|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
2. What did the sailors do when they were not at war?
(a) They took a vacation.
(b) It is not known.
(c) They found work in the area.
(d) They found work with another military.
3. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
(a) The cavalry.
(b) The infantry and the cavalry.
(c) The infantry.
(d) Neither the infantry nor the cavalry.
4. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
(a) Almost an entire fleet.
(b) Two ships.
(c) Half of a fleet.
(d) An entire fleet.
5. What is the fewest amount of ships involved in the water and shoreline battles of Chapter 1?
(a) Ten to twenty.
(b) Five to ten.
(c) Twenty to twenty five.
(d) Twenty five to thirty five.
6. Which one of the following is not included in the list of places where the most intense fighting occurs?
7. How were a majority of people in the military compensated in the classical era?
(a) They were paid abundantly.
(b) They were paid very little.
(c) They were unpaid.
(d) They were paid moderately.
8. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
(a) One month out of the year.
(b) Not even one month out of the year.
(c) Half of the year.
(d) Most of the year.
9. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Embarrassing his mentor.
(b) Ignoring his mentor.
(c) Arguing with his mentor.
(d) Agreeing with his mentor.
10. What held the men that Xenophon led in the military together?
(a) The loyalty they had for the city.
(b) The loyalty they had for him and the city.
(c) The loyalty that they had for each other.
(d) The loyalty they had for him and each other.
11. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military language.
(b) Military uniforms.
(c) Military procedures.
(d) Military battles.
12. Where did Cyrus battle his brother?
13. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
(a) Two week's wages.
(b) One week's wages.
(c) Two month's wages.
(d) One month's wages.
14. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
(a) Not accessible at all.
(b) Mostly accessible.
(c) Very accessible.
(d) Somewhat accessible.
15. How did the politician first approach the reeds dilemma in the story?
(a) He only confronted the soldiers.
(b) He confronted both the soldiers and military leaders.
(c) He avoided confronting anyone.
(d) He only confronted the military leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many politically sanctioned killings were there in the story told in Book 2, Chapter 2?
2. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
3. How did Mania become the satrap?
4. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
5. Which of the following was one of the ways to raise money for a military campaign in ancient Greece?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)