|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
(a) The loyalty they had for him and each other.
(b) The loyalty they had for the city.
(c) The loyalty that they had for each other.
(d) The loyalty they had for him and the city.
2. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
(a) Read the first half of them before reading the work itself.
(b) Pass over them and begin reading the work itself.
(c) Read them before reading the work itself.
(d) Do not read the work itself.
3. Which one of the following was Cyrus's brother?
4. What is the major issue of the second chapter?
5. What is significant about Alcibiades?
(a) He is the only name in the book that people educated in philosophy would recognize.
(b) He is the only name in the book that people educated in philosophy would not recognize.
(c) He is the last name mentioned in Chapter 1.
(d) He is the first name mentioned in Chapter 1.
6. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) Her son-in-law.
(b) An enemy from another city.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A rival politician.
7. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
8. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
(a) Through several battles.
(b) Through a system.
(c) They did not agree on the plot.
(d) They followed the orders of their leader.
9. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
10. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
(a) An assistant.
(b) An enemy informant.
(c) A politician.
(d) A military leader.
11. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
(a) Neither the infantry nor the cavalry.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The infantry and the cavalry.
(d) The cavalry.
12. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(b) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
(c) As straight history instead of a memoir.
(d) As both a memoir and straight history.
13. How was Thibron's exile first considered?
14. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were undisciplined.
(b) They were not aggressive enough.
(c) They were over-disciplined.
(d) They were too aggressive.
15. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
(a) Twenty to forty.
(b) Ten to thirty.
(c) Forty to fifty.
(d) Five to ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which well-known philosopher was Xenophon a contemporary of?
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
3. Which war is ending at the beginning of the fourth section?
4. What type of allies did Mania have?
5. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)