|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
(a) To observe certain victories.
(b) To provide an incentive for armies.
(c) Neither to observe certain victories nor to provide an incentive for armies.
(d) To observe certain victories and provide an incentive for armies.
2. What were trophies often made out of?
(a) The enemy's spears.
(d) The enemy's shields.
3. How did Mania become the satrap?
(a) She had already ruled another city.
(b) She was tricked into it by a political party.
(c) She was voted in.
(d) Her husband died.
4. When was Thibron exiled?
(a) Two days before he returned to Sparta.
(b) The day before he returned to Sparta.
(c) One week before he returned to Sparta.
(d) When he returned to Sparta.
5. Which season was hard for the sailors?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
2. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
3. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
4. How is the bottom of the ranks characterized in the book?
5. Where did Cyrus battle his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
2. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
3. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
4. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
5. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
6. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
7. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
8. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
9. What are the intentions of the author and the publisher in presenting "A History of My Times"?
10. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)