|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is each one of the chapters in the second book devoted to?
(a) The description of a different military leader.
(b) The description of a different city.
(c) The description of a different battle.
(d) The description of a different war ship.
2. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) An enemy from another city.
(b) A rival politician.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her son-in-law.
3. Which season was hard for the sailors?
4. Which publishing company is used to present the summary for "A History of My Times"?
(b) John Hopkins University.
(c) Oxford World Classics.
(d) Penguin Classics.
5. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
(a) They were paid abundantly.
(b) They were paid moderately.
(c) They were unpaid.
(d) They were paid very little.
Short Answer Questions
1. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
2. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
3. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
4. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
5. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
2. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
3. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
4. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
5. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
6. Why is the bibliography located in the front of the book, and what is the editor's advice regarding the notes that follow it?
7. Why was Xenophon's loyalty questioned when he served in the Athenian military?
8. What were the reasons why women of ancient Greece would want to be included in the military, and what were some of the reasons why they would not?
9. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
10. What were the funds that were raised used for during a war?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)