|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
(a) Thunder, lightning, and rainfall.
(b) Thunder and lightning.
(d) Rainfall and strong winds.
2. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
(a) The Spartans would have more control than the Athenians would.
(b) Both the Spartans and the Athenians would have too much control.
(c) The Athenians would have more control than the Spartans.
(d) Neither the Spartans nor the Athenians would have any control.
3. When did the Spartans make their animal sacrifice?
(a) After a battle.
(b) Before a bad storm.
(c) Before engaging the enemy.
(d) After the death of someone.
4. According to Xenophon's story, what is the best method for obtaining perspective?
5. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
6. What aspect of the Spartan culture was the subject of ridicule?
(a) Their politics.
(b) Their military.
(c) Their male culture.
(d) Their female culture.
7. Where was the massacre Xenophon writes about committed?
(a) In public.
(b) In a large hall.
(c) In private.
(d) In a forest.
8. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
(a) She strongly disagrees with it.
(b) She agrees with it.
(c) She somewhat disagrees with it.
(d) She is not present for the advice.
9. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
(a) He was commended.
(b) He was questioned.
(c) He was exiled.
(d) He was removed from command.
10. Which one of the following was included in Polydams's speech about what he valued in a soldier?
(b) Intelligence under pressure.
(d) Durability under hardships.
11. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
12. How weak did Jason think the King of Persia really was?
(a) Weaker than the opposition thought.
(b) Not as weak as the opposition thought.
(c) He did not comment on the weakness.
(d) Just as weak as the opposition thought.
13. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
(a) They are referred to by a numbered scale of importance.
(b) They are each given a letter and a number.
(c) They are personalized.
(d) They are grouped together.
14. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
(a) They attacked Phocis.
(b) They attempted to reason with the enemy of Phocis.
(c) They sent help to Phocis.
(d) They ignored Phocis.
15. How many total chapters are included in the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
2. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
3. What was the strength of Athens as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Sparta?
4. What type of a massacre was committed?
5. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)