|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gillian's relationship to Roberta Teys?
2. What does Deborah Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
3. Why is evidence of Gillian's existence destroyed by her father?
4. What does Ezra Farmington do for a living?
5. What evidence is lacking at the scene of William Teys' murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
2. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
3. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
4. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
5. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' opinion of Inspector Thomas "Tommy" Lynley?
6. How do Superintendent Malcolm Webberly's marriage and career compare to those of his supervisor, Sir David Hillier?
7. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
8. What disagreement between police officers Nies and Kerridge results in Father Hart traveling to London?
9. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
10. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Teys women: Roberta, Gillian, and Tessa. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Inspector Tommy Lynley is the protagonist of the novel. He's also the 8th Earl of Asherton. Discuss the character of Lynley and his role as protagonist. What are his character strengths and flaws? How do these strengths and flaws help and hinder him during the story? How do you think his aristocratic background affects his ability to solve the novel's mysteries? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not you think Roberta Reys is crazy and therefore killed her father by reason of insanity. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)