|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To make all new laws.
(b) To remain loyal to them.
(c) To listen to them.
(d) To bring them together.
2. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
(b) A few.
(d) Only one.
3. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
(a) Half of the year.
(b) Most of the year.
(c) Not even one month out of the year.
(d) One month out of the year.
4. What audience is the book, "A History of My Times", trying to reach?
(a) An academic audience.
(b) Every audience.
(c) A non-academic audience.
(d) The book was only written as a personal memoir.
5. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
(a) He is the translator.
(b) He is the editor.
(c) He writes the introduction.
(d) He is the editor and writes the introduction.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
2. How did the politician first approach the reeds dilemma in the story?
3. What were trophies often made out of?
4. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
5. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were the sailors who were granted pay living, and what kind of lifestyle did they have?
2. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
3. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
4. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
5. What caused the decisions made by Generals that resulted in the exile of many mid-range officers?
6. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
7. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
8. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
9. As Xenophon's stories display, how might fighting wars be a necessary step towards peace?
10. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)