|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As noted by the editor, which city's re-establishment is not mentioned by the author?
2. What was the strength of Athens as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Sparta?
(a) Creating laws.
(b) Political action.
(c) The battles at sea.
(d) The battles on land.
3. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
(a) In the military and upon burial.
(b) Neither in the military nor upon burial.
(c) Only in the military.
(d) Only upon burial.
4. How did Athens use its main strength?
(a) Against all enemies.
(b) Only against certain enemies.
(c) By necessity.
(d) By instinct.
5. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Spartans make their animal sacrifice?
2. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
3. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
4. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
5. Which one of the following was included in Polydams's speech about what he valued in a soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
2. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
3. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
5. How was Alexander murdered?
6. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
7. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
8. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
9. What is an oracle?
10. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)