|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Inspector Lynley's brother-in-law was murdered five years ago, who did Chief Inspector Nies arrest for the crime?
2. Who is Dr. Samuels?
3. What hangs on the wall of Stepha Odell's business?
4. What is the first name of Richard Gibson's wife?
5. As the book opens, how many murders have occurred around London train stations in the last five weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to Roberta and what implicates him as a suspect in the murder of William Teys?
2. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
3. Why does Father Hart believe Roberta Teys did not kill her father despite her confession that she did?
4. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
5. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
6. In Chapter 6, what relevance does the quote Lynley reads from the biblical story of Joseph about Joseph saving his brothers' lives by a great deliverance have to the Teys family?
7. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
8. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
9. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
10. To whom has a shrine been built at Gembler Farm, and why is this shrine a red herring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Great Deliverance" is set in a contemporary village in Yorkshire, England. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Elizabeth Peters had set the novel in the United States during the 1930's instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three themes in this novel. What is the author saying through each theme and how she depicts them? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)