|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which well-known philosopher was Xenophon a contemporary of?
2. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
3. How is the bottom of the ranks characterized in the book?
(a) Light infantry.
(b) Light cavalry.
(c) Heavy cavalry.
(d) Heavy infantry.
4. How was Thibron's exile first considered?
5. Where is the bibliography located in "A History of My Times"?
(a) After the main text.
(b) Before the main text.
(c) On the back cover.
(d) Throughout the main text.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sailors do when they were not at war?
2. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
3. How many politically sanctioned killings were there in the story told in Book 2, Chapter 2?
4. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
5. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mania oversee her military operations?
2. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
3. What did the politician do to raise the money for the soldiers and what type of solution did that provide?
4. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
5. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
6. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
7. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
8. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
9. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
10. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)