|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 12," what does Mugo remember about the trench?
(a) When Mumbi gave birth.
(b) When Kihika gave a speech.
(c) When he was arrested.
(d) When Gikonyo was arrested.
2. In "Chapter 10," why does the narrator say Karanja didn't think he could be overthrown?
(a) Because he had fooled the government.
(b) Because he worked with white men.
(c) Because of his father's position.
(d) Because he is rich.
3. In "Chapter 12," what does Warui tell Mugo the old woman saw?
(a) Thompson leaving.
(b) A flashing light.
(c) Incoming troops.
(d) Her dead son.
4. How does Githua say he lost his leg?
(a) From illness.
(b) From being shot.
(c) From a car accident.
(d) From working too hard.
5. In "Chapter 11," how does Dr. Lynd say she feels about Kenya?
(b) In love.
6. In "Chapter 13," what group of people tries to convince Mugo to speak at the celebration?
(b) The military.
(c) Former government workers.
7. What does Karanja think about the note Mumbi writes him?
(a) That Mumbi is tricking him.
(b) That Gikonyo made Mumbi write it.
(c) That Mumbi is interested in him.
(d) He never receives the note.
8. What does Gikonyo try to do to Mumbi after running into Karanja at the market in "Chapter 7"?
(a) He tries to forgive her.
(b) He tries to rob her.
(c) He tries to throw her out of the house.
(d) He tries to kill her.
9. Why does Mumbi send a note to Karanja telling him not to come to the celebration?
(a) She fears he will be killed.
(b) She wants to trap him so he'll be arrested.
(c) She doesn't agree with the celebration.
(d) She doesn't want him to see Gikonyo.
10. What is unique about the camp in Rira?
(a) It is for difficult prisoners.
(b) It has women and men held there.
(c) It allows visitors.
(d) It is funded by England.
11. What does Mugo do in "Chapter 8" when Gikonyo tells him about Mumbi?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He laughs at the story.
(d) He tells Gikonyo to leave her.
12. Why does Mugo say he didn't immediately turn Kihika in for murder?
(a) He was afraid.
(b) He loved Kihika.
(c) He didn't know who to tell.
(d) He didn't believe he did it.
13. What does Karanja think about while running in "Chapter 14"?
(a) The war.
(c) Moving to England.
(d) His life.
14. How long does it take for Gikonyo wake, after hitting his head in "Chapter 8"?
(a) A week.
15. In "Chapter 10," what does General R. call Karanja?
(a) A hero.
(b) A fool.
(c) A thief.
(d) A traitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gikonyo try to hold onto his marriage while in the concentration camp?
2. In "Chapter 8", what does Githua say the Kenyan government has done?
3. Why do people whisper about Mugo in "Chapter 13"?
4. Why does Mugo visit Gikonyo in "Chapter 10"?
5. What happens when Gikonyo falls in "Chapter 14"?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)