|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
(a) They sent him away.
(b) They asked him to join their army.
(c) They complimented him.
(d) They ridiculed him.
2. How often did Polydamas test his men?
3. How did Athens use its main strength?
(a) By instinct.
(b) Against all enemies.
(c) Only against certain enemies.
(d) By necessity.
4. Which years did the events in Book 2, Chapter 5 take place?
(a) 386-382 B.C.
(b) 389-386 B.C.
(c) 387-385 B.C.
(d) 384-380 B.C.
5. According to one man's advice, what should another man first consider when choosing a wife?
6. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The disadvantages of war.
(b) The importance of war.
(c) The advantages of war.
(d) The dangers of war.
7. How was Procles' speech received?
(a) It drew objections from everyone.
(b) It impressed everyone.
(c) It impressed some, but drew objections from others.
(d) It received no response.
8. According to Jason, what condition were the Persians taught?
9. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
(a) A religious festival.
(b) A battle.
(c) An election.
(d) A wedding.
10. How weak did Jason think the King of Persia really was?
(a) Just as weak as the opposition thought.
(b) He did not comment on the weakness.
(c) Weaker than the opposition thought.
(d) Not as weak as the opposition thought.
11. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
(a) He was exiled.
(b) He was questioned.
(c) He was removed from command.
(d) He was commended.
12. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
13. How important was knowing a person's ally leaders in the stories told by Xenophon?
(a) More important than knowing the enemy.
(b) Equal to knowing the enemy.
(c) Slightly less important than knowing the enemy.
(d) Much less important than knowing the enemy.
14. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
15. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right entity and time.
(b) The right entity, time, and location.
(c) The right entity and location.
(d) The right time and location.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
2. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
3. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
4. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
5. How was the massacre planned?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)