|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Gericault to paint his painting?
2. Where is the narrator when he writes "Parenthesis"?
3. How fast were the ships traveling in Chapter 5 when they saw the porpoises?
4. When was James Bartley swallowed by a whale?
5. How many people lived in the town that Jonah went to preach to according to Barnes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the survivors on the raft finally rescued?
2. What plan was devised when the frigate struck a reef at high tide?
3. What did Amanda say about the practice of placing teeth in a crevice of the door of a church?
4. Where should the words "I love you," be kept and why?
5. Why was it decided after the seventh day that the sick should be killed?
6. What did Colonel Fergusson take Amanda to see in 1821?
7. What effects did James Bartley suffer from being swallowed by a whale?
8. What is different about the way the couple sleeps in "Parenthesis"?
9. What were the thoughts of the fifteen who remained on the raft when they saw a butterfly?
10. Describe the Monastery of Saint James.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Mountain," Colonel Fergusson considers his relationship with his daughter. Discuss the relationship between Colonel Fergusson and Amanda.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Survivor" Katherine is caught between two realities. Using examples from the book, argue whether reality is the scenario where Katherine is traveling on a boat, finds an island, and Linda has kittens or that Katherine's reality is the world that she calls her "nightmares."
Essay Topic 3
Barnes has a varied cast of characters in his books, some of which have very little information revealed about them. Discuss whether Barnes has more round or flat characters in the novel. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)