|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
2. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
3. How often does Xenophon describe the way money is raised?
4. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
5. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
2. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
3. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
4. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
5. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
6. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
7. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
8. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
9. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
10. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Xenophon's early background, including his birth, social class, and the challenges of his military experience. Also, provide examples from the book of his leadership style and reputation, his intentions as an Athenian officer, the criticism he encounters during his service, and the validity of that criticism.
Essay Topic 3
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)