|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is William Teys murdered?
2. Why is evidence of Gillian's existence destroyed by her father?
3. What does Ezra Farmington do for a living?
4. What hangs on the wall of Stepha Odell's business?
5. Where does Inspector Lynley think he has seen Russell Mowrey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
2. Why does Inspector Lynley feel guilty about the permanent crippling of his close friend Simon Allancourt-St. James?
3. Why are Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers surprised to find a library filled with books at Gembler Farm?
4. What does Tessa Mowrey tell Inspector Lynley about her marriage to William Teys?
5. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
6. How long has Russell Mowrey been missing and what is significance about the date on which he disappeared?
7. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
8. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
9. How do Superintendent Malcolm Webberly's marriage and career compare to those of his supervisor, Sir David Hillier?
10. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of humor in "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Elizabeth George uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think she is trying to achieve through her use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Inspector Lynley's relationships with Deborah Allcourt-St. James, Stepha Odell and Sergeant Barbara Havers. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)