|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the massacre Xenophon writes about committed?
(a) In public.
(b) In private.
(c) In a forest.
(d) In a large hall.
2. What animal did the Spartans sacrifice in the example Xenophon gives?
(a) A goat.
(b) A cow.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A turkey.
3. How did Athens use its main strength?
(a) By necessity.
(b) By instinct.
(c) Only against certain enemies.
(d) Against all enemies.
4. What aspect of the Spartan culture was the subject of ridicule?
(a) Their politics.
(b) Their male culture.
(c) Their female culture.
(d) Their military.
5. In ancient times, how was the opposition of people chosen?
6. What does the adviser suggest a woman's family should be like in order to consider marrying her?
(a) They should have a strong reputation.
(b) They should have many members.
(c) They should be largely unknown.
(d) They should only have a few members.
7. How is augury defined?
(a) Reading omens.
(b) Predicting the weather.
(c) Predicting a natural disaster.
(d) Reading the stars.
8. What was the reason for the Spartans' animal sacrifice?
(b) To serve as a warning.
(c) To celebrate.
(d) Bad weather.
9. Which goddess did the Spartans make an animal sacrifice for?
10. How often did Polydamas test his men?
11. What was the strength of Sparta as it prepared to enter into an alliance with Athenians?
(a) Political action.
(b) The battles on land.
(c) Creating laws.
(d) The battles at sea.
12. Where were the first Athenian-Spartan forces sent?
13. How many mercenaries did Polydamas claim to have available to him?
(a) Eight thousand.
(b) Two thousand.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Six thousand.
14. Which element(s) must be included in the ancient ritual sacrifices discussed in Book 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The right time and location.
(b) The right entity, time, and location.
(c) The right entity and location.
(d) The right entity and time.
15. As noted by the editor, which city's re-establishment is not mentioned by the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Xenophon's story, what prompted an invitation for a raid?
2. How does the woman respond to the advice about marriage that is given to the man?
3. What were the Arcadians encouraged to do?
4. Where is the location of the first event Xenophon recounts in Book 2, Chapter 5?
5. What did Polydamas do with men who were lacking the preferred military skills?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)