|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, when did the story take place that the narrator tells?
2. How old is the narrator in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 12, what type of music does the narrator say he likes now he is in America?
4. Who is the narrator going to see in Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 8, what was the narrator doing when she met her Vietnamese love?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what frightened Miss Giau during her first Christmas in America?
2. How does the narrator in Chapter 8 feel about her baby being a girl and why?
3. What did the major decide had happened to him when he got back into his car in Chapter 10?
4. What is the memory of fighting that the narrator shares in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Gabrielle believe a woman at the pool wearing a black two-piece suit won a puzzle-solving show?
6. In Chapter 10, what did the woman in the road tell the officer after he crashed and found himself lying on the ground?
7. What did the narrator in Chapter 13 do after her husband died?
8. In Chapter 10, what did the major discover when he awoke for a second time?
9. When and where did Thuy and the narrator meet Ly?
10. In Chapter 9, why does the narrator write to his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, Khanh says that he does not believe in omens and symbols. Why does it seem that Khanh might believe in omens and symbols? What does he observe on his trip to the Houston airport? What connection does he see between signs along the way and what he is going or about to do? On the way back home, why is the symbolism more obvious to Khanh? Even though Khanh states that he isn’t a man who believes in symbols and omens, is that a true statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A different narrator tells each of the stories.
a. What is a common theme in these stories?
b. How does the author unify the different stories?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Miss Noi shares her love for fairy tales. Why does Miss Noi like fairy tales? Why does she especially like the word “upon” that begins most fairy tales? Is her story told like a fairy tale? Does she believe that her life has been a fairy tale?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)