|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
(a) To get supplies.
(b) To get money.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) To get money and supplies.
2. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
3. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
(a) Do not read the work itself.
(b) Read them before reading the work itself.
(c) Read the first half of them before reading the work itself.
(d) Pass over them and begin reading the work itself.
4. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
(a) He was the worst leader in the military.
(b) He was not the best leader, but was able to lead effectively.
(c) He was not the best leader, and was unable to lead effectively.
(d) He was the best leader in the military.
5. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
(a) They were paid moderately.
(b) They were paid very little.
(c) They were unpaid.
(d) They were paid abundantly.
6. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
(a) The translator, the editor, and the writer of the introduction.
(b) The translator and the editor.
(c) The translator and the writer of the introduction.
(d) The writer of the introduction and the editor.
7. What city did Xenophon represent in the military?
8. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
(a) Stories and amounts.
(b) Stories, amounts, and solutions.
(c) Stories and solutions.
(d) Amounts and solutions.
9. How were the ships made available to Cyrus by a Spartan?
(a) Over a two month period.
(c) Over a two week period.
(d) One at a time.
10. Which war is ending at the beginning of the fourth section?
(a) The Persian War.
(b) The Athenian civil war.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) The Peloponnesian War.
11. What type of ruler is Mania described as?
(a) Neither sincere nor effective.
(b) Effective, but not sincere.
(c) Sincere and effective.
(d) Sincere, but ineffective.
12. What did the sailors do when they were not at war?
(a) They found work in the area.
(b) They found work with another military.
(c) It is not known.
(d) They took a vacation.
13. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
(a) It is long, but features several smaller segments.
(b) It is brief.
(c) It is long.
(d) It is an average length.
14. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
15. Where did the politician give a speech in the story about the reeds?
(a) At only two ships.
(b) At only one ship.
(c) At every other ship.
(d) At every ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
2. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
3. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
4. According to the editor, who will be delighted by the bibliography in the book?
5. Where did Cyrus battle his brother?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)