|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Simon Allcourt-St. James and his new bride stay during their honeymoon?
(a) Finley Abbey.
(b) The London Ritz Carlton.
(c) Keldale Hall.
(d) Keldale Lodge.
2. Who is the only person that Chief Inspector Nies says he and Chief Constable Kerridge can trust to give New Scotland Yard the facts about the murder of William Teys?
(a) Father Hart.
(b) Richard Gibson.
(c) Roberta Teys.
(d) Stepha Odell.
3. Who is Caroline?
(a) Olivia Odell's best friend.
(b) Lady Helen Clyde's maid and Denton's girlfriend.
(c) Inspector Lynley's secretary.
(d) Sopha Odell's maid.
4. When Sergeant Barbara Havers removes a photo in Roberta's room from its frame and unfolds it, what does she find on the unfolded edge of the photo?
(a) A map to a hidden treasure.
(b) The picture of a girl resembling Tessa Teys.
(c) A confession to the murder of William Teys.
(d) A love note to Stepha Odell from William Teys.
5. Who is Nigel Parrish?
(a) A local music teacher.
(b) A local banker.
(c) A local bartender.
(d) A local horse trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Samuels?
2. What food served at the Dove and Whistle pub reminds Sergeant Barbara Havers of her family's squalid home?
3. On what day of the week is William Teys murdered?
4. Why has Inspector Lynley chosen to work at Scotland Yard rather than on his wealthy family's estate?
5. Where do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers encounter Denton in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of figurative language does Elizabeth George use in the first two chapters of "A Great Deliverance", and what purpose does figurative language serve in the novel?
2. How do Hank and JoJo Watson differ from Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James?
3. What is Sergeant Barbara Havers' family like?
4. To whom has a shrine been built at Gembler Farm, and why is this shrine a red herring?
5. What happens when Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Havers' visit with Roberta Teys in Chapter 8, and how do these events alter Havers' opinion of Lynley?
6. From whose wedding does Sergeant Barbara Havers retrieve Inspector Lynley for a meeting with their superiors at Scotland Yard, and what evidence is there that there is tension between Lynley and the bride and groom?
7. In the book's opening scene, how does Father Hart imagine that the old woman sitting across from him on the train perceives him?
8. Who is Lady Helen Clyde?
9. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers look like?
10. Who is the Railway Ripper and what crimes is he or she committing?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)