|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
3. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
4. What type of a massacre was committed?
5. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
2. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
3. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
4. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
5. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
6. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
7. What concerns did the Athenians have in the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
8. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
9. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
10. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the sad story of Mania, including how she becomes the satrap, her leadership style, the promises she makes to her allies, and the way she interacts with her mercenaries. Also, explain how effective she is as a leader, why her betrayal is planned, and how it is executed.
Essay Topic 2
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 3
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)