|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
(a) He is the editor.
(b) He is the translator.
(c) He is the editor and writes the introduction.
(d) He writes the introduction.
2. What is found in the back of the book to help people understand military maneuvers better?
3. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military uniforms.
(b) Military language.
(c) Military battles.
(d) Military procedures.
4. Which of the following was one of the ways to raise money for a military campaign in ancient Greece?
(a) To plunder a town.
(b) To sell parts from ships.
(c) To sell weapons.
(d) To borrow from a town.
5. What did being born into Knight class mean for Xenophon?
(a) He was allowed to write the laws.
(b) He could afford a horse.
(c) He could afford to wear a uniform.
(d) He was allowed to voice his opinion on the laws.
6. When was Thibron exiled?
(a) Two days before he returned to Sparta.
(b) The day before he returned to Sparta.
(c) One week before he returned to Sparta.
(d) When he returned to Sparta.
7. Which war is ending at the beginning of the fourth section?
(a) The Peloponnesian War.
(b) The Trojan War.
(c) The Athenian civil war.
(d) The Persian War.
8. What event has Xenophon's works helped to clarify?
(a) The Fall of the Roman Republic.
(b) Socrates' death.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) The Rise of the Roman Empire.
9. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
10. What years do the events of the book take place?
(a) 405 and 407 B.C.
(b) 400 and 402 B.C.
(c) 404 and 408 B.C.
(d) 406 and 409 B.C.
11. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
(a) Marital status.
(b) Political affiliations.
12. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
(a) Trophies were given in all circumstances.
(b) Most of the circumstances must be right.
(c) A few of the circumstances must be right.
(d) All of the circumstances must be right.
13. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
(a) He was the worst leader in the military.
(b) He was the best leader in the military.
(c) He was not the best leader, but was able to lead effectively.
(d) He was not the best leader, and was unable to lead effectively.
14. How was Thibron's exile first considered?
15. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were over-disciplined.
(b) They were undisciplined.
(c) They were too aggressive.
(d) They were not aggressive enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
2. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
3. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
4. How is the bottom of the ranks characterized in the book?
5. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)