|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What photographs hanging on the walls of Superintendent Webberly's office are studied by Inspector Lynley in Chapter 3?
(a) Photos of the Ripper's victims.
(b) Photos of a beautiful young actress.
(c) Photos of Superintendent Webberly's pet cat.
(d) Photos of the royal family of England.
2. In Chapter 1, who is killed over a dispute about ownership of a garnet necklace?
(a) A middle-aged secretary.
(b) An aging actress.
(c) An elderly gypsy woman.
(d) A duchess.
3. Why are Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers surprised to find a well-stocked library at the Teys farm?
(a) Stepha Odell says Roberta had no books to read at home.
(b) William Teys allows no books but the Bible for his family.
(c) The Teys family is illiterate.
(d) Father Hart and William Teys burn non-bibical books.
4. What relative of William Teys thought by Lynley and Havers to be dead is still alive according to Olivia Odell?
(a) His sister Sheila.
(b) His father Gregory.
(c) His wife Tessa.
(d) His son Anton.
5. Who confesses to William Teys' murder?
(a) Teys' wife Tessa.
(b) Teys' nephew, Richard Gibson.
(c) Teys' youngest daughter, Roberta Teys.
(d) Teys' oldest daughter, Gillian.
6. What is given to Roberta Teys in her father's will?
(a) The right to live on the family farm for life.
(b) The family dog, Whiskers.
(c) Her mother's pearl earrings.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
7. Who discovers William Teys' body?
(a) Stepha Odell.
(b) Father Hart.
(c) Gillian Teys.
(d) Olivia Odell.
8. What does Deborah Allcourt-St. James do for a living?
(a) She's a teacher.
(b) She's an accountant.
(c) She's a pianist.
(d) She's a photographer.
9. In what part of England has William Teys been murdered?
10. At the end of Chapter 5, to where does Stepha Odell inform Inspector Lynley that Roberta Teys has been sent?
(a) A mental asylum.
(b) The local jail.
(c) The hospital emergency ward.
(d) Scotland Yard.
11. Where do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers encounter Denton in Chapter 5?
(a) A train station cafeteria.
(b) At St. Catherine's Church.
(c) At Scotland Yard.
(d) At a London pub.
12. Which relative of William Teys will inherit the Teys family farm?
(d) Richard Gibson.
13. In Chapter 8, how long has Russell Mowrey been missing?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Twelve weeks.
(d) Two months.
14. Where does Inspector Lynley think he has seen Russell Mowrey?
(a) At Simon Allancourt-St. James' wedding.
(b) At a train station.
(c) At St. Catherine's Church.
(d) Scotland Yard.
15. As the book opens, how many murders have occurred around London train stations in the last five weeks?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers find hidden between Roberta Teys' mattress and box springs at her family's farm?
2. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
3. On what day of the week is William Teys murdered?
4. What is the first name of Richard Gibson's wife?
5. Why has Sergeant Barbara Havers been demoted from CID and put back into uniform?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)