|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Alcibiades?
2. What is a satrap?
3. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
4. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
5. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
2. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
3. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
4. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
5. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
6. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
7. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
8. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
9. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
10. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athens and Sparta have a storied history throughout Xenophon's life, which provides the backdrop and conclusion for his story.
1) Chronicle the changing positions of Athens and Sparta during Xenophon's life and times.
2) Describe the alliance formed between Athens and Sparta, the agreement reached, and the battles that are fought as a result of their combined efforts.
3) Analyze the trials and tribulations that the city of Arcadia experiences, including how they become self-reliant, the troubles that threaten to tear the city apart, and why Xenophon might have decided to end his story with them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 3
In the introduction of "A History of My Times", it is made clear that the book is intended for academic audiences.
1) Describe the formatting of the book discussing how the publisher designed it to be more accessible for scholars.
2) Explain the difference between a memoir and history, and explore why the editor makes the distinction for the book.
3) Analyze the advice given by the editor to prepare the reader for the story and the way it is presented.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)