|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of Sergeant Barbara Havers has died of leukemia?
2. What legend does Danny tell Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James about Keldale Abbey?
3. What color hair does Stepha Odell have?
4. Why has Inspector Lynley chosen to work at Scotland Yard rather than on his wealthy family's estate?
5. With whom does Stepha Odell suspect that Roberta has been in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Burton-Thomas dress for dinner in Chapter 9?
2. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
3. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
4. In Chapter 13, why does Sergeant Barbara Havers think Roberta Teys went to Keldale Hall to read the newspaper?
5. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
6. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
7. About what does Nigel Parrish claim to be quarreling with Ezra Farmington in Chapter 9, and why are the two men really in conflict?
8. What does Tessa Mowrey tell Inspector Lynley about her marriage to William Teys?
9. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' opinion of Inspector Thomas "Tommy" Lynley?
10. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sergeant Barbara Havers and Inspector Lynley. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Father Hart and Jonah Clarence and their response to the trauma in the Teys family. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Inspector Lynley's relationship with Simon Allcourt-St. James. What tensions does Lynley have about the relationship? How does the marriage of Simon Allcourt-St. James affect the relationship? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)