|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of William Teys thought by Lynley and Havers to be dead is still alive according to Olivia Odell?
2. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
3. To whom is William Teys engaged at the time of his death?
4. As the book opens, how many murders have occurred around London train stations in the last five weeks?
5. Where do Simon Allcourt-St. James and his new bride stay during their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to Roberta and what implicates him as a suspect in the murder of William Teys?
2. Why does Stepha Odell think Roberta visited Keldale Lodge every day?
3. Why does Father Hart believe Roberta Teys did not kill her father despite her confession that she did?
4. In Chapter 6, what upsets Inspector Lynley about how Roberta Teys is being treated after confessing to her father's murder?
5. Who is Harry Houseman and what does he reveal to Inspector Lynley?
6. How does Chief Superintendent Nies feel about Inspector Lynley, and what reason does Lynley give Sergeant Havers for Nies' dislike of him?
7. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
8. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
9. What facts does Father Hart reveal in Chapter 3 about William Teys' murder?
10. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth George uses foreshadowing throughout her novel "A Great Deliverance". Give at least three examples of foreshadowing from the book and discuss how foreshadowing is used to indicate events to come later in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the law enforcement officers in "A Great Deliverance": Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Barbara Havers, Superintendent Webberly, and Chief Superintendent Nies. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Inspector Lynley's relationships with Deborah Allcourt-St. James, Stepha Odell and Sergeant Barbara Havers. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)