|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following works is referenced in the first chapter?
2. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
3. According to the Introductions, how opinionated was Xenophon?
4. What was the incentive for women to serve in the ancient Greek military?
5. Which biographer included Xenophon in his works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
2. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
3. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
4. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
5. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
6. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
7. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
8. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
9. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
10. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Cyrus's war against his brother, the difficulties he faces in the campaign, and how he is assisted by Samius, the Spartan, Include the possible reasons why Xenophon would have wanted to present this story, what it shows for the city of Sparta, and how the story coincides with Xenophon's own view of the Spartans.
Essay Topic 2
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)