|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in the back of the book to help people understand military maneuvers better?
2. What promise did Mania make to her allies?
(a) To remain loyal to them.
(b) To bring them together.
(c) To listen to them.
(d) To make all new laws.
3. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Embarrassing his mentor.
(b) Ignoring his mentor.
(c) Arguing with his mentor.
(d) Agreeing with his mentor.
4. Where were sailors able to live fairly well?
5. What was the incentive for women to serve in the ancient Greek military?
(a) They were paid before and after the battles they participate in.
(b) They were eligible to rule a city after participating in battle.
(c) They were given the power to make laws.
(d) They were granted the rights of citizenship.
6. Which season was hard for the sailors?
7. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
(a) Read them before reading the work itself.
(b) Read the first half of them before reading the work itself.
(c) Pass over them and begin reading the work itself.
(d) Do not read the work itself.
8. What would cause the soldiers to abandon their original plot for raising money in the story told in the book?
(a) An improvement of their situation.
(b) A letter from Xenophon.
(c) A letter from Alcibiades.
(d) A decline in their situation.
9. Where is the bibliography located in "A History of My Times"?
(a) Before the main text.
(b) Throughout the main text.
(c) On the back cover.
(d) After the main text.
10. What does George Cawkwell contribute to "A History of My Times"?
(a) He is the translator.
(b) He is the editor.
(c) He is the editor and writes the introduction.
(d) He writes the introduction.
11. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
(a) Five to ten.
(b) Forty to fifty.
(c) Twenty to forty.
(d) Ten to thirty.
12. How does Betty Radice suggest to readers that Xenophon's work should be read?
(a) As a memoir instead of straight history.
(b) As both a memoir and straight history.
(c) As straight history instead of a memoir.
(d) As neither a memoir nor straight history.
13. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
(a) He allowed his friends to escape.
(b) He allowed his friends' town to be plundered.
(c) He disobeyed direct orders.
(d) He was caught helping the enemy.
14. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
(a) The writer of the introduction and the editor.
(b) The translator and the writer of the introduction.
(c) The translator and the editor.
(d) The translator, the editor, and the writer of the introduction.
15. Who was responsible for the death of Mania?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) An enemy from another city.
(c) A rival politician.
(d) Her son-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the largest number of ships discussed in the battles of the first chapter?
2. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
3. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
4. Who was Alcibiades' mentor?
5. What city did Xenophon represent in the military?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)