Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the events surrounding the surprise massacre of a town during a religious festival. Include the reasons for the attack, how religion is valued in ancient Greece, why this story might contradict that value, and what message Xenophon could be attempting to deliver.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 3
Xenophon includes the various rituals performed by ancient Greek soldiers before and after a battle.
1) Describe the ritual of an animal sacrifice before a battle, how it is performed, and the reasons for it.
2) Explain how trophies are made and what is used to make them.
3) Describe the conditions for making trophies using one example of this from the book.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)