|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
(a) The major events discussed in the previous chapter.
(b) The major events discussed in the previous and next chapters.
(c) The major events discussed in the next chapter.
(d) The major events discussed in that chapter.
2. When did the Spartans make their animal sacrifice?
(a) After a battle.
(b) Before a bad storm.
(c) After the death of someone.
(d) Before engaging the enemy.
3. Which subdivision of Greece was raided as a result of a leader's invitation?
4. How was the massacre planned?
(a) Only military leaders knew.
(b) It was an impulsive decision.
(c) Arrangements were made in advance.
(d) Only political leaders knew.
5. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) The battles on land.
(b) Political action.
(c) Creating laws.
(d) The battles at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Xenophon's story, what is the best method for obtaining perspective?
2. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
3. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
4. Who conducted the raid in the second story of Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the setting of the massacre that Xenophon recounts?
2. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
3. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
4. What things does the adviser in Xenophon's story think that a woman should be in order for his friend to marry her?
5. What is an oracle?
6. What was considered to be "the Spartan way" and how was Teleutias's raid received?
7. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
8. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
9. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
10. What led Athens and Sparta to contemplate an alliance?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)