|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
2. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
(a) He eliminated them.
(b) He trained them again.
(c) He put them in the front lines.
(d) He put them in the back lines.
3. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
(b) Rainfall and strong winds.
(c) Thunder, lightning, and rainfall.
(d) Thunder and lightning.
4. According to Jason, what condition were the Persians taught?
5. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the massacre?
2. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
4. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
5. What did the people of Phocis claim they would do if Sparta did not help them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is augury?
2. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
3. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
4. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
5. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
6. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
7. What was the setting of the massacre that Xenophon recounts?
8. What was the result of the sacrifice made by the Spartans?
9. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
10. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)