|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the crisis of Phocis?
(a) Their own behavior.
(b) Too many laws.
(c) A lack of laws.
(d) The behavior of others.
2. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
(a) She somewhat disagrees with it.
(b) She strongly disagrees with it.
(c) She agrees with it.
(d) She is not present for the advice.
3. What was one main concern about Procles' proposal?
(a) Both the Spartans and the Athenians would have too much control.
(b) The Spartans would have more control than the Athenians would.
(c) The Athenians would have more control than the Spartans.
(d) Neither the Spartans nor the Athenians would have any control.
4. Where was the massacre Xenophon writes about committed?
(a) In public.
(b) In private.
(c) In a forest.
(d) In a large hall.
5. What was the purpose of the massacre?
(a) To prevent an alliance.
(b) To cause an alliance.
(c) To prevent an attack.
(d) To cause an attack.
6. What is listed at the top of the pages in the beginning of the chapters?
(a) The major events discussed in the next chapter.
(b) The major events discussed in the previous chapter.
(c) The major events discussed in that chapter.
(d) The major events discussed in the previous and next chapters.
7. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
8. According to Polydamas, what must soldiers develop a taste for?
(a) The dangers of war.
(b) The advantages of war.
(c) The disadvantages of war.
(d) The importance of war.
9. As depicted in Book 2, Chapter 5, what can the actions of one leader affect?
(a) An entire country.
(b) An entire city.
(c) A particular law.
(d) Another leader.
10. How is augury defined?
(a) Predicting a natural disaster.
(b) Predicting the weather.
(c) Reading omens.
(d) Reading the stars.
11. Whom were the Spartans feuding with in the beginning of the sixth chapter of Book 2?
12. How did Polydamas reward his men with honor and prestige?
(a) In the military and upon burial.
(b) Neither in the military nor upon burial.
(c) Only upon burial.
(d) Only in the military.
13. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
(a) A declaration of war.
(b) A murder.
(c) A truce.
(d) A battle.
14. What city was the main focus of the massacre's intent?
15. What was taking place on the day of the massacre described by the author?
(a) An election.
(b) A battle.
(c) A religious festival.
(d) A wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Polydamas's request for assistance described?
2. As noted by the editor, which city's re-establishment is not mentioned by the author?
3. What is the description given to Dercylidas in this current section of the book?
4. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
5. How many days should the command be rotated between Athens and Sparta, according to Procles?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)