of Cuba want to charge the passengers of the St. Louis to disembark?
3. Who found the raft that the survivors on the frigate constructed?
4. When was James Bartley swallowed by a whale?
5. How old was Amanda in 1821?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effects did James Bartley suffer from being swallowed by a whale?
2. Why do Charlie and the crew have to hike into the jungle?
3. In Section II of Chapter 5, how is catastrophe turned into art?
4. How did the Armenian priest defend himself when Amanda doubted that the amulet he offered to sell was from the ark?
5. Describe the expedition to Senegal.
6. Describe the Monastery of Saint James.
7. Where should the words "I love you," be kept and why?
8. Why was it decided after the seventh day that the sick should be killed?
9. What did Colonel Fergusson take Amanda to see in 1821?
10. What were the thoughts of the fifteen who remained on the raft when they saw a butterfly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship Katherine has with Greg and how it affects her mental state.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, several different images of heaven are portrayed in a dream. Compare and contrast the different views of heaven.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Survivor," someone is using fabulation. Using examples from the book, take a position and argue whether Katherine is using fabulation or the doctor is using fabulation.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)