|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the strength of Athens as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Sparta?
(a) The battles at sea.
(b) Political action.
(c) The battles on land.
(d) Creating laws.
2. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Making their unit famous.
(b) Making a name for themselves.
(c) Making their city famous.
(d) Making their enemies famous.
4. What aspect of the Spartan culture was the subject of ridicule?
(a) Their politics.
(b) Their male culture.
(c) Their female culture.
(d) Their military.
5. How wealthy was the King of Persia thought to be?
(a) The second richest man in the city.
(b) The richest man in the region.
(c) The richest man in the city.
(d) The second richest man in the region.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
2. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
3. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
4. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
5. How is augury defined?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the information obtained from an oracle seem confusing?
2. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
3. Who was Dercylidas and how is he described?
4. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
5. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
6. What is an oracle?
7. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
8. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
9. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
10. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)