|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
(a) He was the best leader in the military.
(b) He was not the best leader, and was unable to lead effectively.
(c) He was the worst leader in the military.
(d) He was not the best leader, but was able to lead effectively.
2. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
(a) Stories and solutions.
(b) Amounts and solutions.
(c) Stories and amounts.
(d) Stories, amounts, and solutions.
3. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
(a) To get money and supplies.
(b) To get supplies.
(c) To get money.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
4. How did Mania become the satrap?
(a) Her husband died.
(b) She was voted in.
(c) She was tricked into it by a political party.
(d) She had already ruled another city.
5. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
(a) One week's wages.
(b) One month's wages.
(c) Two month's wages.
(d) Two week's wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is each one of the chapters in the second book devoted to?
2. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
3. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
4. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
5. What is the major issue of the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
2. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
3. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
4. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
5. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
6. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
7. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
8. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
9. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
10. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)