|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city is Father Hart traveling by train in the novel's opening scene?
2. What do Danny and Ezra Farmington find at Keldale Abbey three years prior to William Teys' murder?
(a) A suitcase filled with counterfeit money.
(b) A murdered priest.
(c) An abandoned baby.
(d) A stolen emerald necklace.
3. How is William Teys murdered?
(a) He is strangled with a belt.
(b) He is beaten with a golf club.
(c) He's shot with a rifle.
(d) He's decapitated with an ax.
4. What is the first name of Richard Gibson's wife?
5. What rumors has Sergeant Barbara Havers heard about Inspector Lynley at Scotland Yard?
(a) That he's a womanizer.
(b) That he's a genius.
(c) That he's an alcoholic.
(d) That he's inept.
6. What beverage does Sergeant Barbara Havers drink instead of alcohol?
(a) Iced tea.
(c) Tonic water.
(d) Diet cola.
7. What is Danny's relationship to Ezra Farmington?
(a) She's Ezra's girlfriend.
(b) She's Ezra's model.
(c) She's Ezra's roommate.
(d) She's Ezra's classmate.
8. What is Jimmy Havers' relationship to Sergeant Barbara Havers?
(a) Jimmy is Barbara's husband.
(b) Jimmy is Barbara's son.
(c) Jimmy is Barbara's grandfather.
(d) Jimmy is Barbara's father.
9. Why is the person arrested for the murder over the garnet necklace freed from jail?
(a) He bribes his jailer.
(b) His wife romances a wealthy man with political influence.
(c) Someone else confesses to the crime.
(d) A videotape proving the person's innocence is found.
10. What hangs on the wall of Stepha Odell's business?
(a) Pictures of Paul Odell.
(b) Tapestries with biblical scenes on them.
(c) Paintings by Ezra Farmington.
(d) Pictures of William Teys.
11. Where does Roberta Teys go every day to read the local paper?
(a) The Keldale library.
(b) St. Catherine's Church.
(c) Keldale Lodge.
(d) Rose Cottage.
12. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
13. When Bridie Odell cuts her hair, whose hairstyle is she trying to copy?
(a) Diana, Princess of Wales.
(b) Her mother's.
14. What legend does Danny tell Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James about Keldale Abbey?
(a) A medieval priest performed healing miracles there.
(b) A nun and a priest once fell in love there.
(c) The ghost of a crying baby haunts the place.
(d) Henry VIII courted Anne Boleyn there.
15. During his train ride in the opening scene, what is Father Hart holding in his lap?
(a) A wounded kitten.
(b) A crying baby.
(c) A laptop computer.
(d) A battered attache case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard Gibson?
2. In Chapter 1, who is killed over a dispute about ownership of a garnet necklace?
3. On what day of the week is William Teys murdered?
4. What do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find hidden between Roberta Teys' mattress and box springs at her family's farm?
5. What has the London press dubbed the person responsible for the murders in the train stations?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)