|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Mr. Thompson first come to Africa?
(a) When he turned 50.
(b) After graduating from college.
(c) During World War II.
(d) Before World War II.
2. How did Gikonyo become interested in carpentry?
(a) His mother couldn't afford school.
(b) His teacher was a carpenter.
(c) His father was a carpenter.
(d) He wanted to build his own house as a child.
3. In "Chapter 1," what is the Party?
(a) An out-of-date political party.
(b) A political movement.
(c) A celebration.
(d) The judge.
4. How does Gikonyo impress Mumbi before they are married?
(a) By fixing her father's fence.
(b) By playing the guitar.
(c) By writing her a letter.
(d) By carrying her bags.
5. How is Dr. Henry Van Dyke described?
6. How does Gikonyo make money with grain in "Chapter 6"?
(a) He buys it in bulk and sells it off.
(b) He steals it from people then sells it back to them.
(c) He hides it until it is worth more money.
(d) He tells people it is magic.
7. What happens to Kihika after he burns the police barracks?
(a) He is taken prisoner.
(b) He is never seen again.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is shot.
8. What does porridge remind Mugo of?
(a) Being sick.
(b) The detention center.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) His mother.
9. In "Chapter 4", how many women does Karanja say he has loved?
10. Why does Gikonyo run home in "Chapter 3"?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is a dangerous path.
(c) He is late getting home.
(d) He hears people behind him.
11. How did Koina react when Kihiki died?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He cried.
(c) He didn't care.
(d) He laughed.
12. How does Mugo feels when he wakes up in "Chapter 1"?
13. What country does the narrator say Kihika compared Kenya to?
(c) The United States.
14. In "Chapter 1", what does Githua talk to Mugo about?
(d) The environment.
15. What does Gitoko's mother's hut remind Mugo of?
(a) A fire that damaged the town.
(b) Sleeping with goats.
(c) Raising dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 2" with independence growing, how far has the Movement spread?
2. Where does Mr. Thompson say his life as an administrator began?
3. In "Chapter 6," why does Mugo tell Gikonyo he didn't want to leave camp?
4. What made the agricultural officer dream for a Forest Station?
5. Why does Mrs. Thompson kiss her husband on the ear in "Chapter 5"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)