|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
2. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
3. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
4. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. How is augury defined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
2. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
3. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
4. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
5. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
6. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
7. What concerns did the Athenians have in the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
8. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
9. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
10. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the example presented by Xenophon of how a city is almost attacked by soldiers in order to raise funds. Provide an analysis of the events that lead the soldiers to make the decision, the system they use to confirm it, the interference of a politician, and the results.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)