|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after an agreement was reached, did the Spartans and the Athenians attack the Thebans?
2. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
3. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
4. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
5. What name was given to the treaty for peace between the Greek cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
2. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
3. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
4. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
5. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
6. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
7. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
8. What is augury?
9. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
10. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the example given by Xenophon of leadership and ranking that centers around the dismissal of several mid-range officers. Provide a description of what influences the decision to exile the mid-range officers, the reaction of the low-ranking officers, how their suggestion is handled, and the reasons why the story represents one of the main themes of the book.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events surrounding the surprise massacre of a town during a religious festival. Include the reasons for the attack, how religion is valued in ancient Greece, why this story might contradict that value, and what message Xenophon could be attempting to deliver.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)