|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
2. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Once every other battle.
(b) After every battle.
(c) Only when time allowed.
(d) After most battles.
3. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
(a) The Rise of the Roman Empire.
(b) The Fall of the Roman Republic.
(c) Socrates' death.
(d) The Trojan War.
4. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To remain loyal to them.
(b) To make all new laws.
(c) To bring them together.
(d) To listen to them.
5. What part of the military commanders motivated Xenophon to write the book?
(a) Their vices.
(b) Neither their virtues nor their vices.
(c) Their virtues and vices.
(d) Their virtues.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men was Xenophon in charge of during his service in the military?
2. What is each one of the chapters in the second book devoted to?
3. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
4. How did the politician first approach the reeds dilemma in the story?
5. Which other historian's works did Xenophon have published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
2. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
3. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
4. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
5. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
6. What is the significance of Xenophon's early background?
7. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
8. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
9. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)