|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
2. What part of the military commanders motivated Xenophon to write the book?
3. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
4. How did Xenophon begin his story?
5. What would cause the soldiers to abandon their original plot for raising money in the story told in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
2. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
3. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
4. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
5. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
6. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
7. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
8. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
9. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the example presented by Xenophon of how a city is almost attacked by soldiers in order to raise funds. Provide an analysis of the events that lead the soldiers to make the decision, the system they use to confirm it, the interference of a politician, and the results.
Essay Topic 3
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)