|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy Havers refuse to do, even though it would improve his health?
2. What do the letters CID stand for in the novel "A Great Deliverance"?
3. How old is Sergeant Barbara Havers?
4. What does Simon Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
5. What color is Inspector Lynley's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what relevance does the quote Lynley reads from the biblical story of Joseph about Joseph saving his brothers' lives by a great deliverance have to the Teys family?
2. How does Chief Superintendent Nies feel about Inspector Lynley, and what reason does Lynley give Sergeant Havers for Nies' dislike of him?
3. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
4. How long has Russell Mowrey been missing and what is significance about the date on which he disappeared?
5. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
6. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
7. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
8. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
9. How do Superintendent Malcolm Webberly's marriage and career compare to those of his supervisor, Sir David Hillier?
10. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth George uses foreshadowing throughout her novel "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the book and discuss how foreshadowing is used to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not you think Roberta Reys is crazy and therefore killed her father by reason of insanity. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)