Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. How long after an agreement was reached, did the Spartans and the Athenians attack the Thebans?
3. How is augury defined?
4. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
5. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the example given by Xenophon of leadership and ranking that centers around the dismissal of several mid-range officers. Provide a description of what influences the decision to exile the mid-range officers, the reaction of the low-ranking officers, how their suggestion is handled, and the reasons why the story represents one of the main themes of the book.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)