|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roberta hope to save from her father's abuse by killing her father?
2. Whose photograph does Inspector Lynley ask Sergeant Barbara Havers to take around town to see if the person was in town at the time of William Teys' murder?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Burton-Thomas's appearance at dinner in Chapter 9?
4. What does Deborah Allancourt-St. James feel guilty about doing to Inspector Lynley?
5. What does the blood spatter found on Roberta Teys' clothing indicate about the murder of William Teys?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Inspector Lynley confront Father Hart in Chapter 16, and how does the priest respond during the confrontation?
2. As the book draws to a close, who is revealed as the murderer of William Teys, and what is the motivation for Teys' death?
3. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
4. With whom is Gillian Teys reunited at the end of the novel and who brings about the reunion?
5. About what does Nigel Parrish claim to be quarreling with Ezra Farmington in Chapter 9, and why are the two men really in conflict?
6. What descriptions do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers receive from the villagers about Gillian Teys and are this descriptions consistent?
7. In Chapter 13, why does Sergeant Barbara Havers think Roberta Teys went to Keldale Hall to read the newspaper?
8. Of what trauma in Sergeant Barbara Havers' own family life do the revelations about Gillian and Roberta's suffering at the hands of their father arouse memories?
9. What secret does Richard Gibson reveal in Cha,pter 10 about his relationship with his cousin Gillian?
10. What role does Lady Helen Clyde play in reuniting Gillian and Roberta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of characters in "A Great Deliverance" have secrets. Discuss the novel's motif of secrets. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legend of the crying baby at Keldale Abbey from the time of Cromwell's raiders through the present. How does the legend help the cover up of the murder of Roberta Teys' infant? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
"A Great Deliverance" is set in a contemporary village in Yorkshire, England. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Elizabeth Peters had set the novel in the United States during the 1930's instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)