|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the local politician observe in the story told in Chapter 2?
(a) A large number of big reeds.
(b) A small number of little reeds.
(c) A small number of big reeds.
(d) A large number of little reeds.
2. How many ships did Alcibiades lead?
(a) Forty to fifty.
(b) Twenty to forty.
(c) Five to ten.
(d) Ten to thirty.
3. Who was Cinadon meeting when he is arrested?
(a) A military leader.
(b) A politician.
(c) An enemy informant.
(d) An assistant.
4. What effect did the circumstances of a particular battle have on the awarding of trophies?
(a) A few of the circumstances must be right.
(b) All of the circumstances must be right.
(c) Trophies were given in all circumstances.
(d) Most of the circumstances must be right.
5. What is the main subject of the stories included in the "book of the book"?
6. What was the reason for Thibron's exile?
(a) He allowed his friends to escape.
(b) He disobeyed direct orders.
(c) He allowed his friends' town to be plundered.
(d) He was caught helping the enemy.
7. What city did Xenophon represent in the military?
8. Which one of the following is not included in the list of places where the most intense fighting occurs?
9. Whom did Thibron enlist to help him with the actions that eventually caused his exile?
(a) His own men.
(b) Island natives.
(c) The enemy.
(d) Another city's army.
10. What is each one of the chapters in the second book devoted to?
(a) The description of a different war ship.
(b) The description of a different battle.
(c) The description of a different city.
(d) The description of a different military leader.
11. What was Thibron's position in the Spartan military?
(c) Field commander.
(d) Infantry guard.
12. How did Xenophon begin his story?
(a) Slightly different from the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(b) Similar to the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
(c) Similar to the way contemporary fiction writers begin.
(d) Slightly different from the way contemporary non-fiction writers begin.
13. What factor was heavily considered when choosing the ranks of military officers in ancient times?
(a) Marital status.
(d) Political affiliations.
14. How much did the men get from the politician at the end of the story in Chapter 2?
(a) Two month's wages.
(b) One week's wages.
(c) Two week's wages.
(d) One month's wages.
15. Which political leadership worked on the efforts to befriend the Spartans?
(a) The Dorians.
(b) The Pericles.
(c) The assembly.
(d) The ephors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the description of the ancient forms of military ranking in the book?
2. Which season was hard for the sailors?
3. How long were the sailors able to live fairly well?
4. Which Spartan helped Cyrus by providing him with ships?
5. How was Xenophon regarded as a military leader?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)