|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
2. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
3. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
4. What did being born into Knight class mean for Xenophon?
5. Which other historian's works did Xenophon have published?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
2. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
3. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
4. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
5. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
6. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
7. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
8. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
9. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
10. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Xenophon's early background, including his birth, social class, and the challenges of his military experience. Also, provide examples from the book of his leadership style and reputation, his intentions as an Athenian officer, the criticism he encounters during his service, and the validity of that criticism.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the planning and assassination of Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly. Include how Alexander is viewed as a ruler, his reputation, and that of the town, the possible motivations for the murder, and the way it takes place.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events surrounding the surprise massacre of a town during a religious festival. Include the reasons for the attack, how religion is valued in ancient Greece, why this story might contradict that value, and what message Xenophon could be attempting to deliver.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)