|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(c) Rainfall and strong winds.
(d) Thunder, lightning, and rainfall.
2. How was Procles' speech received?
(a) It impressed everyone.
(b) It received no response.
(c) It impressed some, but drew objections from others.
(d) It drew objections from everyone.
3. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right entity, time, and location.
(b) The right time and location.
(c) The right entity and time.
(d) The right entity and location.
4. What type of a massacre was committed?
(a) A drawn out attack.
(b) An expected attack.
(c) A quick attack.
(d) A surprise attack.
5. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
(a) A battle.
(b) A murder.
(c) A truce.
(d) A declaration of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the raid take place, according to the second story of the fifth chapter of Book 2?
2. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
3. Who conducted the raid in the second story of Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
5. According to Jason, what condition were the Persians taught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
2. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
3. How was it possible for a leader to put his own self-interest above the team, and was it considered a positive or a negative action?
4. What concerns did the Athenians have in the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
5. What message is Xenophon delivering with the story of Attica?
6. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
7. What are the styles of the chapters in "A History of My Times", and what stories are told in Book 2, Chapter 5?
8. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
9. How was Alexander murdered?
10. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)