Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the sad story of Mania, including how she becomes the satrap, her leadership style, the promises she makes to her allies, and the way she interacts with her mercenaries. Also, explain how effective she is as a leader, why her betrayal is planned, and how it is executed.
Essay Topic 2
Continuing with his fascination of the virtues of military leaders, Xenophon presents the story of Polydamas.
1) Describe Polydamas's leadership style, including how he tests his men, and the actions taken as a result of those tests.
2) Explain how Polydamas's men are rewarded for their skills, and the value of honor and loyalty in the military.
3) Analyze the opinions of Jason, pertaining to the King of Persia, and how they compare to Xenophon's opinion of Persia in general.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the example given by Xenophon of leadership and ranking that centers around the dismissal of several mid-range officers. Provide a description of what influences the decision to exile the mid-range officers, the reaction of the low-ranking officers, how their suggestion is handled, and the reasons why the story represents one of the main themes of the book.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)