|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, how much of the text is dedicated to the military alliances and balancing of power within them?
(a) Only a small portion of the text.
(b) Half of the text.
(c) Most of the text.
(d) None of the text.
3. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
(a) An election.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A battle.
(d) A religious festival.
4. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
(a) Jonathan J. Price.
(b) David Cartwright.
(c) Francis MacDonald Cornford.
(d) Rex Warner.
5. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subdivision of Greece was raided as a result of a leader's invitation?
2. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
3. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
4. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
5. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
2. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
3. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
4. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
5. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
6. What is an oracle?
7. What is augury?
8. What was the setting of the massacre that Xenophon recounts?
9. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
10. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)