|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the list of places where the most intense fighting occurs?
2. How were Cyrus's military actions against his brother perceived?
(a) They were considered to be precedent.
(b) They were considered to be unprecedented.
(c) They were considered to be impulsive.
(d) They were considered to be well planned.
3. What years do the events of the book take place?
(a) 404 and 408 B.C.
(b) 405 and 407 B.C.
(c) 400 and 402 B.C.
(d) 406 and 409 B.C.
4. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) An enemy from another city.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A rival politician.
(d) Her son-in-law.
5. What did the local politician observe in the story told in Chapter 2?
(a) A small number of little reeds.
(b) A small number of big reeds.
(c) A large number of big reeds.
(d) A large number of little reeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
2. What type of ruler is Mania described as?
3. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
4. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
5. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
2. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
3. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
4. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
5. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
6. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
7. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
8. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
9. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
10. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)