|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers surprised to find a well-stocked library at the Teys farm?
2. What is the beverage that Stepha Odell calls Odell's?
3. What aristocratic title does Inspector Lynley hold?
4. To whom is William Teys engaged at the time of his death?
5. When Bridie Odell cuts her hair, whose hairstyle is she trying to copy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
2. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
3. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
4. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
5. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
6. Why does Inspector Lynley feel guilty about the permanent crippling of his close friend Simon Allancourt-St. James?
7. How long has Russell Mowrey been missing and what is significance about the date on which he disappeared?
8. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
9. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
10. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subplots in "A Great Deliverance". Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not you think Roberta Reys is crazy and therefore killed her father by reason of insanity. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)