|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) The battles at sea.
(b) Political action.
(c) The battles on land.
(d) Creating laws.
2. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
(a) Eight thousand.
(b) Six thousand.
(c) Two thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
3. Which years did the events in Book 2, Chapter 5 take place?
(a) 387-385 B.C.
(b) 389-386 B.C.
(c) 384-380 B.C.
(d) 386-382 B.C.
4. Where do the majority of events in Chapter 6 take place?
5. What did Polydamas do with men that he found to be in excellent military condition?
(a) He put them in the front lines.
(b) He made them captains.
(c) He rewarded them.
(d) He put them in the back lines.
6. According to Jason, what condition were the Persians taught?
7. Which one of the following was included in Polydams's speech about what he valued in a soldier?
(a) Durability under hardships.
(d) Intelligence under pressure.
8. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
(a) A victory celebration.
(b) A way to mourn.
(c) A religious observation.
(d) A feast.
9. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
(a) It is only mentioned as a definition for another term.
(b) There are many pages dedicated to it.
(c) There is no mention of it.
(d) There is some mention of it.
10. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
(a) They attacked Phocis.
(b) They attempted to reason with the enemy of Phocis.
(c) They sent help to Phocis.
(d) They ignored Phocis.
11. In Chapter 5, how much of the text is dedicated to the military alliances and balancing of power within them?
(a) Half of the text.
(b) Only a small portion of the text.
(c) Most of the text.
(d) None of the text.
12. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
13. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(a) Two cities surrendered.
(b) Counter measures were prepared.
(c) A civil war began.
14. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
(a) She agrees with it.
(b) She strongly disagrees with it.
(c) She is not present for the advice.
(d) She somewhat disagrees with it.
15. What type of a massacre was committed?
(a) A surprise attack.
(b) A quick attack.
(c) An expected attack.
(d) A drawn out attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
2. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
4. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
5. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)