|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Barbara Havers become upset with Inspector Lynley in Chapter 12?
(a) She's jealous of his romance with Stepha Odell.
(b) She wants him to love her, not Deborah St. James.
(c) She's jealous of his romance with Olivia Odell.
(d) She's jealous of his romance with Gillian.
2. Who does Inspector Lynley initially send to London to find Gillian?
(a) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(b) Mrs. Burton-Thomas.
(c) JoJo Watson.
(d) Constable Gabriel Langston.
3. What instrument does Jonah Clarence play?
(a) The violin.
(b) The piano.
(c) The flute.
(d) The guitar.
4. Who leaves Sergeant Havers' brother Tony alone in the hospital while he dies?
(a) The nurses assigned to care for him.
(b) Sergeant Havers' parents.
(c) Sergeant Havers.
(d) Inspector Lynley.
5. What does Hank Watson do for a living?
(a) He's a dentist.
(b) He's a psychologist.
(c) He's a podiatrist.
(d) He's an optometrist.
6. At age eight, who does Roberta try to confide in about her father's abuse?
(a) Father Hart.
(c) Marsha Fitzalan.
7. In Chapter 10, who brings Inspector Lynley a carton containing evidence from the William Teys murder?
(b) Sir David Hillier.
(c) Ezra Farmington.
(d) Superintendent Nies.
8. What kind of work does Gillian do at Testament House?
(a) She is the activity director.
(b) She is the parlour maid.
(c) She counsels the teens who come to the house.
(d) She is the chef.
9. Whose photograph does Inspector Lynley ask Sergeant Barbara Havers to take around town to see if the person was in town at the time of William Teys' murder?
(a) Ezra Farmington's.
(b) Nigel Parrish's.
(c) Russell Mowery's.
10. Who is Nell Graham?
(a) Lady Helen Clyde.
(b) Gillian Teys.
(c) Roberta Teys.
(d) Stepha Odell.
11. What does Father Hart credit the saint buried at St. Catherine's Church with saving in the Keldale community?
(b) The well that provides the community with water.
(c) The children during a smallpox epidemic.
(d) The church building when it was threatened with fire.
12. Why doesn't anyone realize Roberta is pregnant before she gives birth?
(a) Roberta is thin and doesn't gain weight in her pregnancy.
(b) Roberta wears loose fitting clothing to hide her condition.
(c) Roberta is locked in her room and not seen in public.
(d) Roberta is greatly overweight.
13. With what does Roberta Teys line her chest of drawers?
(a) Empty potato chip bags.
(b) Lavender sachets.
(c) Worn towels.
(d) Ads from the newspaper's personal column.
14. What is Jonah Clarence's profession?
(a) He's an Anglican minister.
(b) He's a psychiatrist.
(c) He's a barber.
(d) He's a gym teacher.
15. What does Gillian put under Roberta's pillow before leaving Gembler Farm at age sixteen?
(b) A key.
(c) A locket that once belonged to their mother.
(d) Her favorite book of poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marsha Fitzalan's profession?
2. Why doesn't Ezra Farmington think he can paint any more?
3. Why doesn't Father Hart tell the police about William Teys' abuse of his daughters when he first learns of it?
4. With whom does Richard Gibson say he was having a romantic relationship when he left Keldale at age nineteen?
5. How many dresses does Stepha Odell say that Roberta Teys owns?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)