|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. According to the editor, who will be delighted by the bibliography in the book?
3. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
4. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
5. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
2. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
3. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
4. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
5. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
6. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
7. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
8. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
9. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
10. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the introduction of "A History of My Times", it is made clear that the book is intended for academic audiences.
1) Describe the formatting of the book discussing how the publisher designed it to be more accessible for scholars.
2) Explain the difference between a memoir and history, and explore why the editor makes the distinction for the book.
3) Analyze the advice given by the editor to prepare the reader for the story and the way it is presented.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)