|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the adviser's opinion, what social class should the woman be?
2. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
3. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
4. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
5. How was Procles' speech received?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
2. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
4. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
5. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
6. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
7. What is augury?
8. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
9. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
10. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 2
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
Essay Topic 3
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)