|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gikonyo become interested in carpentry?
2. Why was the woman who ruled Muranga dethroned?
3. In "Chapter 5," what does Mrs. Thompson think about while washing dishes?
4. What made Mugo stop giving the speech he remembers in "Chapter 6"?
5. How does Gikonyo make money with grain in "Chapter 6"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator say Wambui avoided getting in trouble with officials in "Chapter 3"?
2. In "Chapter 2," what explanation is given for the Movement?
3. What does Gikonyo do in Nairobi in "Chapter 6"?
4. In "Chapter 2," who are some of rebels that are described?
5. In "Chapter 3," what makes Gikonyo want to visit with Mugo?
6. How does Mugo feel about giving speeches in "Chapter 6"?
7. How does Gikonyo's father throwing him and his mother out change him?
8. In "Chapter 4," what does the narrator say about trains?
9. In "Chapter 7," what turning point in Kihika's life does the narrator describe?
10. How does Mugo feel about the land he receives, after leaving the detention center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gikonyo's story is considered tragic by the narrator. Is Gikonyo tragic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is Karanja's role in this novel? What does he act as a force upon? What message does the author deliver through Karanja?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the issues of race that are raised in this novel.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)