|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name was given to the treaty for peace between the Greek cities?
(a) The King's Peaceful Treaty.
(b) The Peace of the King.
(c) The King's Treaty for Peace.
(d) The King's Peace.
2. How was Procles' speech received?
(a) It impressed some, but drew objections from others.
(b) It drew objections from everyone.
(c) It impressed everyone.
(d) It received no response.
3. Who was Dercylidas?
(a) A Macedonian commander.
(b) A Persian commander.
(c) A Spartan commander.
(d) A Theban commander.
4. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
(a) Have more laws.
(b) Have fewer laws.
(c) Have mercy.
(d) Have pride.
5. What animal did the Spartans sacrifice in the example Xenophon gives?
(a) A turkey.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cow.
(d) A chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
2. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
3. What did Procles acknowledge in his speech?
4. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
5. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
2. What is augury?
3. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
4. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
5. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
6. What is an oracle?
7. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
8. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
9. What was the setting of the massacre that Xenophon recounts?
10. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)