|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
2. Where did the Spartans place a trophy?
3. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
5. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
2. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
3. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
4. How was Alexander murdered?
5. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
6. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
7. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
8. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
9. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
10. What is augury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the sad story of Mania, including how she becomes the satrap, her leadership style, the promises she makes to her allies, and the way she interacts with her mercenaries. Also, explain how effective she is as a leader, why her betrayal is planned, and how it is executed.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)