|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 12," what reason does Mugo give for not giving a speech?
(a) He disagrees with the Movement.
(b) He lost his voice.
(c) He doesn't feel well.
(d) He has nothing to say.
2. Why does Mugo feel he should have been left alone after Robson's death?
(a) Because he disagreed with the Movement.
(b) Because he didn't know anything about his death.
(c) Because he didn't know the man.
(d) Because he hurt no one.
3. How long does it take for Gikonyo wake, after hitting his head in "Chapter 8"?
(c) A week.
4. What does Gatu do in the concentration camps to help out his fellow prisoners?
(a) He makes jokes.
(b) He cooks.
(c) He sneaks in their loved ones.
(d) He gives them money.
5. How does Mugo feel after visiting the trench in "Chapter 12"?
(a) He wants to leave Kenya.
(b) He wants to run for political office.
(c) He wants to go home.
(d) He wants to hit someone.
6. What year is it when Kenya becomes independent?
7. In "Chapter 14," how do the villagers feel about independence?
(a) That they can now rebuild their village.
(b) That it is a mistake.
(c) That it is a positive change.
(d) That they will now become rich.
8. In "Chapter 14," why does Mumbi tell anyone about Mugo's confession?
(a) She promised not to tell.
(b) She doesn't want to hurt anyone.
(c) She thinks Mugo is lying.
(d) She is afraid of Mugo.
9. What does Gikonyo first think of when he wakes in "Chapter 8"?
(a) To find Mugo to ask for advice.
(b) To leave home for good.
(c) To beg for forgiveness.
(d) To never speak of the child.
10. How does Gikonyo try to hold onto his marriage while in the concentration camp?
(a) He draws pictures of Mumbi.
(b) He writes Mumbi letters.
(c) He plans a stool he will make for Mumbi.
(d) He tells the other prisoners about Mumbi.
11. How does Karanja treat Gikonyo after he is released from the concentration camp?
(a) He tries to start a fight with Gikonyo.
(b) He avoids Gikonyo on the street.
(c) He treats Gikonyo like a brother.
(d) He acts like he doesn't know Gikonyo.
12. In "Chapter 10," what does General R. call Karanja?
(a) A fool.
(b) A thief.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A hero.
13. What does the narrator say General R. used to work as?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A politician.
(c) A poet.
(d) A teacher.
14. In "Chapter 12," what does Mugo see in the trench?
(c) Dead bodies.
15. What type of shop does Mugo visit in "Chapter 8"?
(a) A pub.
(b) A tea shop.
(c) A clothing shop.
(d) A book shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 13," what does Mugo remember about the night Kihika murdered Robson?
2. What leads Mugo to attack Mumbi?
3. At the end of "Chapter 12," what happens when Gikonyo goes home?
4. How does Thomspon change the camp where he works in "Chapter 9"?
5. In "Chapter 10," how many people does Mumbi say died in the trenches?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)