|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Spartans place a trophy?
(a) At the site of their first victory.
(b) On the grave of a fallen soldier.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) At the side of their first defeat.
2. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The dangers of war.
(b) The disadvantages of war.
(c) The importance of war.
(d) The advantages of war.
3. Where do the majority of events in Chapter 6 take place?
4. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
(b) It is unknown.
(c) They had some success and some failure.
5. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right entity and time.
(b) The right entity and location.
(c) The right entity, time, and location.
(d) The right time and location.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subdivision of Greece was raided as a result of a leader's invitation?
2. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
3. How was the massacre planned?
4. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
5. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason for the surprise massacre that Xenophon includes in his story?
2. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
3. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
4. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
5. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
6. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
7. What concerns did the Athenians have in the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
8. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
9. What did Athens and Sparta do once they were united, and how is Archidamus's speech described?
10. How was Alexander murdered?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)