|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Inspector Lynley have a brief romance in Chapter 12?
(a) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(b) Olivia Odell.
(c) Stepha Odell.
2. How does Father Hart describe Gillian?
(a) Gloom and doom.
(c) A spoiled and willful young woman.
(d) A depressed and depressing young woman.
3. With whom does Inspector Lynley find Stepha Odell at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Dr. Samuels.
(b) Superintendent Nies.
(c) Nigel Parrish.
(d) Richard Gibson.
4. What does Gillian put under Roberta's pillow before leaving Gembler Farm at age sixteen?
(a) Her favorite book of poems.
(c) A key.
(d) A locket that once belonged to their mother.
5. What is Jonah Clarence's relationship with Gillian?
(a) He's Gillian's neighbor and friend.
(b) He's Gillian's psychiatrist.
(c) He's Gillian's husband.
(d) He's Gillian's boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deborah Allancourt-St. James feel guilty about doing to Inspector Lynley?
2. What kind of work does Gillian do at Testament House?
3. Whose photograph does Inspector Lynley ask Sergeant Barbara Havers to take around town to see if the person was in town at the time of William Teys' murder?
4. What plants does Gillian keep in the front window of her home?
5. With what other Keldale villager does Stepha Odell say she and Paul attended college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marsha Fitzalan's relationship to Tessa Teys and her daughters Gillian and Roberta?
2. About what does Inspector Lynley confront Father Hart in Chapter 16, and how does the priest respond during the confrontation?
3. Who is Jonah Clarence and what is ironic about his profession?
4. Why does Paul Odell kill himself, and how does his loss affect his sister and his widow?
5. What behavior of Inspector Lynley's angers Sergeant Havers in Chapter 12?
6. Whose child does the baby that died at Keldale Abbey three years earlier turn out to be?
7. How does Mrs. Burton-Thomas dress for dinner in Chapter 9?
8. What happens when Deborah Allancourt-St. James and Inspector Lynley meet in the graveyard in Chapter 10?
9. Why does Jonah Clarence lie to Sergeant Havers about being with Nell at the time of William Teys' murder?
10. What forensic evidence is found in the blood of Whiskers, the Teys family dog, and how does this evidence relate to the murder of William Teys?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)