|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy Havers refuse to do, even though it would improve his health?
2. What is Gillian's relationship to Roberta Teys?
3. What is Denton's relationship to Inspector Lynley?
4. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Inspector Lynley?
5. In what part of England has William Teys been murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
2. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to Roberta and what implicates him as a suspect in the murder of William Teys?
3. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
4. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
5. Who is in the mysterious photograph that Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find at Gembler Farm and why was this person cut out of the other Teys family photographs?
6. How do Superintendent Malcolm Webberly's marriage and career compare to those of his supervisor, Sir David Hillier?
7. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
8. Who is Nigel Parrish and with whom does he see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys is murdered?
9. Why is Sergeant Barbara Havers put "back in uniform" eight month before the Teys murder?
10. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of social class in the novel. How is the aristocracy portrayed? How is the middle class portrayed? How is the working class portrayed? What do you think the author is saying about English society in this novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the antagonists that Inspector Lynley encounters in the novel: Richard Gibson, Roberta Teys, and Chief Inspector Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sergeant Barbara Havers and Inspector Lynley. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)