|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the politician give a speech in the story about the reeds?
(a) At every other ship.
(b) At every ship.
(c) At only one ship.
(d) At only two ships.
2. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
(b) Marital status.
(d) Political affiliations.
3. Which other historian's works did Xenophon have published?
4. How long has the war been waging when the second chapter begins?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Thirty five years.
(c) Twenty five years.
(d) Thirty years.
5. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
6. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
(a) The infantry and the cavalry.
(b) The cavalry.
(c) The infantry.
(d) Neither the infantry nor the cavalry.
7. Which publishing company is used to present the summary for "A History of My Times"?
(a) John Hopkins University.
(b) Penguin Classics.
(c) Oxford World Classics.
8. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
(a) Almost an entire fleet.
(b) Half of a fleet.
(c) An entire fleet.
(d) Two ships.
9. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
(a) Neither to observe certain victories nor to provide an incentive for armies.
(b) To provide an incentive for armies.
(c) To observe certain victories.
(d) To observe certain victories and provide an incentive for armies.
10. How did Xenophon begin his story?
(a) Similar to the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(b) Slightly different from the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(c) Slightly different from the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(d) Similar to the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
11. What are the ships that Alcibiades led called?
12. When were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Before the battles.
(b) As needed, on the battlefields.
(c) Both before and after the battles.
(d) After the battles, when the winning army returned to their city.
13. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As both a memoir and straight history.
(b) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
(c) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(d) As straight history instead of a memoir.
14. What did being born into Knight class mean for Xenophon?
(a) He was allowed to voice his opinion on the laws.
(b) He was allowed to write the laws.
(c) He could afford to wear a uniform.
(d) He could afford a horse.
15. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To make all new laws.
(b) To remain loyal to them.
(c) To bring them together.
(d) To listen to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
2. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
3. Which of the following works is referenced in the first chapter?
4. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
5. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)