|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
2. What did Procles acknowledge in his speech?
(a) Athens was unable to defeat Sparta.
(b) Sparta has never feared Athens.
(c) Athens has never feared Sparta.
(d) Sparta was unable to defeat Athens.
3. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
4. According to Xenophon's story, what is the best method for obtaining perspective?
5. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
2. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
3. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
4. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. What type of a massacre was committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
2. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
3. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
5. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
6. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
7. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
8. What is augury?
9. What is an oracle?
10. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)