|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
(a) The cavalry.
(b) The infantry and the cavalry.
(c) Neither the infantry nor the cavalry.
(d) The infantry.
2. What type of allies did Mania have?
(a) Both military and political allies.
(b) Neither military nor political allies.
(c) Only political allies.
(d) Only military allies.
3. How did Xenophon begin his story?
(a) Similar to the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(b) Slightly different from the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(c) Similar to the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(d) Slightly different from the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
4. What was the incentive for women to serve in the ancient Greek military?
(a) They were granted the rights of citizenship.
(b) They were given the power to make laws.
(c) They were paid before and after the battles they participate in.
(d) They were eligible to rule a city after participating in battle.
5. Which publishing company is used to present the summary for "A History of My Times"?
(a) John Hopkins University.
(b) Penguin Classics.
(c) Oxford World Classics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fewest amount of ships involved in the water and shoreline battles of Chapter 1?
2. What is a satrap?
3. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
4. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
5. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
2. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
3. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
4. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
5. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
6. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
7. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
8. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
9. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
10. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)