|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
(a) A war ship.
(b) A fish.
(c) Characteristics of good fortune.
(d) Symptoms of mental illness.
2. What city did Xenophon represent in the military?
3. Which season was hard for the sailors?
4. How did Xenophon begin his story?
(a) Similar to the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(b) Slightly different from the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(c) Similar to the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(d) Slightly different from the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
5. What is significant about Alcibiades?
(a) He is the only name in the book that people educated in philosophy would recognize.
(b) He is the only name in the book that people educated in philosophy would not recognize.
(c) He is the last name mentioned in Chapter 1.
(d) He is the first name mentioned in Chapter 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
2. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
3. Which publishing company is used to present the summary for "A History of My Times"?
4. According to the Introductions, how opinionated was Xenophon?
5. When was Thibron exiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
2. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
3. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
4. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
5. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
6. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
7. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
8. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
9. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
10. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)