|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 5, to where does Stepha Odell inform Inspector Lynley that Roberta Teys has been sent?
2. What evidence is lacking at the scene of William Teys' murder?
3. When Sergeant Barbara Havers removes a photo in Roberta's room from its frame and unfolds it, what does she find on the unfolded edge of the photo?
4. In what part of England has William Teys been murdered?
5. What is Danny's relationship to Ezra Farmington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
2. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
3. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
4. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
5. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
6. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
7. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
8. What is the legend of the ghost of Keldale Abbey that dates back to the era of Cromwell?
9. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
10. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of humor in "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of humor from the novel and discuss both the techniques Elizabeth George uses to convey humor in the novel and what you think she is trying to achieve through her use of humor.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Inspector Lynley's relationships with Deborah Allcourt-St. James, Stepha Odell and Sergeant Barbara Havers. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)