|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mania become the satrap?
2. What city did Xenophon represent in the military?
3. What type of ruler is Mania described as?
4. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
5. How many politically sanctioned killings were there in the story told in Book 2, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
2. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
3. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
4. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
5. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
6. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
7. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
8. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
9. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
10. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two events are chronicled by Xenophon to show the effects that the decisions made by leaders can have.
1) Describe the raid on Attica by Teleutias, why it takes place, the response it receives, and how it relates to Xenophon's main theme of leaders and their decisions.
2) Analyze the events that take place before, during, and after Antalcidas delivers the treaty for peace.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events surrounding the surprise massacre of a town during a religious festival. Include the reasons for the attack, how religion is valued in ancient Greece, why this story might contradict that value, and what message Xenophon could be attempting to deliver.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)