|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legend does Danny tell Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James about Keldale Abbey?
2. What do Danny and Ezra Farmington find at Keldale Abbey three years prior to William Teys' murder?
3. From what disease does Sergeant Barbara Havers' mother suffer?
4. What is Jimmy Havers' relationship to Sergeant Barbara Havers?
5. How is William Teys murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
2. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
3. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
4. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
5. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
6. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
7. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
8. What disagreement between police officers Nies and Kerridge results in Father Hart traveling to London?
9. Why does Inspector Lynley feel guilty about the permanent crippling of his close friend Simon Allancourt-St. James?
10. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the law enforcement officers in "A Great Deliverance": Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Barbara Havers, Superintendent Webberly, and Chief Superintendent Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth George uses foreshadowing throughout her novel "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the book and discuss how foreshadowing is used to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not you think Roberta Reys is crazy and therefore killed her father by reason of insanity. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)