|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many military leaders are discussed in the first chapter?
(a) A few.
(d) Only one.
2. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
(a) Not accessible at all.
(b) Mostly accessible.
(c) Very accessible.
(d) Somewhat accessible.
3. What was the incentive for women to serve in the ancient Greek military?
(a) They were paid before and after the battles they participate in.
(b) They were given the power to make laws.
(c) They were eligible to rule a city after participating in battle.
(d) They were granted the rights of citizenship.
4. How were Cyrus's military actions against his brother perceived?
(a) They were considered to be well planned.
(b) They were considered to be precedent.
(c) They were considered to be impulsive.
(d) They were considered to be unprecedented.
5. What is the largest number of ships discussed in the battles of the first chapter?
(c) One hundred.
6. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
7. What were trophies often made out of?
(c) The enemy's spears.
(d) The enemy's shields.
8. Which one of the following was Cyrus's brother?
9. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
(a) Twenty five.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Seventy five.
10. What is the fewest amount of ships involved in the water and shoreline battles of Chapter 1?
(a) Twenty five to thirty five.
(b) Five to ten.
(c) Twenty to twenty five.
(d) Ten to twenty.
11. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
(a) A politician.
(b) An assistant.
(c) An enemy informant.
(d) A military leader.
12. What word best describes the description of the ancient forms of military ranking in the book?
13. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military uniforms.
(b) Military procedures.
(c) Military language.
(d) Military battles.
14. Where did Cyrus battle his brother?
15. When was Thibron exiled?
(a) The day before he returned to Sparta.
(b) One week before he returned to Sparta.
(c) When he returned to Sparta.
(d) Two days before he returned to Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
2. What is found in the back of the book to help people understand military maneuvers better?
3. Which biographer included Xenophon in his works?
4. What is a satrap?
5. What part of the military commanders motivated Xenophon to write the book?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)