|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
(a) He put them in the back lines.
(b) He trained them again.
(c) He eliminated them.
(d) He put them in the front lines.
2. Who conducted the raid in the second story of Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. How many days should the command be rotated between Athens and Sparta, according to Procles?
4. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
(a) They ignored Phocis.
(b) They attacked Phocis.
(c) They sent help to Phocis.
(d) They attempted to reason with the enemy of Phocis.
5. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The disadvantages of war.
(b) The advantages of war.
(c) The dangers of war.
(d) The importance of war.
6. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) The battles on land.
(b) Political action.
(c) The battles at sea.
(d) Creating laws.
7. How often did Polydamas test his men?
8. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
(a) A declaration of war.
(b) A truce.
(c) A murder.
(d) A battle.
9. Where did the Spartans place a trophy?
(a) At the side of their first defeat.
(b) On the grave of a fallen soldier.
(c) At the site of their first victory.
(d) On a mountain.
10. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
(a) He was exiled.
(b) He was removed from command.
(c) He was commended.
(d) He was questioned.
11. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
(a) Brief and not detailed.
(b) Brief, but detailed.
(c) Lengthy and detailed.
(d) Lengthy, but not detailed.
12. How was the massacre planned?
(a) Only military leaders knew.
(b) Arrangements were made in advance.
(c) It was an impulsive decision.
(d) Only political leaders knew.
13. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
(a) She is not present for the advice.
(b) She agrees with it.
(c) She strongly disagrees with it.
(d) She somewhat disagrees with it.
14. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
(a) Neither the Spartans nor the Athenians would have any control.
(b) The Spartans would have more control than the Athenians would.
(c) The Athenians would have more control than the Spartans.
(d) Both the Spartans and the Athenians would have too much control.
15. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
2. In ancient times, how was the opposition of people chosen?
3. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What was the strength of Athens as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Sparta?
5. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)