|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stepha Odell think Olivia Odell wanted to marry William Teys?
(a) To have a strong male role model like Paul for Birdie.
(b) To have a second chance at love.
(c) To get access to his money.
(d) To have a companion in her old age.
2. Who is Nell Graham?
(a) Stepha Odell.
(b) Roberta Teys.
(c) Lady Helen Clyde.
(d) Gillian Teys.
3. What disease does Stepha Odell carry in her genes and fear passing to any children she might have?
(a) Huntington's Disease.
(b) Cystic Fibrosis.
(d) Sickle Cell Anemia.
4. What is the name of the cottage in which Nigel Parrish lives?
(a) Queen's Cottage.
(b) Lavender Cottage.
(c) Rose Cottage.
(d) Smithfield Cottage.
5. How likely does Roberta's doctor think it is that Roberta will recover?
(a) He thinks she will recover only if she reunites with Tessa.
(b) He thinks she will eventually recover enough to stand trial.
(c) He thinks it is possible she will recover, but not guaranteed.
(d) He thinks she will never recover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buries the Teys family dog behind his cottage?
2. Why doesn't Father Hart tell the police about William Teys' abuse of his daughters when he first learns of it?
3. What is Jonah Clarence's profession?
4. With what does Roberta Teys line her chest of drawers?
5. Why doesn't Denton line Inspector Lynley's chest of drawers with newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Inspector Lynley confront Father Hart in Chapter 16, and how does the priest respond during the confrontation?
2. What role does Lady Helen Clyde play in reuniting Gillian and Roberta?
3. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
4. What does Deborah Allancourt-St. James' father do for a living and how does his profession match the image Sergeant Barbara Havers has of Inspector Lynley?
5. Where has Inspector Lynley seen a photo of Russell Mowery, and what is Mowery's fate at the end of the book?
6. About what does Nigel Parrish claim to be quarreling with Ezra Farmington in Chapter 9, and why are the two men really in conflict?
7. Why does Paul Odell kill himself, and how does his loss affect his sister and his widow?
8. What is Testament House and what tie does Gillian Teys have to the institution?
9. What descriptions do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers receive from the villagers about Gillian Teys and are this descriptions consistent?
10. What does the story Bridie Odell tells Inspector Lynley in Chapter 10 about William Teys spending so much time with her indicate?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)