|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
2. How many men was Xenophon in charge of during his service in the military?
3. What is significant about Alcibiades?
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
5. What did being born into Knight class mean for Xenophon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
2. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
3. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
4. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
5. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
6. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
7. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
8. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
9. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
10. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of Thibron and Cinadon, and how the issues of loyalty and leadership are displayed in them. In Thibron's situation, explain his exile from Sparta, why it is unsuspected by him, and the reasons behind it. For Cinadon's story, describe the events that lead to his arrest, why he does not expect it, and the points that Xenophon is trying to make about trust.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of funding is an important one for military operations to continue.
1) Explain the use of funds during a war including why it is vital for a military to raise the money.
2) Describe the different options the ancient military had in raising funds for a war or campaign.
3) Analyze the situation of the sailors in Chios and the hardships they encounter there.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)