|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. How long after an agreement was reached, did the Spartans and the Athenians attack the Thebans?
3. How is augury defined?
4. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
5. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Cyrus's war against his brother, the difficulties he faces in the campaign, and how he is assisted by Samius, the Spartan, Include the possible reasons why Xenophon would have wanted to present this story, what it shows for the city of Sparta, and how the story coincides with Xenophon's own view of the Spartans.
Essay Topic 2
War is a focus of Xenophon throughout the book and he explores all aspects of it.
1) Describe the vices and virtues of military leaders in ancient times, and the effects they have on the wars they wage.
2) Explain the mental training that is done in order to prepare soldiers for battle and develop a military team.
3) Analyze how war is considered a necessary component in the quest for peace for both ancient and current civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the example presented by Xenophon of how a city is almost attacked by soldiers in order to raise funds. Provide an analysis of the events that lead the soldiers to make the decision, the system they use to confirm it, the interference of a politician, and the results.
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)