|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
2. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The dangers of war.
(b) The importance of war.
(c) The disadvantages of war.
(d) The advantages of war.
3. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
(a) There are many pages dedicated to it.
(b) It is only mentioned as a definition for another term.
(c) There is some mention of it.
(d) There is no mention of it.
4. Which city was giving Phocis the most trouble?
5. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) The battles at sea.
(b) Creating laws.
(c) The battles on land.
(d) Political action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
2. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
3. As noted by the editor, which city's re-establishment is not mentioned by the author?
4. How did Athens use its main strength?
5. What name was given to the treaty for peace between the Greek cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
2. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
3. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
4. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
7. What is an oracle?
8. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
9. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
10. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)