|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
2. How many men are discussing the idea of marriage in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. What was the purpose of the massacre?
(a) To prevent an alliance.
(b) To cause an attack.
(c) To cause an alliance.
(d) To prevent an attack.
4. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
(a) A battle.
(b) A declaration of war.
(c) A truce.
(d) A murder.
5. Which subdivision of Greece was raided as a result of a leader's invitation?
6. Where did the raid take place, according to the second story of the fifth chapter of Book 2?
7. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
8. What was an animal sacrifice known as in some ancient cultures?
(a) A victory celebration.
(b) A religious observation.
(c) A feast.
(d) A way to mourn.
9. What caused the Arcadians to value their status?
(a) The accomplishments of their allies.
(b) The failures of their enemies.
(c) The new leadership of their military.
(d) Their previous accomplishments.
10. Besides augury, which one of the following was another feature of Ancient Greek religion?
11. What statue provided inspiration for troops as they defeated the enemy without losing a single soldier?
12. How many days should the command be rotated between Athens and Sparta, according to Procles?
13. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
(a) Have fewer laws.
(b) Have more laws.
(c) Have pride.
(d) Have mercy.
14. Based on Xenophon's explanation, what happened after the raid?
(a) A civil war began.
(b) Counter measures were prepared.
(c) Two cities surrendered.
15. How did Athens use its main strength?
(a) By instinct.
(b) Only against certain enemies.
(c) Against all enemies.
(d) By necessity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reportedly followed a speech given by the commander, Archidamus, to his troops?
2. How are the events presented in the book in order to account for why certain things occurred?
3. Who is the translator for this edition of "A History of My Times"?
4. What was the reason for the Spartans' animal sacrifice?
5. How many methods of decision-making are described by Xenophon?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)