|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
(a) Half of the year.
(b) Not even one month out of the year.
(c) One month out of the year.
(d) Most of the year.
2. How did Xenophon begin his story?
(a) Similar to the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(b) Slightly different from the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(c) Similar to the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(d) Slightly different from the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
3. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
4. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the list of places where the most intense fighting occurs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
2. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
3. According to Xenophon, how many brothers are at war with each other?
4. Where did the politician give a speech in the story about the reeds?
5. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story told by Xenophon, how and why was the decision made to sack a town?
2. How many ships were used in water and shoreline battles, and which locations are mentioned as receiving the most fighting in the first chapter?
3. How is Xenophon's writing style compared to contemporary writers?
4. What effect did the Athenian civil war have on the relationship between Athens and Sparta?
5. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
6. What famous philosopher did Xenophon know, and how does that provide insight into certain historical events?
7. What problems in Arcadia end the book, "A History of My Times"?
8. How does Xenophon include the issue of marriage in "A History of My Times"?
9. How many men did Xenophon lead in the military, and what were some of the complaints about them?
10. What was used to make trophies and when were they usually presented?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)