|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Essay Topic 1
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two major methods for making decisions in ancient Greece. First, explain how augury is defined and the way it is used to help the ancient Greeks with their decisions. Second, describe the oracles, where and how they take place, the possible confusion in their interpretation, and why they are considered a highly credible source of wisdom.
Essay Topic 3
The different classes and ranks of the military are a significant part of Xenophon's story. 1) Describe the difference between higher and lower ranks, along with how they are assigned.
2) Explain why and how wealth is considered when delegating the ranks of the ancient military.
3) Analyze the participation of women in the military of ancient Greece, including the reasons they would want or not want to join.
This section contains 2,063 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)