|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color ao dai did the woman wear that the officer saw in the middle of the road in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 11, with whom does Miss Giau live?
3. What was the fourth largest export business in the Republic of South Vietnam?
4. When did the Trung sisters throw themselves into a river and drown?
5. In Chapter 8, when did the narrator meet her Vietnamese love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the narrator escape Vietnam?
2. Where is Thuy to be buried?
3. In Chapter 10, what did Miss Linh save the narrator from?
4. In Chapter 11, what happened to Miss Giau’s fiancé?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 12, why are the poor spineless?
6. What does the narrator discover in Chapter 13 when she prepared Thuy’s body?
7. In Chapter 12, how does the narrator describe the special shoe that he owns?
8. In Chapter 10, what did the woman in the road tell the officer after he crashed and found himself lying on the ground?
9. In Chapter 11, what frightened Miss Giau during her first Christmas in America?
10. Where did Mr. Cohen live before he lived in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Thap reminds the narrator of a ghost. What do the Vietnamese believe about ghosts? What is there about Thap that reminds the narrator of a ghost? Why does the narrator decide that Thap is not a ghost?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Miss Noi shares her love for fairy tales. Why does Miss Noi like fairy tales? Why does she especially like the word “upon” that begins most fairy tales? Is her story told like a fairy tale? Does she believe that her life has been a fairy tale?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, the narrator makes the comment that Miss Linh has eaten him up. What does the narrator mean by that statement? How many times did Miss Linh help him escape trouble? Was he escaping trouble the last time that he saw her? Why is he still haunted by her?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)