|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many politically sanctioned killings were there in the story told in Book 2, Chapter 2?
(b) At least one.
(c) More than ten.
(d) More than fifteen.
2. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
3. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
(a) A military leader.
(b) A politician.
(c) An enemy informant.
(d) An assistant.
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were undisciplined.
(b) They were over-disciplined.
(c) They were too aggressive.
(d) They were not aggressive enough.
5. What would cause the soldiers to abandon their original plot for raising money in the story told in the book?
(a) An improvement of their situation.
(b) A letter from Xenophon.
(c) A letter from Alcibiades.
(d) A decline in their situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What years do the events of the book take place?
2. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
3. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
4. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
5. What were trophies often made out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
2. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
3. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
4. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
5. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
6. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
7. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
8. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
9. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
10. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)