|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers William Teys' body?
(a) Stepha Odell.
(b) Father Hart.
(c) Olivia Odell.
(d) Gillian Teys.
2. Where do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers encounter Denton in Chapter 5?
(a) At Scotland Yard.
(b) At St. Catherine's Church.
(c) A train station cafeteria.
(d) At a London pub.
3. What does Simon Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
(a) He's an investment agent.
(b) He's a forensic scientist.
(c) He's a movie producer.
(d) He's a veterinarian.
4. What is Gillian's relationship to Roberta Teys?
(a) She's Roberta's friend.
(b) She's Roberta's classmate.
(c) She's Roberta's teacher.
(d) She's Roberta's older sister.
5. What photographs hanging on the walls of Superintendent Webberly's office are studied by Inspector Lynley in Chapter 3?
(a) Photos of the Ripper's victims.
(b) Photos of Superintendent Webberly's pet cat.
(c) Photos of a beautiful young actress.
(d) Photos of the royal family of England.
6. What is Richard Gibson's relationship to William Teys?
(a) Richard is William's employer.
(b) Richard is William's stepson.
(c) Richard is William's nephew.
(d) Richard is William's landlord.
7. Who is Dougal?
(a) The local constable.
(b) Stepha Odell's gardener.
(c) Bridie Odell's pet duck.
(d) Bridie Odell's pet cat.
8. What relative of Sergeant Barbara Havers has died of leukemia?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her sister.
9. What color hair does Stepha Odell have?
10. With whom does Stepha Odell suspect that Roberta has been in love?
(a) Russel Mowery.
(b) Nigel Parrish.
(c) Paul Odell.
(d) Ezra Farmington.
11. Where does Roberta Teys go every day to read the local paper?
(a) St. Catherine's Church.
(b) The Keldale library.
(c) Rose Cottage.
(d) Keldale Lodge.
12. On what day of the week is William Teys murdered?
13. What food served at the Dove and Whistle pub reminds Sergeant Barbara Havers of her family's squalid home?
(a) Chicken and peas.
(b) Mashed potatoes.
(d) Shepherd's pie.
14. What do the toxicology reports indicate are in William Teys' blood at the time of his murder?
(a) Rat poisoning.
(d) Sleeping pills.
15. Where does Inspector Lynley think he has seen Russell Mowrey?
(a) At St. Catherine's Church.
(b) Scotland Yard.
(c) At Simon Allancourt-St. James' wedding.
(d) At a train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person that Chief Inspector Nies says he and Chief Constable Kerridge can trust to give New Scotland Yard the facts about the murder of William Teys?
2. To what city is Father Hart traveling by train in the novel's opening scene?
3. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
4. Why is evidence of Gillian's existence destroyed by her father?
5. At the end of Chapter 5, to where does Stepha Odell inform Inspector Lynley that Roberta Teys has been sent?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)