|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
2. Why has Inspector Lynley chosen to work at Scotland Yard rather than on his wealthy family's estate?
3. How old is Bridie Odell?
4. How is William Teys murdered?
5. What photographs hanging on the walls of Superintendent Webberly's office are studied by Inspector Lynley in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
2. What does Tessa Mowrey tell Inspector Lynley about her marriage to William Teys?
3. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
4. Why does Paul Odell kill himself, and how does his loss affect his sister and his widow?
5. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
6. What is Testament House and what tie does Gillian Teys have to the institution?
7. What role does Lady Helen Clyde play in reuniting Gillian and Roberta?
8. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
9. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
10. Whose child does the baby that died at Keldale Abbey three years earlier turn out to be?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legend of the crying baby at Keldale Abbey from the time of Cromwell's raiders through the present. How does the legend help the cover up of the murder of Roberta Teys' infant? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not you think Roberta Reys is crazy and therefore killed her father by reason of insanity. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)