|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
(b) The enemy's spears.
(c) The enemy's shields.
2. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
(a) He is the editor and writes the introduction.
(b) He is the translator.
(c) He writes the introduction.
(d) He is the editor.
3. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
4. What is a satrap?
(a) A Persian provincial ruler.
(b) A Persian worker.
(c) A Persian philosopher.
(d) A Persian military leader.
5. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
(a) The translator, the editor, and the writer of the introduction.
(b) The writer of the introduction and the editor.
(c) The translator and the editor.
(d) The translator and the writer of the introduction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
2. What is the major issue of the second chapter?
3. Which one of the following was Cyrus's brother?
4. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
5. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did wealth affect the ranking of a military officer, and why were the poor delegated to the lightest infantry?
2. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
3. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
4. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
5. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
6. What was the politician's objection to the idea of plundering a town for money?
7. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
8. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
9. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
10. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)