|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gillian's relationship to Roberta Teys?
2. Where does Roberta Teys go every day to read the local paper?
3. Where do Simon Allcourt-St. James and his new bride stay during their honeymoon?
4. What is the beverage that Stepha Odell calls Odell's?
5. What is Father Hart's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
2. Why are Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers surprised to find a library filled with books at Gembler Farm?
3. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
4. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to Roberta and what implicates him as a suspect in the murder of William Teys?
5. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
6. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
7. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
8. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
9. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
10. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Inspector Lynley's relationship with Simon Allcourt-St. James. What tensions does Lynley have about the relationship? How does the marriage of Simon Allcourt-St. James affect the relationship? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast any three of the following secondary characters in the novel: Lady Helen Clyde, Stepha Odell, Jimmy Havers, Ezra Farmington, Mrs. Burton-Thomas, Richard Gibson, and Nigel Parrish. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
A number of characters in "A Great Deliverance" have secrets. Discuss the novel's motif of secrets. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)