|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
(b) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(c) As both a memoir and straight history.
(d) As straight history instead of a memoir.
2. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
3. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military uniforms.
(b) Military language.
(c) Military battles.
(d) Military procedures.
4. Which of the following was one of the ways to raise money for a military campaign in ancient Greece?
(a) To plunder a town.
(b) To borrow from a town.
(c) To sell parts from ships.
(d) To sell weapons.
5. How often does Xenophon describe the way money is raised?
(a) In some cases, he does not describe how money is raised.
(b) He describes how money is raised in every case.
(c) He describes how money is raised in three cases.
(d) He describes how money is raised in every case except one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
2. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
3. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
4. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
5. Which war is ending at the beginning of the fourth section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
2. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
3. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
4. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
5. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
6. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
7. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
8. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
9. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
10. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)