|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
2. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
(c) Field commander.
(d) Infantry guard.
3. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To bring them together.
(b) To make all new laws.
(c) To listen to them.
(d) To remain loyal to them.
4. Which one of the following does not describe Alcibiades as he is portrayed in the book?
5. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
6. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
(a) A fish.
(b) Symptoms of mental illness.
(c) Characteristics of good fortune.
(d) A war ship.
7. What years do the events of the book take place?
(a) 404 and 408 B.C.
(b) 406 and 409 B.C.
(c) 400 and 402 B.C.
(d) 405 and 407 B.C.
8. What is found in the back of the book to help people understand military maneuvers better?
9. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Embarrassing his mentor.
(b) Ignoring his mentor.
(c) Arguing with his mentor.
(d) Agreeing with his mentor.
10. How long has the war been waging when the second chapter begins?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty five years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Thirty five years.
11. When were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) After the battles, when the winning army returned to their city.
(b) Before the battles.
(c) Both before and after the battles.
(d) As needed, on the battlefields.
12. What aspect of fund raising does Xenophon choose to focus on in the second chapter?
(a) Stories, amounts, and solutions.
(b) Stories and amounts.
(c) Stories and solutions.
(d) Amounts and solutions.
13. How many men was Xenophon in charge of during his service in the military?
(a) Ten thousand.
(b) Twenty thousand.
(c) Five thousand.
(d) Fifteen thousand.
14. How many politically sanctioned killings were there in the story told in Book 2, Chapter 2?
(b) More than ten.
(c) At least one.
(d) More than fifteen.
15. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) An enemy from another city.
(b) Her son-in-law.
(c) A rival politician.
(d) Her cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
2. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
3. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
4. Which one of the following was Cyrus's brother?
5. Which of the following was one of the ways to raise money for a military campaign in ancient Greece?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)