|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Watson do for a living?
(a) He's a dentist.
(b) He's a podiatrist.
(c) He's a psychologist.
(d) He's an optometrist.
2. Which character in the novel stutters?
(a) Hank Watson.
(b) Roberta Teys.
(c) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(d) Constable Gabriel Langston.
3. Why doesn't Lady Helen Clyde want Inspector Lynley to talk with her about seeing Deborah Allancourt-St. James?
(a) She wants to discuss the William Teys case instead.
(b) She is in love with Deborah's husband, Simon.
(c) She hates Deborah.
(d) She wants Lynley to love her instead of Deborah.
4. Where is the child Stepha Odell bore?
(a) She is living in London with Stepha's old friend Susan.
(b) She is in an institution for handicapped children.
(c) She is buried in St. Catherine's graveyard.
(d) A family in another town has adopted her.
5. What is Jonah Clarence's profession?
(a) He's a psychiatrist.
(b) He's a barber.
(c) He's a gym teacher.
(d) He's an Anglican minister.
6. With whom does Inspector Lynley have a brief romance in Chapter 12?
(a) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(b) Olivia Odell.
(d) Stepha Odell.
7. What is Testament House?
(a) A tea shop.
(b) A church.
(c) A refuge for teenage runaways.
(d) A hotel.
8. What is the name of the cottage in which Nigel Parrish lives?
(a) Queen's Cottage.
(b) Smithfield Cottage.
(c) Rose Cottage.
(d) Lavender Cottage.
9. Why doesn't Denton line Inspector Lynley's chest of drawers with newspaper?
(a) The ink could rub off on Lynley's clothes.
(b) Inspector Lynley prefers fancier paper.
(c) Lynley is allergic to newspaper.
(d) Denton thinks it's cheap and vulgar to use newspaper.
10. What disease does Stepha Odell carry in her genes and fear passing to any children she might have?
(b) Cystic Fibrosis.
(c) Sickle Cell Anemia.
(d) Huntington's Disease.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Mrs. Burton-Thomas's appearance at dinner in Chapter 9?
(a) A gypsy blouse decorated with stars.
(b) A mink stole.
(c) A big tortoiseshell Spanish comb on top of her head.
(d) A moth-eaten skirt of indeterminate color.
12. Who locks herself in the bathroom in Chapter 14 and scrubs herself clean with metal brushes that make her bleed?
(a) Roberta Teys.
(b) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(c) Lady Helen Clyde.
13. Why does Stepha Odell think Olivia Odell wanted to marry William Teys?
(a) To have a strong male role model like Paul for Birdie.
(b) To get access to his money.
(c) To have a second chance at love.
(d) To have a companion in her old age.
14. How does Gillian send messages to Roberta?
(a) She leaves notes in a hollow tree.
(b) She calls Roberta on a cell phone.
(c) Through personal ads in the newspaper.
(d) Through Stepha Odell.
15. What kind of work does Gillian do at Testament House?
(a) She is the activity director.
(b) She is the chef.
(c) She counsels the teens who come to the house.
(d) She is the parlour maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, how long has Tessa Mowery been separated from her two oldest daughters?
2. How does Father Hart describe his relationship with William Teys?
3. What does Father Hart credit the saint buried at St. Catherine's Church with saving in the Keldale community?
4. Why does Sergeant Barbara Havers become upset with Inspector Lynley in Chapter 12?
5. How does Father Hart describe Gillian?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)