|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following works is referenced in the first chapter?
2. What is a satrap?
3. What did the sailors do when they were not at war?
4. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
5. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
2. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
3. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
4. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
5. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
6. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
7. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
8. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
9. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
10. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Cyrus's war against his brother, the difficulties he faces in the campaign, and how he is assisted by Samius, the Spartan, Include the possible reasons why Xenophon would have wanted to present this story, what it shows for the city of Sparta, and how the story coincides with Xenophon's own view of the Spartans.
Essay Topic 3
In the introduction of "A History of My Times", it is made clear that the book is intended for academic audiences.
1) Describe the formatting of the book discussing how the publisher designed it to be more accessible for scholars.
2) Explain the difference between a memoir and history, and explore why the editor makes the distinction for the book.
3) Analyze the advice given by the editor to prepare the reader for the story and the way it is presented.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)