|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
2. How did Sparta respond to the request for help from Phocis?
(a) They ignored Phocis.
(b) They attacked Phocis.
(c) They sent help to Phocis.
(d) They attempted to reason with the enemy of Phocis.
3. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
(a) Both the Spartans and the Athenians would have too much control.
(b) Neither the Spartans nor the Athenians would have any control.
(c) The Spartans would have more control than the Athenians would.
(d) The Athenians would have more control than the Spartans.
4. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
(a) Have fewer laws.
(b) Have mercy.
(c) Have pride.
(d) Have more laws.
5. According to Xenophon's story, what is the best method for obtaining perspective?
6. What caused the crisis of Phocis?
(a) The behavior of others.
(b) A lack of laws.
(c) Their own behavior.
(d) Too many laws.
7. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
(a) Neither in the military nor upon burial.
(b) Only in the military.
(c) In the military and upon burial.
(d) Only upon burial.
8. In Chapter 5, how much of the text is dedicated to the military alliances and balancing of power within them?
(a) Most of the text.
(b) Only a small portion of the text.
(c) None of the text.
(d) Half of the text.
9. Where was the peace conference held at the end of the book?
10. What was the purpose of the massacre?
(a) To prevent an attack.
(b) To prevent an alliance.
(c) To cause an alliance.
(d) To cause an attack.
11. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
(a) She agrees with it.
(b) She strongly disagrees with it.
(c) She is not present for the advice.
(d) She somewhat disagrees with it.
12. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
(a) The major events discussed in the previous chapter.
(b) The major events discussed in the previous and next chapters.
(c) The major events discussed in the next chapter.
(d) The major events discussed in that chapter.
13. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
(a) Rainfall and strong winds.
(b) Thunder, lightning, and rainfall.
(d) Thunder and lightning.
14. As noted by the editor, which city's re-establishment is not mentioned by the author?
15. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
(a) Four thousand.
(b) Two thousand.
(c) Six thousand.
(d) Eight thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
2. What caused the status of Athens to change?
3. How many days should the command be rotated between Athens and Sparta, according to Procles?
4. How is augury defined?
5. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)