|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gikonyo slap Mumbi in "Chapter 12"?
(a) For threatening to leave the hut.
(b) For refusing to cook for him.
(c) For admitting to a second affair.
(d) For calling him a coward.
2. Who is Kenyetta?
(a) An author.
(b) A protester.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A politician.
3. At the end of "Chapter 10," what does Mugo say?
(a) That he won't be in the celebration.
(b) That he wants to lead the Movement.
(c) That he believes Mumbi's story.
(d) That he is sorry for the pain he caused.
4. What leads Mugo to attack Mumbi?
(a) She insults him.
(b) He lends her money she doesn't repay.
(c) She threatens his neighbor.
(d) He confesses to her about Kihika.
5. In "Chapter 10," what does General R. call Githua?
(a) A liar.
(b) A thief.
(c) A leader.
(d) A hero.
6. In "Chapter 10," what rumor is circulating about Thompson?
(a) That he has left Kenya already.
(b) That he will be replaced by a black man.
(c) That he will work for the new president.
(d) That he is keeping his job.
7. At the end of "Chapter 12," what happens when Gikonyo goes home?
(a) Mumbi has left.
(b) The police are there.
(c) The hut is on fire.
(d) Mumbi apologizes.
8. Where do the villagers sing the night before independence?
(a) The woods.
(b) Mugo's hut.
(c) Mumbi's hut.
(d) The church.
9. In "Chapter 12," what does Warui tell Mugo the old woman saw?
(a) A flashing light.
(b) Her dead son.
(c) Thompson leaving.
(d) Incoming troops.
10. Why does Mugo visit Gikonyo in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To accept a position as leader.
(b) To offer him a job.
(c) To help him with Mumbi.
(d) To give him money.
11. What does Mugo remember Thompson doing when he turned in Kihika?
(a) Taking lengthy notes.
(b) Assigning him an officer for protection.
(c) Spitting in his face.
(d) Making him leave out the back door.
12. What does Gikonyo try to do to Mumbi after running into Karanja at the market in "Chapter 7"?
(a) He tries to forgive her.
(b) He tries to throw her out of the house.
(c) He tries to rob her.
(d) He tries to kill her.
13. What does Mugo say eventually led him to turn in Kihika for murder?
(a) There was a reward.
(b) Kihika insulted him.
(c) He wanted to be arrested as well.
(d) Mumbi told him to.
14. What does Karanja think about the note Mumbi writes him?
(a) That Mumbi is interested in him.
(b) He never receives the note.
(c) That Gikonyo made Mumbi write it.
(d) That Mumbi is tricking him.
15. In "Chapter 14," how do the villagers feel about independence?
(a) That they will now become rich.
(b) That it is a positive change.
(c) That they can now rebuild their village.
(d) That it is a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 12," what upsets Gikonyo about the farm land he wants to buy?
2. What happens when Gikonyo falls in "Chapter 14"?
3. What makes Gikonyo confess to taking the oath while in the concentration camp?
4. In "Chapter 13," what does Mugo remember about the night Kihika murdered Robson?
5. In "Chapter 14," why does Mumbi tell anyone about Mugo's confession?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)