|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who brings Inspector Lynley a carton containing evidence from the William Teys murder?
(b) Ezra Farmington.
(c) Sir David Hillier.
(d) Superintendent Nies.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Burton-Thomas's appearance at dinner in Chapter 9?
(a) A gypsy blouse decorated with stars.
(b) A big tortoiseshell Spanish comb on top of her head.
(c) A mink stole.
(d) A moth-eaten skirt of indeterminate color.
3. From where does the name Nell Graham originate?
(a) A Bronte novel.
(b) A Broadway play.
(c) A pop song.
(d) A television program.
4. In Chapter 12, who does Inspector Lynley give Sergeant Barbara Havers three hours to find?
(b) Nigel Parrish.
(c) Tessa Teys.
(d) Russell Mowery.
5. How does Gillian wear her hair when Jonah Clarence first meets her?
(a) In a pony tail.
(b) In two long braids.
(c) In a chignon.
(d) Cut very short.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Barbara Havers not want to have dinner where Stepha Odell has booked her and Inspector Lynley in Chapter 9?
2. Why doesn't Ezra Farmington think he can paint any more?
3. At age eight, who does Roberta try to confide in about her father's abuse?
4. What does Father Hart credit the saint buried at St. Catherine's Church with saving in the Keldale community?
5. Which character in the novel stutters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
2. Of what trauma in Sergeant Barbara Havers' own family life do the revelations about Gillian and Roberta's suffering at the hands of their father arouse memories?
3. Why does Jonah Clarence lie to Sergeant Havers about being with Nell at the time of William Teys' murder?
4. What objections does Sergeant Barbara Havers have in Chapter 9 to dining at Keldale Hall?
5. What secret does Richard Gibson reveal in Cha,pter 10 about his relationship with his cousin Gillian?
6. What does the story Bridie Odell tells Inspector Lynley in Chapter 10 about William Teys spending so much time with her indicate?
7. With whom is Gillian Teys reunited at the end of the novel and who brings about the reunion?
8. What behavior of Inspector Lynley's angers Sergeant Havers in Chapter 12?
9. Where has Inspector Lynley seen a photo of Russell Mowery, and what is Mowery's fate at the end of the book?
10. Why does Paul Odell kill himself, and how does his loss affect his sister and his widow?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)