|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 10," why does the narrator say Karanja didn't think he could be overthrown?
2. In "Chapter 10," what does General R. call Githua?
3. What does Warui say is the disappointment of his life?
4. In "Chapter 13," what group of people tries to convince Mugo to speak at the celebration?
5. In "Chapter 12," what does Mugo see in the trench?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gikonyo's life like in the concentration camp?
2. What happens to Gikonyo the day he is released from the concentration camp?
3. How does Mumbi explain to Mugo about her affair with Karanja?
4. What happens when Gikonyo meets Karanja on the street in "Chapter 7"?
5. What does Mugo say happened when he turned in Kihika?
6. What does Mugo do at the independence celebration?
7. How does Mr. Thompson feel at his going away party?
8. How does Mugo feel after talking to Githua in "Chapter 8"?
9. What happens when Gikonyo and Warui visit Mugo in "Chapter 12"?
10. When Mugo sees the trench in "Chapter 12," what does he think about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Karanja's role in this novel? What does he act as a force upon? What message does the author deliver through Karanja?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of flashback in this novel. Several characters have flashbacks to the beginning of the Emergency and of the Movement. How does this device work? Is it effective or ineffective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Movement to the American Revolution or another historical movement toward independence.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)