|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
2. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
4. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
5. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
2. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
3. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
4. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
5. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
6. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
7. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
8. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
9. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
10. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 2
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 3
The different classes and ranks of the military are a significant part of Xenophon's story. 1) Describe the difference between higher and lower ranks, along with how they are assigned.
2) Explain why and how wealth is considered when delegating the ranks of the ancient military.
3) Analyze the participation of women in the military of ancient Greece, including the reasons they would want or not want to join.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)