|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
2. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
3. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
4. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
5. How did Mania become the satrap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
2. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
3. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
4. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
5. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
6. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
7. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
8. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
9. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
10. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conversation about marriage that Xenophon documents in his story. Use the advice given in the discussion to explain how marriage is viewed in ancient Greece, which things are considered to be the most important in selecting a spouse, and whether or not their priorities are an indication of their culture or society.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the example presented by Xenophon of how a city is almost attacked by soldiers in order to raise funds. Provide an analysis of the events that lead the soldiers to make the decision, the system they use to confirm it, the interference of a politician, and the results.
Essay Topic 3
The author's motivations for writing the book, "A History of My Times", are revealed by the editor, establishing an important framework for the reader.
1) Explain what motivates Xenophon to write his story, based on the editor's notes and his own commentary.
2) Describe the main points that Xenophon is trying to make in the book and why.
3) Compare Xenophon's writing style with the style of contemporary non-fiction writers.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)