|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
2. What years do the events of the book take place?
3. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
4. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
5. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
2. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
3. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
4. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
5. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
6. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
7. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
8. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
9. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
10. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 2
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why Xenophon chooses to depict Alcibiades and the battles that involve him in the story. Use the references made in the book to analyze how Xenophon's story adds information to previous events, and the reputation of Alcibiades' mentor, Socrates. Include whether or not you think Xenophon is objective in his description of Alcibiades, considering his admiration for Socrates.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)