|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say happened the day Kenyetta was arrested?
(a) He ran away from the police.
(b) A state of emergency was called.
(c) People went into mourning.
(d) Kihika took over Kenya.
2. Who does General R. compare his father to?
3. What is unique about the camp in Rira?
(a) It allows visitors.
(b) It has women and men held there.
(c) It is funded by England.
(d) It is for difficult prisoners.
4. In "Chapter 13," what does Mugo remember about the night Kihika murdered Robson?
(a) The dinner he ate that night.
(b) The noise Kihika made while running away.
(c) When Kihika confessed to Gikonyo.
(d) How he was laying in his bed.
5. What type of shop does Mugo visit in "Chapter 8"?
(a) A book shop.
(b) A clothing shop.
(c) A tea shop.
(d) A pub.
6. What does Gikonyo do to avoid Mumbi and her child in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He sends Mumbi to the market.
(b) He works all day.
(c) He visits Mugo daily.
(d) He starts getting involved in the Movement.
7. What does the narrator say General R. used to work as?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A tailor.
(c) A politician.
(d) A poet.
8. In "Chapter 11," how does Dr. Lynd say she feels about Kenya?
(c) In love.
9. In the beginning of "Chapter 12," what does Mumbi ask Gikonyo?
(a) When he will be leaving.
(b) What is wrong with him.
(c) Who he was out with.
(d) How he plans on bringing home enough food.
10. Who is Kenyetta?
(a) An author.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A politician.
(d) A protester.
11. How does Thomspon change the camp where he works in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He ends torture.
(b) He releases more prisoners.
(c) He improves the food.
(d) He gets more funding.
12. In "Chapter 10," what does Karanja remember about his job as chief?
(a) The pay he received.
(b) The feeling of fear.
(c) How he lost the position.
(d) His uniform.
13. What does Karanja think about while running in "Chapter 14"?
(b) His life.
(c) The war.
(d) Moving to England.
14. In "Chapter 12," what does Mugo see in the trench?
(d) Dead bodies.
15. What upsets Mumbi about Wambuku in "Chapter 10"?
(a) Her death.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her beating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event cheers up the independence ceremony in "Chapter 14"?
2. Where do the villagers sing the night before independence?
3. What leads Mugo to attack Mumbi?
4. In "Chapter 10," how many people does Mumbi say died in the trenches?
5. At the end of "Chapter 10," what does Mugo say?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)