|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
(a) It is brief.
(b) It is an average length.
(c) It is long, but features several smaller segments.
(d) It is long.
2. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
(a) To get supplies.
(b) To get money and supplies.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) To get money.
3. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military battles.
(b) Military uniforms.
(c) Military procedures.
(d) Military language.
4. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
(b) Only one.
(d) A few.
5. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
(b) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(c) As straight history instead of a memoir.
(d) As both a memoir and straight history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the description of the ancient forms of military ranking in the book?
2. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
3. When were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. What years do the events of the book take place?
5. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
2. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
3. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
4. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
5. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
6. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
7. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
8. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
9. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
10. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)