|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a statement Father Hart uses to describe himself in the opening scene when imagining how the woman seated next to him perceives him?
(a) Wearing an old suit mended at the elbows and cuffs.
(b) A toast crumb on his mouth.
(c) Three cuts on his face from shaving.
(d) A handsome older man.
2. Who is Danny?
(a) Inspector Lynley's adopted son.
(b) The Teys family dog.
(c) Sergeant Barbara Havers' brother.
(d) The maid at Keldale Hall.
3. Who is Caroline?
(a) Lady Helen Clyde's maid and Denton's girlfriend.
(b) Olivia Odell's best friend.
(c) Inspector Lynley's secretary.
(d) Sopha Odell's maid.
4. What food does Lady Helen Clyde offer Sergeant Barbara Havers in Chapter 2?
(a) Roast venison.
(b) Lobster bisque.
(c) Salmon croquettes.
(d) Crab salad.
5. What has the London press dubbed the person responsible for the murders in the train stations?
(a) The Train Station Strangler.
(b) The Caboose Killer.
(c) The Railway Ripper.
(d) The Railway Plague.
6. What evidence is lacking at the scene of William Teys' murder?
(a) The murder weapon.
(c) Fingerprints and blood spatter.
(d) Videotape from the security camera.
7. What rumors has Sergeant Barbara Havers heard about Inspector Lynley at Scotland Yard?
(a) That he's a genius.
(b) That he's an alcoholic.
(c) That he's inept.
(d) That he's a womanizer.
8. What does Simon Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
(a) He's an investment agent.
(b) He's a forensic scientist.
(c) He's a veterinarian.
(d) He's a movie producer.
9. What is the relationship between Simon Allcourt-St. James and Inspector Lynley?
(a) They're stepbrothers.
(b) They're cousins.
(c) They're best friends.
(d) They're enemies.
10. What do Danny and Ezra Farmington find at Keldale Abbey three years prior to William Teys' murder?
(a) An abandoned baby.
(b) A stolen emerald necklace.
(c) A suitcase filled with counterfeit money.
(d) A murdered priest.
11. During his train ride in the opening scene, what is Father Hart holding in his lap?
(a) A wounded kitten.
(b) A crying baby.
(c) A laptop computer.
(d) A battered attache case.
12. To what organization is Father Hart traveling?
(a) The Red Cross.
(c) The FBI.
(d) New Scotland Yard.
13. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
14. Who is Dougal?
(a) Bridie Odell's pet cat.
(b) Bridie Odell's pet duck.
(c) Stepha Odell's gardener.
(d) The local constable.
15. What is the beverage that Stepha Odell calls Odell's?
(a) A home-brewed ale made according to her father's recipe.
(b) A fruit punch with fresh raspberries and strawberries.
(c) A mixture of hot tea and rum.
(d) A mixture of coffee and butterscotch with whipped cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aristocratic title does Inspector Lynley hold?
2. As the book opens, how many murders have occurred around London train stations in the last five weeks?
3. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Simon Allcourt-St. James?
4. From what disease does Sergeant Barbara Havers' mother suffer?
5. To whom is William Teys engaged at the time of his death?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)