|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days should the command be rotated between Athens and Sparta, according to Procles?
2. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
(a) Neither in the military nor upon burial.
(b) Only in the military.
(c) In the military and upon burial.
(d) Only upon burial.
3. What Spartan soldier served as a diplomat for peace between the cities of Greece?
4. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) Eight thousand.
(c) Six thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
6. Where was the massacre Xenophon writes about committed?
(a) In a large hall.
(b) In public.
(c) In a forest.
(d) In private.
7. What type of a massacre was committed?
(a) An expected attack.
(b) A quick attack.
(c) A surprise attack.
(d) A drawn out attack.
8. What other city's founding is not included by Xenophon, as pointed out by the editor?
9. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
10. How is Dercylidas described in an earlier section?
11. What did the people of Phocis claim they would do if Sparta did not help them?
(a) Attack their enemy alone.
(b) Give in to their enemy's demands.
(c) Join forces with Sparta's enemy.
(d) Move from the city.
12. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
13. Which city was giving Phocis the most trouble?
14. How was Procles' speech received?
(a) It impressed everyone.
(b) It received no response.
(c) It drew objections from everyone.
(d) It impressed some, but drew objections from others.
15. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) The battles on land.
(b) The battles at sea.
(c) Political action.
(d) Creating laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
2. What is an appeal for a military commander that is discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
3. What aspect of the Spartan culture was the subject of ridicule?
4. How often did Polydamas test his men?
5. According to Jason, what condition were the Persians taught?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)