|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city was giving Phocis the most trouble?
2. Which years did the events in Book 2, Chapter 5 take place?
(a) 384-380 B.C.
(b) 386-382 B.C.
(c) 389-386 B.C.
(d) 387-385 B.C.
3. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
(a) Jonathan J. Price.
(b) Rex Warner.
(c) David Cartwright.
(d) Francis MacDonald Cornford.
4. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
5. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(b) Counter measures were prepared.
(c) Two cities surrendered.
(d) A civil war began.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to one man's advice, what should another man first consider when choosing a wife?
2. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
3. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
4. Which one of the following was included in Polydams's speech about what he valued in a soldier?
5. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. How was Alexander murdered?
4. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
5. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
6. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
7. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
8. What is augury?
9. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
10. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)