|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were trophies often made out of?
(a) The enemy's spears.
(d) The enemy's shields.
2. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
(a) A fish.
(b) Symptoms of mental illness.
(c) A war ship.
(d) Characteristics of good fortune.
3. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Once every other battle.
(b) After every battle.
(c) Only when time allowed.
(d) After most battles.
4. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were undisciplined.
(b) They were not aggressive enough.
(c) They were too aggressive.
(d) They were over-disciplined.
5. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
(a) His own men.
(b) The enemy.
(c) Another city's army.
(d) Island natives.
6. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
(a) One week's wages.
(b) One month's wages.
(c) Two month's wages.
(d) Two week's wages.
7. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(b) As both a memoir and straight history.
(c) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
(d) As straight history instead of a memoir.
8. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Seventy five.
(d) Twenty five.
9. Where was Alcibiades from?
10. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
(a) They only received half of it.
(b) They received most of it, but not all of it.
(c) They did not receive it.
(d) They only received a small portion of it.
11. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Ignoring his mentor.
(b) Agreeing with his mentor.
(c) Embarrassing his mentor.
(d) Arguing with his mentor.
12. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
13. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military language.
(b) Military uniforms.
(c) Military procedures.
(d) Military battles.
14. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
(a) Political affiliations.
(b) Marital status.
15. How did the politician first approach the reeds dilemma in the story?
(a) He confronted both the soldiers and military leaders.
(b) He avoided confronting anyone.
(c) He only confronted the military leaders.
(d) He only confronted the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Xenophon begin his story?
2. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
3. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
4. According to the editor, who will be delighted by the bibliography in the book?
5. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)