|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," how does Wambui help the Movement?
2. Why does Mrs. Thompson kiss her husband on the ear in "Chapter 5"?
3. In "Chapter 2," what does the narrator say white men spread around Kenya?
4. In "Chapter 5," what does Mr. Thompson want to tell his wife but doesn't?
5. What country does the narrator say Kihika compared Kenya to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 4," what does the narrator say about trains?
2. How does Gikonyo's father throwing him and his mother out change him?
3. In "Chapter 2," who are some of rebels that are described?
4. How does Mugo feel about the old woman in the village?
5. How does the narrator say Wambui avoided getting in trouble with officials in "Chapter 3"?
6. In "Chapter 3," what makes Gikonyo want to visit with Mugo?
7. In "Chapter 7," what does the narrator say about Mumbi's feelings toward the Movement?
8. How does Mugo feel about giving speeches in "Chapter 6"?
9. In "Chapter 1," what things do the villagers talk with Mugo about?
10. What does Gikonyo do in Nairobi in "Chapter 6"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the span of the entire novel, how does the author symbolize Kenyan independence?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in "A Grain of Wheat"? Especially consider the Christianity white men bring to Kenya.
Essay Topic 3
What is Karanja's role in this novel? What does he act as a force upon? What message does the author deliver through Karanja?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)