|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
2. What did being born into Knight class mean for Xenophon?
(a) He could afford to wear a uniform.
(b) He could afford a horse.
(c) He was allowed to voice his opinion on the laws.
(d) He was allowed to write the laws.
3. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Ignoring his mentor.
(b) Agreeing with his mentor.
(c) Embarrassing his mentor.
(d) Arguing with his mentor.
4. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
(a) It is long, but features several smaller segments.
(b) It is brief.
(c) It is long.
(d) It is an average length.
5. What were trophies often made out of?
(b) The enemy's spears.
(d) The enemy's shields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Xenophon begin his story?
2. According to the editor, who will be delighted by the bibliography in the book?
3. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
4. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
5. What part of the military commanders motivated Xenophon to write the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
2. How were people educated and trained for their service in a military team?
3. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
4. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
5. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
6. As indicated in the Introduction, what are Xenophon's motivations in writing "A History of My Times"?
7. What is the point of Cyrus's story as it is told by Xenophon?
8. How did the Arcadians gain their self-importance, and what did that do for the region?
9. Who was Alcibiades and how is he described?
10. What type of sacrifice does Xenophon describe that is made by the Spartans?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)