|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Xenophon's story, what is the best method for obtaining perspective?
2. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Who was Dercylidas?
(a) A Spartan commander.
(b) A Macedonian commander.
(c) A Persian commander.
(d) A Theban commander.
4. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
5. How wealthy was the King of Persia thought to be?
(a) The richest man in the city.
(b) The richest man in the region.
(c) The second richest man in the city.
(d) The second richest man in the region.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subdivision of Greece was raided as a result of a leader's invitation?
2. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
3. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
4. What name was given to the treaty for peace between the Greek cities?
5. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
2. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
3. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
4. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
5. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
6. What is an oracle?
7. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
8. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
9. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
10. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)