|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Koina do for a living before working with General R.?
(a) A cook.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A fisherman.
2. In "Chapter 1", why does Mugo feel a connection with Gitoko's mother?
(a) Because she seems to recognize him.
(b) Because she cooks for him.
(c) Because he lost a brother in the war.
(d) Because she looks like his mother.
3. In "Chapter 6," why does Mugo tell Gikonyo he didn't want to leave camp?
(a) He is badly in debt.
(b) He was afraid fo the villagers.
(c) He didn't have to work.
(d) He had no family to return to.
4. Why was the woman who ruled Muranga dethroned?
(a) For stealing money.
(b) For ruling against a man.
(c) For dancing naked.
(d) For doing a poor job.
5. What was one of the causes for the Movement to begin?
(a) A communist government take over.
(b) Wide spread illness.
(c) No one knows what started it.
(d) White men moving into Kenya.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General R. visit Mugo in "Chapter 3"?
2. How does Gikonyo make money with grain in "Chapter 6"?
3. In "Chapter 6," what does Gikonyo confess to Mugo about his time in camp?
4. What does Karanja do at the library?
5. In "Chapter 3," what does Gikonyo say detention did to Mugo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Thompson help Karanja with the dog in "Chapter 4"?
2. In "Chapter 1", what happens when Mugo wakes up?
3. What happens when Karanja visits Mrs. Thomspon in "Chapter 4"?
4. How does Gikonyo's father throwing him and his mother out change him?
5. How does the narrator say Gikonyo courted Mumbi?
6. In "Chapter 5," what happens when the Thompsons discuss leaving Africa?
7. How does the narrator say Wambui avoided getting in trouble with officials in "Chapter 3"?
8. In "Chapter 3," what makes Gikonyo want to visit with Mugo?
9. In "Chapter 5," what does Mrs. Thompson remember about Van Dyke?
10. How does Mugo feel about the land he receives, after leaving the detention center?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)