|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
2. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
4. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
5. How was Procles' speech received?
Short Essay Questions
1. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
2. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
3. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
4. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
5. How was Alexander murdered?
6. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
7. What is an oracle?
8. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
9. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
10. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Xenophon's early background, including his birth, social class, and the challenges of his military experience. Also, provide examples from the book of his leadership style and reputation, his intentions as an Athenian officer, the criticism he encounters during his service, and the validity of that criticism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)