|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gikonyo falls in "Chapter 14"?
2. In "Chapter 12," what upsets Gikonyo about the farm land he wants to buy?
3. How does Karanja treat Gikonyo after he is released from the concentration camp?
4. In "Chapter 10," why does the narrator say Karanja didn't think he could be overthrown?
5. What event cheers up the independence ceremony in "Chapter 14"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gikonyo's life like in the concentration camp?
2. What does Githua talk to Mugo about in "Chapter 8"?
3. How does Mr. Thompson feel at his going away party?
4. What does Mugo remember about the night Kihika killed Robson?
5. When Mugo sees the trench in "Chapter 12," what does he think about?
6. In "Chapter 13," what worries Mumbi about the coming celebration?
7. What is Mwaura's relationship with General R. in "Chapter 10"?
8. Why does Mumbi tell her story to Mugo in "Chapter 9"?
9. What does Mugo say happened when he turned in Kihika?
10. What does Mugo do at the independence celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of loneliness in "A Grain of Wheat,"
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in "A Grain of Wheat"? Especially consider the Christianity white men bring to Kenya.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the span of the entire novel, how does the author symbolize Kenyan independence?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)