|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the editor, who will be delighted by the bibliography in the book?
2. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
3. What is each one of the chapters in the second book devoted to?
4. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
5. Which season was hard for the sailors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
2. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
3. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
4. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
5. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
6. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
7. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
8. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
9. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
10. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the introduction of "A History of My Times", it is made clear that the book is intended for academic audiences.
1) Describe the formatting of the book discussing how the publisher designed it to be more accessible for scholars.
2) Explain the difference between a memoir and history, and explore why the editor makes the distinction for the book.
3) Analyze the advice given by the editor to prepare the reader for the story and the way it is presented.
Essay Topic 2
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the example given by Xenophon of leadership and ranking that centers around the dismissal of several mid-range officers. Provide a description of what influences the decision to exile the mid-range officers, the reaction of the low-ranking officers, how their suggestion is handled, and the reasons why the story represents one of the main themes of the book.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)