|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the expedition set off for Senegal?
2. What time of day was it when Colonel Fergusson's listened to the incessant ticking of a beetle?
3. What is the name of the woman that Charlie and Pippa argued about?
4. What lifeboat did Lawrence escape in when he was on the Titanic?
5. In Chapter 5, what Cape had the expedition rounded when they saw the porpoises?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Charlie and the crew have to hike into the jungle?
2. How were the survivors on the raft finally rescued?
3. What plan was devised when the frigate struck a reef at high tide?
4. What is different about the way the couple sleeps in "Parenthesis"?
5. How did the Armenian priest defend himself when Amanda doubted that the amulet he offered to sell was from the ark?
6. How would science explain the halo of cloud that appears around Mount Ararat?
7. Describe the expedition to Senegal.
8. When a violent storm blew up while Jonah was traveling by ship, how did the mariners decide that Jonah was the cause of the storm?
9. Where should the words "I love you," be kept and why?
10. What effects did James Bartley suffer from being swallowed by a whale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Barnes makes reference to the woodworm. Discuss how the woodworm is portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Survivor" Katherine is caught between two realities. Using examples from the book, argue whether reality is the scenario where Katherine is traveling on a boat, finds an island, and Linda has kittens or that Katherine's reality is the world that she calls her "nightmares."
Essay Topic 3
In "The Mountain," Colonel Fergusson considers his relationship with his daughter. Discuss the relationship between Colonel Fergusson and Amanda.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)