|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the largest number of ships discussed in the battles of the first chapter?
(a) One hundred.
2. What was the purpose of the trophies that were made?
(a) To observe certain victories and provide an incentive for armies.
(b) To observe certain victories.
(c) To provide an incentive for armies.
(d) Neither to observe certain victories nor to provide an incentive for armies.
3. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
(a) He was caught helping the enemy.
(b) He disobeyed direct orders.
(c) He allowed his friends' town to be plundered.
(d) He allowed his friends to escape.
4. Mania shares her name with a Greek mythological personification. What has been named after this personification?
(a) A war ship.
(b) Symptoms of mental illness.
(c) A fish.
(d) Characteristics of good fortune.
5. Approximately how many pages of text does each chapter cover in "A History of My Times"?
(a) Seventy five.
(b) One hundred.
(d) Twenty five.
6. What were trophies often made out of?
(b) The enemy's shields.
(d) The enemy's spears.
7. What type of literature is Betty Radice known for?
8. How accessible is Xenophon's writing style for current readers?
(a) Very accessible.
(b) Not accessible at all.
(c) Somewhat accessible.
(d) Mostly accessible.
9. In Book 2, Chapter 2, how long is the story about a specific plan to raise money in the book?
(a) It is brief.
(b) It is an average length.
(c) It is long.
(d) It is long, but features several smaller segments.
10. What are the main events of the first chapter focused on?
(a) Military uniforms.
(b) Military battles.
(c) Military language.
(d) Military procedures.
11. How did the soldiers express agreement on the plot to raise money?
(a) They followed the orders of their leader.
(b) They did not agree on the plot.
(c) Through several battles.
(d) Through a system.
12. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
(a) He was not the best leader, but was able to lead effectively.
(b) He was not the best leader, and was unable to lead effectively.
(c) He was the worst leader in the military.
(d) He was the best leader in the military.
13. How often were trophies made in ancient Greece?
(a) Only when time allowed.
(b) After every battle.
(c) After most battles.
(d) Once every other battle.
14. What did Alcibiades enjoy?
(a) Agreeing with his mentor.
(b) Ignoring his mentor.
(c) Embarrassing his mentor.
(d) Arguing with his mentor.
15. Where is the bibliography located in "A History of My Times"?
(a) After the main text.
(b) Before the main text.
(c) On the back cover.
(d) Throughout the main text.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major issue of the second chapter?
2. Why did Xenophon lead his men to serve in multiple-city states in the military?
3. Where was Alcibiades from?
4. Which well-known philosopher was Xenophon a contemporary of?
5. In what division of the military did Xenophon serve?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)