|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
2. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
3. How many total chapters are included in the book?
4. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
5. What was the reason for the Spartans' animal sacrifice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The different classes and ranks of the military are a significant part of Xenophon's story. 1) Describe the difference between higher and lower ranks, along with how they are assigned.
2) Explain why and how wealth is considered when delegating the ranks of the ancient military.
3) Analyze the participation of women in the military of ancient Greece, including the reasons they would want or not want to join.
Essay Topic 3
War is a focus of Xenophon throughout the book and he explores all aspects of it.
1) Describe the vices and virtues of military leaders in ancient times, and the effects they have on the wars they wage.
2) Explain the mental training that is done in order to prepare soldiers for battle and develop a military team.
3) Analyze how war is considered a necessary component in the quest for peace for both ancient and current civilizations.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)