Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 2
War is a focus of Xenophon throughout the book and he explores all aspects of it.
1) Describe the vices and virtues of military leaders in ancient times, and the effects they have on the wars they wage.
2) Explain the mental training that is done in order to prepare soldiers for battle and develop a military team.
3) Analyze how war is considered a necessary component in the quest for peace for both ancient and current civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two major methods for making decisions in ancient Greece. First, explain how augury is defined and the way it is used to help the ancient Greeks with their decisions. Second, describe the oracles, where and how they take place, the possible confusion in their interpretation, and why they are considered a highly credible source of wisdom.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)