|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aristocratic title does Inspector Lynley hold?
2. Where do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers encounter Denton in Chapter 5?
3. What legend does Danny tell Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James about Keldale Abbey?
4. How old is Bridie Odell?
5. Who is Dr. Samuels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience has Danny, the maid at Keldale Hall, had with a crying baby at Keldate Abbey?
2. In Chapter 6, what relevance does the quote Lynley reads from the biblical story of Joseph about Joseph saving his brothers' lives by a great deliverance have to the Teys family?
3. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
4. Who are Olivia and Bridie Odell and what is their relationship to William Teys?
5. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
6. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
7. What disagreement between police officers Nies and Kerridge results in Father Hart traveling to London?
8. What is the legend of the ghost of Keldale Abbey that dates back to the era of Cromwell?
9. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
10. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inspector Tommy Lynley is the protagonist of the novel. He's also the 8th Earl of Asherton. Discuss the character of Lynley and his role as protagonist. What are his character strengths and flaws? How do these strengths and flaws help and hinder him during the story? How do you think his aristocratic background affects his ability to solve the novel's mysteries? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Father Hart and Jonah Clarence and their response to the trauma in the Teys family. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
A number of characters in "A Great Deliverance" have secrets. Discuss the novel's motif of secrets. Cite examples form the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)