|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Inspector Lynley have a brief romance in Chapter 12?
(a) Olivia Odell.
(b) Stepha Odell.
(c) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
2. What kind of work does Gillian do at Testament House?
(a) She counsels the teens who come to the house.
(b) She is the chef.
(c) She is the activity director.
(d) She is the parlour maid.
3. How likely does Roberta's doctor think it is that Roberta will recover?
(a) He thinks she will eventually recover enough to stand trial.
(b) He thinks she will recover only if she reunites with Tessa.
(c) He thinks it is possible she will recover, but not guaranteed.
(d) He thinks she will never recover.
4. At what age does Gillian leave home?
5. In Chapter 10, who brings Inspector Lynley a carton containing evidence from the William Teys murder?
(a) Sir David Hillier.
(b) Ezra Farmington.
(d) Superintendent Nies.
6. With whom do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers see Nigel Parrish arguing at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Russell Mowery.
(b) Roberta Teys.
(c) Ezra Farmington.
(d) Stepha Odell.
7. In Chapter 13, how long has Tessa Mowery been separated from her two oldest daughters?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Nineteen years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Fifteen years.
8. What disease does Stepha Odell carry in her genes and fear passing to any children she might have?
(b) Huntington's Disease.
(c) Cystic Fibrosis.
(d) Sickle Cell Anemia.
9. How does Stepha Odell describe Gillian?
(a) A wild child.
(b) A drug addict.
(c) A lazy and ungrateful child.
(d) A hard working young woman.
10. What plants does Gillian keep in the front window of her home?
(a) African violets.
(b) Swedish ivy.
(c) Red geraniums.
(d) Miniature roses.
11. What is Testament House?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A tea shop.
(c) A church.
(d) A refuge for teenage runaways.
12. What is Jonah Clarence's relationship with Gillian?
(a) He's Gillian's husband.
(b) He's Gillian's psychiatrist.
(c) He's Gillian's neighbor and friend.
(d) He's Gillian's boss.
13. How does Gillian send messages to Roberta?
(a) Through Stepha Odell.
(b) Through personal ads in the newspaper.
(c) She leaves notes in a hollow tree.
(d) She calls Roberta on a cell phone.
14. In Chapter 9, where does Stepha Odell book Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers for dinner?
(a) Lowgate Manor.
(b) Keldale Hall.
(c) The Dove and Whistle pub.
(d) St. Catherine's tea shop.
15. Who kills Roberta's baby?
(b) William Teys.
(d) Ezra Farmington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Lady Helen Clyde want Inspector Lynley to talk with her about seeing Deborah Allancourt-St. James?
2. Who does Inspector Lynley initially send to London to find Gillian?
3. Who does Inspector Lynley send ahead of Gillian to pave the way for Gillian's reunion at the end of the novel?
4. Why doesn't Ezra Farmington think he can paint any more?
5. What is Roberta Teys' family nickname?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)