|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mr. Thompson first become interested in spreading British culture?
2. When did Mr. Thompson first come to Africa?
3. In "Chapter 1," how many women come to visit Mugo at his house?
4. While attending school as a child, why was Kihika threatened with a beating?
5. Where does Mr. Thompson say his life as an administrator began?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 5," what happens when the Thompsons discuss leaving Africa?
2. In "Chapter 7," what does the narrator say about Mumbi's feelings toward the Movement?
3. How does Mr. Thompson help Karanja with the dog in "Chapter 4"?
4. How does Mugo feel about the land he receives, after leaving the detention center?
5. In "Chapter 2," what explanation is given for the Movement?
6. Why does General R. bring up Karanja in "Chapter 3"?
7. In "Chapter 2," who are some of rebels that are described?
8. How does the narrator say Wambui avoided getting in trouble with officials in "Chapter 3"?
9. How does Mugo feel about the old woman in the village?
10. In "Chapter 2," how do Kenyans feel about women rulers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of land, especially farmland.
Essay Topic 2
What is Karanja's role in this novel? What does he act as a force upon? What message does the author deliver through Karanja?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the romantic relationships in "A Grain of Wheat." How are they influenced by politics?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)