|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
(a) The enemy's spears.
(d) The enemy's shields.
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
(a) A fish.
(b) Symptoms of mental illness.
(c) A war ship.
(d) Characteristics of good fortune.
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Once every other battle.
(b) After every battle.
(c) Only when time allowed.
(d) After most battles.
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were undisciplined.
(b) They were not aggressive enough.
(c) They were too aggressive.
(d) They were over-disciplined.
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
(a) His own men.
(b) The enemy.
(c) Another city's army.
(d) Island natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
2. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
3. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
4. Where was Alcibiades from?
5. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jason describe the King of Persia and the Persians?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. According to the editor, Betty Radice, what is the difference between a memoir and history?
4. What things did Polydamss value in a solider?
5. What type of a ruler was Alexander of Pherae in Thessaly?
6. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
7. According to Xenophon's story, what is the first thing that a man should consider when deciding which woman to marry, and how does that compare to today's culture?
8. Displaying Xenophon's point about loyalty, what suggestion did the lower ranking soldiers make after the exile of multiple mid-range officers, and how was their suggestion received?
9. What is augury?
10. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)