|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Inspector Lynley unexpectedly meet when he goes to the graveyard at St. Catherine's Church to take a walk?
2. When Inspector Lynley visits Ezra Farmington in Chapter 13, who is the subject of the drawings and sketches scattered across Farmington's living room?
3. In Chapter 13, how long has Tessa Mowery been separated from her two oldest daughters?
4. Why doesn't Father Hart tell the police about William Teys' abuse of his daughters when he first learns of it?
5. What does Father Hart credit the saint buried at St. Catherine's Church with saving in the Keldale community?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul Odell kill himself, and how does his loss affect his sister and his widow?
2. What happens when Deborah Allancourt-St. James and Inspector Lynley meet in the graveyard in Chapter 10?
3. With whom is Gillian Teys reunited at the end of the novel and who brings about the reunion?
4. Who is Jonah Clarence and what is ironic about his profession?
5. About what does Nigel Parrish claim to be quarreling with Ezra Farmington in Chapter 9, and why are the two men really in conflict?
6. Where has Inspector Lynley seen a photo of Russell Mowery, and what is Mowery's fate at the end of the book?
7. Why is Sergeant Havers so happy when Inspector Lynley sends her to London after Gillian Teys by herself?
8. Where does Gillian get her alias Nell Graham and what relevance does the fictional Helen Graham have to Gillian?
9. Why does Jonah Clarence lie to Sergeant Havers about being with Nell at the time of William Teys' murder?
10. Whose child does the baby that died at Keldale Abbey three years earlier turn out to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subplots in "A Great Deliverance". Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)