|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Superintendent Webberly and Sir David Hillier?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are coworkers and brothers-in-law.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are stepbrothers.
2. To what city is Father Hart traveling by train in the novel's opening scene?
3. What is the beverage that Stepha Odell calls Odell's?
(a) A fruit punch with fresh raspberries and strawberries.
(b) A mixture of hot tea and rum.
(c) A home-brewed ale made according to her father's recipe.
(d) A mixture of coffee and butterscotch with whipped cream.
4. At the end of Chapter 5, to where does Stepha Odell inform Inspector Lynley that Roberta Teys has been sent?
(a) The local jail.
(b) A mental asylum.
(c) Scotland Yard.
(d) The hospital emergency ward.
5. What legend does Danny tell Simon and Deborah Allcourt-St. James about Keldale Abbey?
(a) A medieval priest performed healing miracles there.
(b) The ghost of a crying baby haunts the place.
(c) Henry VIII courted Anne Boleyn there.
(d) A nun and a priest once fell in love there.
6. Who is Danny?
(a) The maid at Keldale Hall.
(b) The Teys family dog.
(c) Inspector Lynley's adopted son.
(d) Sergeant Barbara Havers' brother.
7. What is the name of the Teys family farm?
(a) Rose Cottage.
(b) Starring Hill Farm.
(c) Gembler Farm.
(d) Teys Manor.
8. Where does Inspector Lynley think he has seen Russell Mowrey?
(a) Scotland Yard.
(b) At St. Catherine's Church.
(c) At a train station.
(d) At Simon Allancourt-St. James' wedding.
9. With whom does Nigel Parrish see William Teys arguing shortly before Teys' murder?
(a) Roberta Teys.
(b) Russel Mowery.
(c) Ezra Farmington.
(d) Richard Gibson.
10. Where does Roberta Teys go every day to read the local paper?
(a) Rose Cottage.
(b) St. Catherine's Church.
(c) The Keldale library.
(d) Keldale Lodge.
11. Who owns Keldale Hall?
(a) Sopha Odell.
(b) Olivia Odell.
(c) Tessa Mowery.
(d) Mrs. Burton-Thomas.
12. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
(a) A knighthood.
(b) A raise.
(c) A promotion to Chief Superintendent.
(d) A commendation from the queen.
13. What photographs hanging on the walls of Superintendent Webberly's office are studied by Inspector Lynley in Chapter 3?
(a) Photos of Superintendent Webberly's pet cat.
(b) Photos of the royal family of England.
(c) Photos of a beautiful young actress.
(d) Photos of the Ripper's victims.
14. Who discovers William Teys' body?
(a) Olivia Odell.
(b) Gillian Teys.
(c) Father Hart.
(d) Stepha Odell.
15. In Chapter 1, who is killed over a dispute about ownership of a garnet necklace?
(a) A middle-aged secretary.
(b) A duchess.
(c) An aging actress.
(d) An elderly gypsy woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
2. What relative of Sergeant Barbara Havers has died of leukemia?
3. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Simon Allcourt-St. James?
4. In what part of England has William Teys been murdered?
5. How old is Bridie Odell?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)