|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Inspector Lynley?
2. What do the toxicology reports indicate are in William Teys' blood at the time of his murder?
3. Which of the following is not a statement Father Hart uses to describe himself in the opening scene when imagining how the woman seated next to him perceives him?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard Gibson?
5. What has the London press dubbed the person responsible for the murders in the train stations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
2. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
3. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
4. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
5. What is the legend of the ghost of Keldale Abbey that dates back to the era of Cromwell?
6. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
7. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
8. To whom has a shrine been built at Gembler Farm, and why is this shrine a red herring?
9. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
10. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any three of the following secondary characters in the novel: Lady Helen Clyde, Stepha Odell, Jimmy Havers, Ezra Farmington, Mrs. Burton-Thomas, Richard Gibson, and Nigel Parrish. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Inspector Lynley's relationships with Deborah Allcourt-St. James, Stepha Odell and Sergeant Barbara Havers. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)