|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Armstrong notice is happening to the churches in Europe?
2. The Kabbalists still struggled with the problem of ____________.
3. In 1492, what happened when 150,000 Jews refused baptism?
4. What is a spiritual longing for the redemption of Israel as foretold by the ancient prophets?
5. Armstrong asserts that the type of God who ____________ is obviously not pertinent nor desirable in modern society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Armstrong asks the question of whether God has a future.
Part 1) What is Armstrong's survey of our world today? How does she validate her points?
Part 2) What does Armstrong believe mankind should do regarding their beliefs about God? Why?
Part 3) What strong movements does Armstrong see in each religion? How does she feel about these movements? Why does she feel this way? How do you feel about these movements? How do you see them affecting mankind?
Essay Topic 2
Armstrong describes the practices of early Christians.
Part 1) What does she say about their early practices? What proof of this does she give?
Part 2) Why might the early Christians practice their faith in this way?
Part 3) How did St. Paul change early Christianity? What are the consequences of this? Why did some Christians not follow Paul? What might this say about Paul and Christianity as we know it?
Essay Topic 3
Various movements and sects emerged during the first two centuries of Christianity.
Part 1) What are these various movements and sects? How did they come to be? What happened to these sects over time? Why did this occur?
Part 2) Why were educated non-Christians drawn to the religion? What does this say about the early Christians and the culture at the time?
Part 3) Are many non-Christians drawn to the church today? If so, why? If not, why not?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)