|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business does Stepha Odell own and operate?
2. What does Jimmy Havers refuse to do, even though it would improve his health?
3. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
4. What color hair does Stepha Odell have?
5. What does Ezra Farmington do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Havers think Superintendent Webberly assigns her to work with Inspector Lynley on the investigation of William Teys' murder?
2. How long has Russell Mowrey been missing and what is significance about the date on which he disappeared?
3. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
4. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
5. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
6. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
7. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
8. What is the legend of the ghost of Keldale Abbey that dates back to the era of Cromwell?
9. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
10. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subplots in "A Great Deliverance". Explain how each subplot relates to the main plot. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sergeant Barbara Havers and Inspector Lynley. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three themes in this novel. What is the author saying through each theme and how she depicts them? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)