|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) Four thousand.
(c) Eight thousand.
(d) Six thousand.
2. How are the efforts of the Spartans described after their animal sacrifice?
(b) It is unknown.
(d) They had some success and some failure.
3. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
4. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
(a) They ignored Phocis.
(b) They attacked Phocis.
(c) They sent help to Phocis.
(d) They attempted to reason with the enemy of Phocis.
5. What did the people of Phocis claim they would do if Sparta did not help them?
(a) Join forces with Sparta's enemy.
(b) Give in to their enemy's demands.
(c) Attack their enemy alone.
(d) Move from the city.
6. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
(a) A wedding.
(b) An election.
(c) A battle.
(d) A religious festival.
7. What did Polydamas do with men that he found to be in excellent military condition?
(a) He rewarded them.
(b) He put them in the back lines.
(c) He put them in the front lines.
(d) He made them captains.
8. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
9. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
10. Who conducted the raid in the second story of Book 2, Chapter 5?
11. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
(a) They sent him away.
(b) They ridiculed him.
(c) They asked him to join their army.
(d) They complimented him.
12. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
(a) Have fewer laws.
(b) Have more laws.
(c) Have mercy.
(d) Have pride.
13. In Chapter 5, how much of the text is dedicated to the military alliances and balancing of power within them?
(a) None of the text.
(b) Only a small portion of the text.
(c) Half of the text.
(d) Most of the text.
14. Who was Dercylidas?
(a) A Theban commander.
(b) A Macedonian commander.
(c) A Persian commander.
(d) A Spartan commander.
15. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Making their unit famous.
(b) Making their city famous.
(c) Making a name for themselves.
(d) Making their enemies famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
2. What was the strength of Athens as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Sparta?
3. Where did the Spartans place a trophy?
4. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
5. What caused the crisis of Phocis?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)