|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
2. What audience is the book, "A History of My Times", trying to reach?
(a) The book was only written as a personal memoir.
(b) Every audience.
(c) A non-academic audience.
(d) An academic audience.
3. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
(a) Battering down an enemy's walls.
(b) Planning strategies for the next attack.
(c) Appointing a new commander.
(d) Giving out trophies after a victory.
4. Which other historian's works did Xenophon have published?
5. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
(b) Field commander.
(d) Infantry guard.
6. When were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Both before and after the battles.
(b) As needed, on the battlefields.
(c) After the battles, when the winning army returned to their city.
(d) Before the battles.
7. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
(a) Somewhat accessible.
(b) Not accessible at all.
(c) Mostly accessible.
(d) Very accessible.
8. According to Xenophon, how many brothers are at war with each other?
9. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
(a) The loyalty they had for him and the city.
(b) The loyalty that they had for each other.
(c) The loyalty they had for him and each other.
(d) The loyalty they had for the city.
10. Which publishing company is used to present the summary for "A History of My Times"?
(a) Penguin Classics.
(b) John Hopkins University.
(c) Oxford World Classics.
11. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were undisciplined.
(b) They were not aggressive enough.
(c) They were over-disciplined.
(d) They were too aggressive.
12. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
(a) Most of the year.
(b) One month out of the year.
(c) Not even one month out of the year.
(d) Half of the year.
13. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
(a) The Rise of the Roman Empire.
(b) The Fall of the Roman Republic.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) Socrates' death.
14. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military procedures.
(b) Military language.
(c) Military battles.
(d) Military uniforms.
15. What is the major issue of the second chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
2. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
3. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
4. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
5. What did the sailors do when they were not at war?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)