Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conversation about marriage that Xenophon documents in his story. Use the advice given in the discussion to explain how marriage is viewed in ancient Greece, which things are considered to be the most important in selecting a spouse, and whether or not their priorities are an indication of their culture or society.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the sad story of Mania, including how she becomes the satrap, her leadership style, the promises she makes to her allies, and the way she interacts with her mercenaries. Also, explain how effective she is as a leader, why her betrayal is planned, and how it is executed.
This section contains 2,063 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)