|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author think might have a special ability for the miracle of love?
(a) One's children.
(b) The woman.
(c) One's minister.
(d) The man.
2. What does the author think might have influenced his faith in God?
3. What is the author's idea about reunion with the dead?
(a) An extrapolation.
(b) A source of frustration.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) A verifiable reality.
4. To what length would the author have gone if it could have cured H.'s cancer?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Died in her place.
(c) Never seen her again.
(d) Turned his back on God.
5. How many hours of healthy sleep did the author finally get in Chapter Three?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 8 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did the author's experience of H. have on him?
2. According to the author, what kind of faith cannot survive a serious challenge such as death?
3. Why could the author's records not achieve his intended purpose?
4. With what same quality does the author think his love for H. shared?
5. In the third chapter, what does the author decide is happening to his wife in the next life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lewis think that H.'s physical anguish might not have ended when she died? What images does Lewis use when reflecting on what happens to H. after she died?
2. What does Lewis mean when he writes about a house of cards?
3. What choices does Lewis think that people have when it comes to their ideas about God?
4. For Lewis, why is a good God as formidable as God, the Cosmic Sadist? Describe the differences between the two ideas.
5. What does Lewis mean when he writes that he can believe that God is a vet? Conversely, how is it difficult for Lewis to think of God as a vet?
6. What does Lewis want when it comes to reality vs. ideas about reality?
7. What does Lewis reflect can withstand suffering better, the body or the mind? Briefly explain.
8. What signs are there that Lewis is beginning to come out of his depression?
9. What are Lewis's reflections about images in the fourth chapter?
10. In Chapter Three, what does Lewis come to see about his love for H. and his faith in God?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)