|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gikonyo go to ask about a loan in "Chapter 6"?
(a) His uncle.
(d) A British consulate.
2. Where did Mr. Thompson first become interested in spreading British culture?
(a) In New York city.
(b) After working in Kenya.
(c) At Oxford.
(d) Before going to Africa.
3. In "Chapter 1", what does Githua talk to Mugo about?
(d) The environment.
4. What was one of the causes for the Movement to begin?
(a) No one knows what started it.
(b) A communist government take over.
(c) White men moving into Kenya.
(d) Wide spread illness.
5. What does Karanja do at the library?
(a) Washes the windows.
(b) Purchases new books.
(c) Makes sure people pay their fines.
(d) Stencils titles on the books.
6. In "Chapter 6," what does Gikonyo make money building?
7. What made the agricultural officer dream for a Forest Station?
(a) He came up with the idea all on his own.
(b) Learning about them in school.
(c) Reading about one in a book.
(d) Seeing one in another forest.
8. How does Mugo feel after General R. visits him in "Chapter 3"?
9. In "Chapter 2," why does Mugo go to a Movement meeting?
(a) He goes there accidentally.
(b) To meet a woman.
(c) To join the army.
(d) To hear a speaker.
10. In "Chapter 6," why does Mugo tell Gikonyo he didn't want to leave camp?
(a) He is badly in debt.
(b) He had no family to return to.
(c) He didn't have to work.
(d) He was afraid fo the villagers.
11. What does the legend of Waiyaki say about his death?
(a) That he is still alive.
(b) That he was buried alive.
(c) That he shot himself.
(d) That he was burned at the stake.
12. Who does Mrs. Thompson believe will take her husband's job at the library?
(a) A woman.
(b) A college student.
(c) No one.
(d) A black man.
13. What does Mrs. Thompson do when Karanja arrives with the message in "Chapter 4"?
(a) She thanks him and leaves the room.
(b) She invites him in.
(c) She has him do chores for her.
(d) She forces him to leave.
14. In "Chapter 4," why does Karanja apologize to Mwaura?
(a) Because he was wrong.
(b) So he won't make an enemy.
(c) So Mwaura will help him get a better job.
(d) Because Mrs. Thompson asks him to.
15. How does Gikonyo make money with grain in "Chapter 6"?
(a) He tells people it is magic.
(b) He steals it from people then sells it back to them.
(c) He hides it until it is worth more money.
(d) He buys it in bulk and sells it off.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 1," how many women come to visit Mugo at his house?
2. How did Koina react when Kihiki died?
3. Why does Mrs. Thompson kiss her husband on the ear in "Chapter 5"?
4. What does Gitoko's mother's hut remind Mugo of?
5. In "Chapter 5," what makes Mrs. Thompson believe her husband has grown apart from her?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)