Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the raid take place, according to the second story of the fifth chapter of Book 2?
2. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
3. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
4. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. How is augury defined?
The author's motivations for writing the book, "A History of My Times", are revealed by the editor, establishing an important framework for the reader.
1) Explain what motivates Xenophon to write his story, based on the editor's notes and his own commentary.
2) Describe the main points that Xenophon is trying to make in the book and why.
3) Compare Xenophon's writing style with the style of contemporary non-fiction writers.
In the introduction of "A History of My Times", it is made clear that the book is intended for academic audiences.
1) Describe the formatting of the book discussing how the publisher designed it to be more accessible for scholars.
2) Explain the difference between a memoir and history, and explore why the editor makes the distinction for the book.
3) Analyze the advice given by the editor to prepare the reader for the story and the way it is presented.
Describe Cyrus's war against his brother, the difficulties he faces in the campaign, and how he is assisted by Samius, the Spartan, Include the possible reasons why Xenophon would have wanted to present this story, what it shows for the city of Sparta, and how the story coincides with Xenophon's own view of the Spartans.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)