|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
(b) Only one.
(c) A few.
2. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
(a) They were paid abundantly.
(b) They were paid very little.
(c) They were paid moderately.
(d) They were unpaid.
3. What did the local politician observe in the story told in Chapter 2?
(a) A large number of big reeds.
(b) A small number of big reeds.
(c) A large number of little reeds.
(d) A small number of little reeds.
4. Which one of the following was Cyrus's brother?
5. What audience is the book, "A History of My Times", trying to reach?
(a) An academic audience.
(b) Every audience.
(c) A non-academic audience.
(d) The book was only written as a personal memoir.
6. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) An enemy from another city.
(b) A rival politician.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her son-in-law.
7. What happened to the reeds in the story?
(a) They were given to the soldiers.
(b) They disappeared.
(c) They were cut in half.
(d) They multiplied.
8. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
(a) One week's wages.
(b) Two month's wages.
(c) Two week's wages.
(d) One month's wages.
9. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To remain loyal to them.
(b) To listen to them.
(c) To make all new laws.
(d) To bring them together.
10. Which one of the following is not included in the list of places where the most intense fighting occurs?
11. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
(a) He is the translator.
(b) He writes the introduction.
(c) He is the editor and writes the introduction.
(d) He is the editor.
12. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
(a) The translator and the editor.
(b) The translator, the editor, and the writer of the introduction.
(c) The translator and the writer of the introduction.
(d) The writer of the introduction and the editor.
13. Which season was hard for the sailors?
14. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
(a) Twenty five.
(b) Seventy five.
(d) One hundred.
15. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
(a) Slightly shorter than normal.
(d) Extremely short.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
2. According to Xenophon, how many brothers are at war with each other?
3. How were the ships made available to Cyrus by a Spartan?
4. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
5. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)