|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
2. What years do the events of the book take place?
3. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
4. What is significant about Alcibiades?
5. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
2. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
3. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
4. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
5. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
6. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
7. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
8. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
9. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
10. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why Xenophon chooses to depict Alcibiades and the battles that involve him in the story. Use the references made in the book to analyze how Xenophon's story adds information to previous events, and the reputation of Alcibiades' mentor, Socrates. Include whether or not you think Xenophon is objective in his description of Alcibiades, considering his admiration for Socrates.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major methods for making decisions in ancient Greece. First, explain how augury is defined and the way it is used to help the ancient Greeks with their decisions. Second, describe the oracles, where and how they take place, the possible confusion in their interpretation, and why they are considered a highly credible source of wisdom.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)