|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy Havers sneak over to Mr. Patel's convenience store to purchase?
2. In what part of London does Sergeant Barbara Havers live?
3. Where do Simon Allcourt-St. James and his new bride stay during their honeymoon?
4. What is Danny's relationship to Ezra Farmington?
5. What is the relationship between Simon Allcourt-St. James and Inspector Lynley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
2. Why does Father Hart believe Roberta Teys did not kill her father despite her confession that she did?
3. How does Chief Superintendent Nies feel about Inspector Lynley, and what reason does Lynley give Sergeant Havers for Nies' dislike of him?
4. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' opinion of Inspector Thomas "Tommy" Lynley?
5. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
6. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
7. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
8. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
9. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
10. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Inspector Lynley's relationship with Simon Allcourt-St. James. What tensions does Lynley have about the relationship? How does the marriage of Simon Allcourt-St. James affect the relationship? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Father Hart and Jonah Clarence and their response to the trauma in the Teys family. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
A number of red herrings appear in "A Great Deliverance". Discuss at least three examples of red herrings from the novel.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)