|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't anyone realize Roberta is pregnant before she gives birth?
2. With whom is Gillian reunited at the end of the novel?
3. What does Deborah Allancourt-St. James feel guilty about doing to Inspector Lynley?
4. At what age does Gillian leave home?
5. With which friend of Inspector Lynley's was Lady Helen Clyde once in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gillian get her alias Nell Graham and what relevance does the fictional Helen Graham have to Gillian?
2. What secret does Richard Gibson reveal in Cha,pter 10 about his relationship with his cousin Gillian?
3. What does the story Bridie Odell tells Inspector Lynley in Chapter 10 about William Teys spending so much time with her indicate?
4. What descriptions do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers receive from the villagers about Gillian Teys and are this descriptions consistent?
5. What is Testament House and what tie does Gillian Teys have to the institution?
6. How does Gillian/Nell behave when Sergeant Barbara Havers comes to her home?
7. With whom is Gillian Teys reunited at the end of the novel and who brings about the reunion?
8. What behavior of Inspector Lynley's angers Sergeant Havers in Chapter 12?
9. What does Deborah Allancourt-St. James' father do for a living and how does his profession match the image Sergeant Barbara Havers has of Inspector Lynley?
10. Who is Jonah Clarence and what is ironic about his profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the antagonists that Inspector Lynley encounters in the novel: Richard Gibson, Roberta Teys, and Chief Inspector Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the law enforcement officers in "A Great Deliverance": Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Barbara Havers, Superintendent Webberly, and Chief Superintendent Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)