|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Athens use its main strength?
2. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
3. How many total chapters are included in the book?
4. How often did Polydamas test his men?
5. How important was knowing a person's ally leaders in the stories told by Xenophon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the setting of the massacre that Xenophon recounts?
2. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
3. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
5. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
6. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
7. What is an oracle?
8. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
9. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
10. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
Essay Topic 2
War is a focus of Xenophon throughout the book and he explores all aspects of it.
1) Describe the vices and virtues of military leaders in ancient times, and the effects they have on the wars they wage.
2) Explain the mental training that is done in order to prepare soldiers for battle and develop a military team.
3) Analyze how war is considered a necessary component in the quest for peace for both ancient and current civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conversation about marriage that Xenophon documents in his story. Use the advice given in the discussion to explain how marriage is viewed in ancient Greece, which things are considered to be the most important in selecting a spouse, and whether or not their priorities are an indication of their culture or society.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)