|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dr. Samuels?
(a) Jimmy Havers' doctor.
(b) Paul Odell's doctor.
(c) Roberta Teys' psychiatrist at the asylum.
(d) A history professor who once taught Gillian.
2. What does Deborah Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
(a) She's a teacher.
(b) She's an accountant.
(c) She's a pianist.
(d) She's a photographer.
3. What do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find hidden between Roberta Teys' mattress and box springs at her family's farm?
(a) Rotting food.
(b) A letter from Gillian Teys, proving Gillian is still alive.
(c) A letter from Tessa Teys, proving Tessa is still alive.
(d) A diary detailing her father's abuse of her.
4. When Bridie Odell cuts her hair, whose hairstyle is she trying to copy?
(b) Her mother's.
(d) Diana, Princess of Wales.
5. What is the first name of Richard Gibson's wife?
6. With whom does Nigel Parrish see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys' murder?
(a) Richard Gibson.
(b) Ezra Farmington.
(c) Russel Mowery.
(d) Roberta Teys.
7. In Chapter 8, how long has Russell Mowrey been missing?
(a) Two months.
(b) Twelve weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Ten days.
8. What does Ezra Farmington do for a living?
(a) He's a police officer.
(b) He's a tailor.
(c) He's an artist.
(d) He's a farmer.
9. Which of the following is not a statement Father Hart uses to describe himself in the opening scene when imagining how the woman seated next to him perceives him?
(a) Wearing an old suit mended at the elbows and cuffs.
(b) A toast crumb on his mouth.
(c) A handsome older man.
(d) Three cuts on his face from shaving.
10. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
11. What is strange about the photos Inspector Lynley finds in the Teys family photo album?
(a) They have big purple X's painted on them.
(b) Someone has been cut out of many of them.
(c) They have been glued together in a big wad.
(d) They have been painted red.
12. What food served at the Dove and Whistle pub reminds Sergeant Barbara Havers of her family's squalid home?
(a) Chicken and peas.
(c) Shepherd's pie.
(d) Mashed potatoes.
13. What is Denton's relationship to Inspector Lynley?
(a) He's Lynley's insurance agent.
(b) He's Lynley's valet.
(c) He's Lynley's barber.
(d) He's Lynley's banker.
14. What food does Lady Helen Clyde offer Sergeant Barbara Havers in Chapter 2?
(a) Roast venison.
(b) Crab salad.
(c) Salmon croquettes.
(d) Lobster bisque.
15. Where does Inspector Lynley think he has seen Russell Mowrey?
(a) At a train station.
(b) At Simon Allancourt-St. James' wedding.
(c) Scotland Yard.
(d) At St. Catherine's Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of London does Sergeant Barbara Havers live?
2. Who leaves the village of Keldale for several years to learn to grow barley?
3. With whom does Stepha Odell suspect that Roberta has been in love?
4. What about the treatment of Roberta Teys upsets Inspector Lynley in Chapter 6?
5. What is Jimmy Havers' relationship to Sergeant Barbara Havers?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)