|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 3," why is General R. interested in Karanja?
(a) He thinks Karanja is switching sides.
(b) He has never heard of Karanja.
(c) He thinks Karanja betrayed Kihika.
(d) He thinks Karanja stole from him.
2. Why was the woman who ruled Muranga dethroned?
(a) For dancing naked.
(b) For doing a poor job.
(c) For ruling against a man.
(d) For stealing money.
3. Why does Mrs. Thompson kiss her husband on the ear in "Chapter 5"?
(a) To make him laugh at her.
(b) To apologize to him.
(c) To see if he would kiss her back.
(d) To try to feel connected to him.
4. In "Chapter 5," what makes Mrs. Thompson believe her husband has grown apart from her?
(a) The amount of time he spends on work.
(b) His attitude with her.
(c) The time he spends vacationing without her.
(d) His political beliefs.
5. In "Chapter 6," how do the villagers describe Mugo?
(a) As a hero.
(b) As a powerful man.
(c) As an enemy.
(d) As a fool.
6. How did Gikonyo become interested in carpentry?
(a) His father was a carpenter.
(b) His mother couldn't afford school.
(c) He wanted to build his own house as a child.
(d) His teacher was a carpenter.
7. What does the rebel Waiyaki call iron snakes?
(a) White men.
(c) Religious take overs.
8. In "Chapter 6," what farm does Gikonyo want to buy?
(a) One that is near the river.
(b) One that has just been built on.
(c) One that hasn't been used for years.
(d) One that belongs to a British man.
9. How many brothers does Mumbi have?
10. In "Chapter 6," why does Mugo tell Gikonyo he didn't want to leave camp?
(a) He is badly in debt.
(b) He was afraid fo the villagers.
(c) He didn't have to work.
(d) He had no family to return to.
11. Why was Gitoko killed in the war?
(a) Because he was asleep during an attack.
(b) Because he was a poor soldier.
(c) Because he couldn't hear.
(d) Because he stepped on a land mine.
12. In "Chapter 5," what does Mr. Thompson want to tell his wife but doesn't?
(a) About the revolution.
(b) About moving.
(c) About England.
(d) About Dr. Lynd.
13. Why does Gikonyo say he worried Mumbi would turn down his proposal?
(a) Because someone else also proposed.
(b) Because she turned down another proposal.
(c) Because she had never met him.
(d) Because his father was out of his life.
14. How does Mugo feels when he wakes up in "Chapter 1"?
15. In "Chapter 2," what does the narrator say white men spread around Kenya?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. Thompson first come to Africa?
2. When do the Kenyans say the Movement started?
3. What made the agricultural officer dream for a Forest Station?
4. In "Chapter 6," what speech does Mugo remember giving?
5. How is Dr. Henry Van Dyke described?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)