|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the photos Inspector Lynley finds in the Teys family photo album?
2. At what train station does Father Hart disembark?
3. What rumors has Sergeant Barbara Havers heard about Inspector Lynley at Scotland Yard?
4. What does Jimmy Havers sneak over to Mr. Patel's convenience store to purchase?
5. What evidence is lacking at the scene of William Teys' murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
2. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
3. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
4. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
5. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
6. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
7. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
8. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
9. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
10. What does Tessa Mowrey tell Inspector Lynley about her marriage to William Teys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of humor in "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Elizabeth George uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think she is trying to achieve through her use of humor.
Essay Topic 3
Inspector Tommy Lynley is the protagonist of the novel. He's also the 8th Earl of Asherton. Discuss the character of Lynley and his role as protagonist. What are his character strengths and flaws? How do these strengths and flaws help and hinder him during the story? How do you think his aristocratic background affects his ability to solve the novel's mysteries? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)