|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city is Father Hart traveling by train in the novel's opening scene?
2. Who owns Keldale Hall?
3. With whom does Stepha Odell suspect that Roberta has been in love?
4. What is Jimmy Havers' relationship to Sergeant Barbara Havers?
5. Why has Sergeant Barbara Havers been demoted from CID and put back into uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
2. How does Chief Superintendent Nies feel about Inspector Lynley, and what reason does Lynley give Sergeant Havers for Nies' dislike of him?
3. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to Roberta and what implicates him as a suspect in the murder of William Teys?
4. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
5. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
6. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
7. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
8. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
9. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
10. To whom has a shrine been built at Gembler Farm, and why is this shrine a red herring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the legend of the crying baby at Keldale Abbey from the time of Cromwell's raiders through the present. How does the legend help the cover up of the murder of Roberta Teys' infant? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three themes in this novel. What is the author saying through each theme and how she depicts them? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the law enforcement officers in "A Great Deliverance": Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Barbara Havers, Superintendent Webberly, and Chief Superintendent Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)