|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Introductions, how opinionated was Xenophon?
2. How did the politician first approach the reeds dilemma in the story?
3. Where did the politician give a speech in the story about the reeds?
4. Where did Cyrus battle his brother?
5. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
2. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
3. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
4. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
5. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
6. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
7. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
8. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
9. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
10. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the sad story of Mania, including how she becomes the satrap, her leadership style, the promises she makes to her allies, and the way she interacts with her mercenaries. Also, explain how effective she is as a leader, why her betrayal is planned, and how it is executed.
Essay Topic 2
Continuing with his fascination of the virtues of military leaders, Xenophon presents the story of Polydamas.
1) Describe Polydamas's leadership style, including how he tests his men, and the actions taken as a result of those tests.
2) Explain how Polydamas's men are rewarded for their skills, and the value of honor and loyalty in the military.
3) Analyze the opinions of Jason, pertaining to the King of Persia, and how they compare to Xenophon's opinion of Persia in general.
Essay Topic 3
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)