|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in the novel stutters?
(a) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(b) Roberta Teys.
(c) Constable Gabriel Langston.
(d) Hank Watson.
2. How does Father Hart describe his relationship with William Teys?
(a) William was like a son to him.
(b) William was his greatest enemy.
(c) William was his best friend.
(d) William was the church's most generous donor.
3. About what does Jonah Clarence lie to Sergeant Havers?
(a) Gillian's whereabouts on the night of her father's murder.
(b) His whereabouts on the night of William Teys' murder.
(c) Nell's true identity.
(d) His relationship with Gillian.
4. In Chapter 12, who does Inspector Lynley give Sergeant Barbara Havers three hours to find?
(b) Tessa Teys.
(c) Russell Mowery.
(d) Nigel Parrish.
5. With whom does Inspector Lynley have a brief romance in Chapter 12?
(a) Stepha Odell.
(b) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(c) Olivia Odell.
6. Who kills Roberta's baby?
(c) William Teys.
(d) Ezra Farmington.
7. Who does Inspector Lynley send ahead of Gillian to pave the way for Gillian's reunion at the end of the novel?
(a) Richard Gibson.
(b) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(c) Lady Helen Clyde.
(d) Mrs. Burton-Thomas.
8. What is the relationship between Stepha Odell and Paul Odell?
(a) Stepha is Paul's twin sister.
(b) They are husband and wife.
(c) Paul is Stepha's uncle.
(d) They are cousins.
9. Who watches via a two-way mirror while Gillian and Roberta are reunited?
(a) Superintendent Webberly and Tessa Mowery.
(b) Tessa Mowery.
(c) Inspector Lynley, Sergeant Havers, Lady Helen, and Jonah.
(d) Superintendent Nies and Inspector Lynley.
10. What is the name of the cottage in which Nigel Parrish lives?
(a) Lavender Cottage.
(b) Smithfield Cottage.
(c) Rose Cottage.
(d) Queen's Cottage.
11. Why is Hank Watson in England?
(a) To get married.
(b) To research his family's geneaology.
(c) To celebrate his wedding anniversary.
(d) To attend a convention
12. What does Sergeant Barbara Havers realize about Inspector Lynley's relationship with Deborah Allancourt-St. James in Chapter 9?
(a) That Deborah is in love with Lynley.
(b) That Deborah hates Lynley.
(c) That Lynley is in love with Deborah.
(d) That Lynley hates Deborah.
13. What do the toxicology tests on the Teys family dog reveal?
(a) The dog ate rotten meat.
(b) The dog died of pneumonia.
(c) The dog, like William Teys, has sleeping pills in its blood.
(d) The dog was poisoned.
14. Who holds Sergeant Havers and comforts her in Chapter 16 when Roberta Teys' confession reminds her of her own family traumas and upsets her?
(a) Dr. Samuels.
(b) Mrs. Burton-Thomas.
(d) Inspector Lynley.
15. With whom does Inspector Lynley find Stepha Odell at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Nigel Parrish.
(b) Dr. Samuels.
(c) Superintendent Nies.
(d) Richard Gibson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jonah Clarence's relationship with Gillian?
2. What is Marsha Fitzalan's profession?
3. What saint is buried at St. Catherine's Church?
4. Who does the forensic tests on the Teys family dog in Chapter 12?
5. With what other Keldale villager does Stepha Odell say she and Paul attended college?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)