|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. How often does Xenophon describe the way money is raised?
3. How were the ships made available to Cyrus by a Spartan?
4. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
5. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
2. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
3. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
4. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
5. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
8. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
9. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
10. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the example presented by Xenophon of how a city is almost attacked by soldiers in order to raise funds. Provide an analysis of the events that lead the soldiers to make the decision, the system they use to confirm it, the interference of a politician, and the results.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)