|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
2. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
3. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
4. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
5. How were Cyrus's military actions against his brother perceived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
2. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
3. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
4. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
5. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
6. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
7. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
8. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
9. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
10. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a focus of Xenophon throughout the book and he explores all aspects of it.
1) Describe the vices and virtues of military leaders in ancient times, and the effects they have on the wars they wage.
2) Explain the mental training that is done in order to prepare soldiers for battle and develop a military team.
3) Analyze how war is considered a necessary component in the quest for peace for both ancient and current civilizations.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the example given by Xenophon of leadership and ranking that centers around the dismissal of several mid-range officers. Provide a description of what influences the decision to exile the mid-range officers, the reaction of the low-ranking officers, how their suggestion is handled, and the reasons why the story represents one of the main themes of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major methods for making decisions in ancient Greece. First, explain how augury is defined and the way it is used to help the ancient Greeks with their decisions. Second, describe the oracles, where and how they take place, the possible confusion in their interpretation, and why they are considered a highly credible source of wisdom.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)