Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dougal?
2. At what train station does Father Hart disembark?
3. Who is Nigel Parrish?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard Gibson?
5. Why does Sergeant Barbara Havers think she has been chosen to work with Lynley on the investigation of the murder of William Teys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Lady Helen Clyde play in reuniting Gillian and Roberta?
2. What behavior of Inspector Lynley's angers Sergeant Havers in Chapter 12?
3. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
4. Of what trauma in Sergeant Barbara Havers' own family life do the revelations about Gillian and Roberta's suffering at the hands of their father arouse memories?
5. Where has Inspector Lynley seen a photo of Russell Mowery, and what is Mowery's fate at the end of the book?
6. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
7. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
8. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
9. Why does Inspector Lynley feel guilty about the permanent crippling of his close friend Simon Allancourt-St. James?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 10, who does Superintendent Nies believe is responsible for William Teys' murder and how cooperative does he intend to be with Inspector Lynley's investigation of the case?
Discuss the concept of religion in the novel. Are the religious characters in the story heroes or villains? What do you think the author is trying to say about religion in society through this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
A number of characters in "A Great Deliverance" have secrets. Discuss the novel's motif of secrets. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
Compare and contrast the law enforcement officers in "A Great Deliverance": Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Barbara Havers, Superintendent Webberly, and Chief Superintendent Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)