|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one man's advice, what should another man first consider when choosing a wife?
2. How was a military leader treated after a raid during the story?
(a) He was commended.
(b) He was removed from command.
(c) He was questioned.
(d) He was exiled.
3. What did the Spartans do with Polydamas after they handled his request?
(a) They asked him to join their army.
(b) They sent him away.
(c) They complimented him.
(d) They ridiculed him.
4. How long after an agreement was reached, did the Spartans and the Athenians attack the Thebans?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
5. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
6. In ancient times, how was the opposition of people chosen?
7. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The importance of war.
(b) The disadvantages of war.
(c) The advantages of war.
(d) The dangers of war.
8. How often did Polydamas test his men?
9. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
(a) The accomplishments of their allies.
(b) The new leadership of their military.
(c) Their previous accomplishments.
(d) The failures of their enemies.
10. How is a woman's willingness to marry mentioned in the book?
(a) There is no mention of it.
(b) There is some mention of it.
(c) It is only mentioned as a definition for another term.
(d) There are many pages dedicated to it.
11. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
(b) Rainfall and strong winds.
(c) Thunder, lightning, and rainfall.
(d) Thunder and lightning.
12. Where do the majority of events in Chapter 6 take place?
13. What type of operation is described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 5?
14. In the adviser's opinion, what social class should the woman be?
(a) Above the class of the man she marries.
(b) Her class is irrelevant.
(c) Similar to the class of the man she marries.
(d) Below the class of the man she marries.
15. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
(a) They should only have a few members.
(b) They should have a strong reputation.
(c) They should be largely unknown.
(d) They should have many members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
2. What caused the status of Athens to change?
3. What is the description given to Dercylidas in this current section of the book?
4. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
5. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)