|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the bottom of the ranks characterized in the book?
(a) Light cavalry.
(b) Heavy cavalry.
(c) Heavy infantry.
(d) Light infantry.
2. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Arguing with his mentor.
(b) Ignoring his mentor.
(c) Agreeing with his mentor.
(d) Embarrassing his mentor.
3. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
(a) Mostly accessible.
(b) Somewhat accessible.
(c) Not accessible at all.
(d) Very accessible.
4. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) To get money.
(c) To get money and supplies.
(d) To get supplies.
5. According to the Introductions, how opinionated was Xenophon?
(a) Xenophon did not give his opinions at all.
(b) More opinionated than the other authors of his time.
(c) Less opinionated than the other authors of his time.
(d) As opinionated as the other authors of his time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
2. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
3. Which well-known philosopher was Xenophon a contemporary of?
4. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
5. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main point of Cinadon's story?
2. How large was Polydamas's mercenary force and how did he test them?
3. Why are there maps included in the back of the book, "A History of My Times"?
4. What happened in the city of Phocis and why did Sparta help?
5. What hardships did the sailors encounter when they were not at war?
6. How was Mania's son-in-law convinced to betray her?
7. What happened to Thibron after he returned to Sparta and why?
8. How did the military leaders cooperate with each other on the issue of funding?
9. How did Mania become the satrap, and what type of leader was she?
10. In response to the objections, what was Procles' proposal that clarified the agreement between Athens and Sparta?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)