|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 5, to where does Stepha Odell inform Inspector Lynley that Roberta Teys has been sent?
(a) The local jail.
(b) A mental asylum.
(c) Scotland Yard.
(d) The hospital emergency ward.
2. In Chapter 2, what event is Lynley attending when Sergeant Havers must summon him back to London for a meeting with their superiors?
(a) His niece's baptism.
(b) Lady Helen Clyde's birthday party.
(c) His father's retirement party.
(d) Simon Allancourt-St. James' wedding.
3. Who is driving the car the night of the accident that cripples Simon Allcourt-St. James for life?
(a) Sergeant Barbara Havers.
(b) Superintendent Webberly.
(c) Inspector Lynley.
(d) Lady Helen Clyde.
4. What hangs on the wall of Stepha Odell's business?
(a) Paintings by Ezra Farmington.
(b) Pictures of William Teys.
(c) Pictures of Paul Odell.
(d) Tapestries with biblical scenes on them.
5. Why does Sergeant Barbara Havers think she has been chosen to work with Lynley on the investigation of the murder of William Teys?
(a) She's too unattractive to tempt him.
(b) She has experience as a forensics investigator.
(c) She's being given a promotion.
(d) She's from the village where the murder occurred.
6. What honor does Superintendent Webberly's wife want him to acquire?
(a) A commendation from the queen.
(b) A raise.
(c) A promotion to Chief Superintendent.
(d) A knighthood.
7. What is the name of the Teys family farm?
(a) Starring Hill Farm.
(b) Teys Manor.
(c) Gembler Farm.
(d) Rose Cottage.
8. Where do Inspector Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers encounter Denton in Chapter 5?
(a) At St. Catherine's Church.
(b) At Scotland Yard.
(c) A train station cafeteria.
(d) At a London pub.
9. Who is Caroline?
(a) Lady Helen Clyde's maid and Denton's girlfriend.
(b) Olivia Odell's best friend.
(c) Sopha Odell's maid.
(d) Inspector Lynley's secretary.
10. Who discovers William Teys' body?
(a) Gillian Teys.
(b) Olivia Odell.
(c) Father Hart.
(d) Stepha Odell.
11. Which of the following statements does not describe Richard Gibson?
(a) Black hair, brown eyes, and swarthy skin.
(b) Missing two front teeth.
(c) Bull-necked with the thick limbs of a labourer.
(d) Six and a half feet tall.
12. What does Jimmy Havers sneak over to Mr. Patel's convenience store to purchase?
(b) Lottery tickets.
13. What food does Lady Helen Clyde offer Sergeant Barbara Havers in Chapter 2?
(a) Lobster bisque.
(b) Roast venison.
(c) Crab salad.
(d) Salmon croquettes.
14. When Inspector Lynley's brother-in-law was murdered five years ago, who did Chief Inspector Nies arrest for the crime?
(a) Tessa Mowery.
(b) William Teys.
(c) Ezra Farmington.
(d) Inspector Lynley.
15. Whose death does Chief Superintendent fail to mention in his report about William Teys' murder?
(a) Paul Odell's death.
(b) Whiskers, the Teys family dog's death.
(c) Russell Mowery's death.
(d) Tessa Teys' death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Lady Helen Clyde and Simon Allcourt-St. James?
2. Why is evidence of Gillian's existence destroyed by her father?
3. What do the letters CID stand for in the novel "A Great Deliverance"?
4. From what disease does Jimmy Havers suffer?
5. What is Father Hart's religion?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)