|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of shop does Mugo visit in "Chapter 8"?
(a) A book shop.
(b) A tea shop.
(c) A clothing shop.
(d) A pub.
2. In "Chapter 12," what reason does Mugo give for not giving a speech?
(a) He disagrees with the Movement.
(b) He has nothing to say.
(c) He lost his voice.
(d) He doesn't feel well.
3. How does Gikonyo feel about Mumbi when he wakes in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He is worried about her.
(b) He feels sorry for her.
(c) He is angry with her.
(d) He is still in love with her.
4. In "Chapter 10," what is Karanja's biggest concern?
(a) If General R. is leading the investigation.
(b) If he is under arrest.
(c) If Mugo will meet with him.
(d) If Thompson is leaving.
5. In "Chapter 12," what does Mugo see in the trench?
(d) Dead bodies.
6. In "Chapter 13," what does Mugo remember about the night Kihika murdered Robson?
(a) The noise Kihika made while running away.
(b) The dinner he ate that night.
(c) How he was laying in his bed.
(d) When Kihika confessed to Gikonyo.
7. What does the narrator say Kihika's biggest concern was as a teenager?
8. Why does Mugo arrive to the independence celebration late?
(a) Because he didn't want anyone to see him.
(b) Mugo never goes to the celebration.
(c) Because he is confessing about Kihika.
(d) Because he overslept.
9. Where do the villagers sing the night before independence?
(a) The church.
(b) The woods.
(c) Mumbi's hut.
(d) Mugo's hut.
10. What does Mugo do after Gikonyo leaves his house in "Chapter 8"?
(a) He goes for a walk.
(b) He visits Mumbi.
(c) He starts to work in his yard.
(d) He takes a nap.
11. In "Chapter 11," how does Dr. Lynd say she feels about Kenya?
(b) In love.
12. What happens to Gikonyo because of his fall in "Chapter 14"?
(a) He loses a bet.
(b) He breaks his arm.
(d) He cuts his leg.
13. Why does Mumbi send a note to Karanja telling him not to come to the celebration?
(a) She doesn't agree with the celebration.
(b) She doesn't want him to see Gikonyo.
(c) She wants to trap him so he'll be arrested.
(d) She fears he will be killed.
14. In "Chapter 10," how many people does Mumbi say died in the trenches?
15. Why does Mugo feel he should have been left alone after Robson's death?
(a) Because he hurt no one.
(b) Because he disagreed with the Movement.
(c) Because he didn't know the man.
(d) Because he didn't know anything about his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomspon change the camp where he works in "Chapter 9"?
2. Why does Mugo visit Gikonyo in "Chapter 10"?
3. Who tells Gikonyo that Mumbi had a child with Karanja?
4. What does Mwaura try to convince Karanja to do in "Chapter 10"?
5. What does Gatu do in the concentration camps to help out his fellow prisoners?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)