|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Making their city famous.
(b) Making their unit famous.
(c) Making their enemies famous.
(d) Making a name for themselves.
2. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
3. What caused the status of Athens to change?
(a) Poor leadership.
(b) A lack of laws.
(c) A lack of military.
(d) A civil war.
4. What was a main factor of decision-making for the Spartans?
5. How many total chapters are included in the book?
6. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
(a) Brief, but detailed.
(b) Lengthy and detailed.
(c) Lengthy, but not detailed.
(d) Brief and not detailed.
7. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
8. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
(a) It is only mentioned as a definition for another term.
(b) There is some mention of it.
(c) There are many pages dedicated to it.
(d) There is no mention of it.
9. When did the Spartans make their animal sacrifice?
(a) After a battle.
(b) Before engaging the enemy.
(c) After the death of someone.
(d) Before a bad storm.
10. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(b) Two cities surrendered.
(c) Counter measures were prepared.
(d) A civil war began.
11. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
12. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
(a) He was exiled.
(b) He was questioned.
(c) He was commended.
(d) He was removed from command.
13. In Chapter 5, how much of the text is dedicated to the military alliances and balancing of power within them?
(a) Only a small portion of the text.
(b) Most of the text.
(c) Half of the text.
(d) None of the text.
14. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
(a) He put them in the back lines.
(b) He trained them again.
(c) He put them in the front lines.
(d) He eliminated them.
15. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right time and location.
(b) The right entity and location.
(c) The right entity, time, and location.
(d) The right entity and time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Polydamas test his men?
2. How was the massacre planned?
3. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
4. In the adviser's opinion, what social class should the woman be?
5. How did Athens use its main strength?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)