|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Polydamas test his men?
2. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
(a) They should have a strong reputation.
(b) They should have many members.
(c) They should be largely unknown.
(d) They should only have a few members.
3. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(a) Counter measures were prepared.
(b) Two cities surrendered.
(c) A civil war began.
4. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
5. What name was given to the treaty for peace between the Greek cities?
(a) The King's Peace.
(b) The King's Peaceful Treaty.
(c) The King's Treaty for Peace.
(d) The Peace of the King.
6. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
(a) David Cartwright.
(b) Francis MacDonald Cornford.
(c) Jonathan J. Price.
(d) Rex Warner.
7. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
8. Which one of the following was included in Polydams's speech about what he valued in a soldier?
(c) Durability under hardships.
(d) Intelligence under pressure.
9. What was the reason for the Spartans' animal sacrifice?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) To serve as a warning.
(c) To celebrate.
10. Where did the raid take place, according to the second story of the fifth chapter of Book 2?
11. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
12. How was Procles' speech received?
(a) It drew objections from everyone.
(b) It impressed some, but drew objections from others.
(c) It impressed everyone.
(d) It received no response.
13. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right entity and time.
(b) The right entity and location.
(c) The right time and location.
(d) The right entity, time, and location.
14. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
15. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
(a) They ridiculed him.
(b) They sent him away.
(c) They asked him to join their army.
(d) They complimented him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
2. What did Procles acknowledge in his speech?
3. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What aspect of the Spartan culture was the subject of ridicule?
5. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)