|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
(a) Trophies were given in all circumstances.
(b) Most of the circumstances must be right.
(c) A few of the circumstances must be right.
(d) All of the circumstances must be right.
2. Which season was hard for the sailors?
3. What is the advice given by the editor to those people that do not appreciate the notes at the end of the Introduction?
(a) Read them before reading the work itself.
(b) Read the first half of them before reading the work itself.
(c) Do not read the work itself.
(d) Pass over them and begin reading the work itself.
4. Which of the following was one of the ways to raise money for a military campaign in ancient Greece?
(a) To borrow from a town.
(b) To sell parts from ships.
(c) To plunder a town.
(d) To sell weapons.
5. What event did Mania join her mercenaries for?
(a) Appointing a new commander.
(b) Battering down an enemy's walls.
(c) Planning strategies for the next attack.
(d) Giving out trophies after a victory.
6. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
(a) To provide an incentive for armies.
(b) Neither to observe certain victories nor to provide an incentive for armies.
(c) To observe certain victories and provide an incentive for armies.
(d) To observe certain victories.
7. What happened to the reeds in the story?
(a) They multiplied.
(b) They disappeared.
(c) They were given to the soldiers.
(d) They were cut in half.
8. What happened to the money that the sailors were promised?
(a) They did not receive it.
(b) They only received a small portion of it.
(c) They received most of it, but not all of it.
(d) They only received half of it.
9. What were some of the complaints about the men that Xenophon led in the military?
(a) They were too aggressive.
(b) They were not aggressive enough.
(c) They were undisciplined.
(d) They were over-disciplined.
10. What type of literature is Betty Radice known for?
11. What is found in the back of the book to help people understand military maneuvers better?
12. What audience is the book, "A History of My Times", trying to reach?
(a) A non-academic audience.
(b) The book was only written as a personal memoir.
(c) An academic audience.
(d) Every audience.
13. Where is the bibliography located in "A History of My Times"?
(a) After the main text.
(b) On the back cover.
(c) Throughout the main text.
(d) Before the main text.
14. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
15. Which of the following are distinct from the author in "A History of My Times"?
(a) The translator, the editor, and the writer of the introduction.
(b) The translator and the editor.
(c) The writer of the introduction and the editor.
(d) The translator and the writer of the introduction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Alcibiades?
2. What were trophies often made out of?
3. When were trophies made in ancient Greece?
4. How can the bibliography be described in "A History of My Times"?
5. How many ships were made available to Cyrus by his Spartan ally?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)