|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the politician give a speech in the story about the reeds?
2. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
3. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
4. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
5. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
2. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
3. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
4. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
5. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
6. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
7. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
8. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
9. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
10. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Xenophon's early background, including his birth, social class, and the challenges of his military experience. Also, provide examples from the book of his leadership style and reputation, his intentions as an Athenian officer, the criticism he encounters during his service, and the validity of that criticism.
Essay Topic 3
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)