|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Inspector Lynley?
2. Why is evidence of Gillian's existence destroyed by her father?
3. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
4. What does Jimmy Havers sneak over to Mr. Patel's convenience store to purchase?
5. What aristocratic title does Inspector Lynley hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
2. About what does Nigel Parrish claim to be quarreling with Ezra Farmington in Chapter 9, and why are the two men really in conflict?
3. What role does Lady Helen Clyde play in reuniting Gillian and Roberta?
4. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
5. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
6. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
7. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
8. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
9. What disagreement between police officers Nies and Kerridge results in Father Hart traveling to London?
10. What behavior of Inspector Lynley's angers Sergeant Havers in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the legend of the crying baby at Keldale Abbey from the time of Cromwell's raiders through the present. How does the legend help the cover up of the murder of Roberta Teys' infant? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subplots in "A Great Deliverance". Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Inspector Lynley's relationship with Simon Allcourt-St. James. What tensions does Lynley have about the relationship? How does the marriage of Simon Allcourt-St. James affect the relationship? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)