|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
2. What did Procles acknowledge in his speech?
(a) Sparta was unable to defeat Athens.
(b) Athens has never feared Sparta.
(c) Sparta has never feared Athens.
(d) Athens was unable to defeat Sparta.
3. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(a) Counter measures were prepared.
(b) Two cities surrendered.
(d) A civil war began.
4. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
(a) He put them in the back lines.
(b) He trained them again.
(c) He eliminated them.
(d) He put them in the front lines.
5. How important was knowing a person's ally leaders in the stories told by Xenophon?
(a) Slightly less important than knowing the enemy.
(b) More important than knowing the enemy.
(c) Much less important than knowing the enemy.
(d) Equal to knowing the enemy.
6. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
7. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
8. What did Polydamas do with men that he found to be in excellent military condition?
(a) He put them in the front lines.
(b) He put them in the back lines.
(c) He made them captains.
(d) He rewarded them.
9. How wealthy was the King of Persia thought to be?
(a) The second richest man in the region.
(b) The richest man in the region.
(c) The second richest man in the city.
(d) The richest man in the city.
10. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
(a) The new leadership of their military.
(b) The accomplishments of their allies.
(c) The failures of their enemies.
(d) Their previous accomplishments.
11. What type of a massacre was committed?
(a) An expected attack.
(b) A drawn out attack.
(c) A quick attack.
(d) A surprise attack.
12. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
(a) The major events discussed in the next chapter.
(b) The major events discussed in the previous chapter.
(c) The major events discussed in that chapter.
(d) The major events discussed in the previous and next chapters.
13. When did the Spartans make their animal sacrifice?
(a) After the death of someone.
(b) Before a bad storm.
(c) After a battle.
(d) Before engaging the enemy.
14. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
(a) A declaration of war.
(b) A murder.
(c) A truce.
(d) A battle.
15. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
2. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
3. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
4. What caused the crisis of Phocis?
5. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)