|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what time is it?
2. In Chapter 9 when the narrator remembers stopping to rest, how old does he say his lieutenant was?
3. In Puerto Vallarta, what colors are painted on the airport building?
4. In Chapter 10, where did the officer and his mistress spend the afternoon?
5. In Chapter 10, what was the rank of the officer who visited his mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what did Miss Linh save the narrator from?
2. What is a marriage ceremony like in Vietnam according to the narrator in Chapter 8?
3. As Gabrielle watches a man strapped into a parachute, what does Vinh ask her to remind him?
4. In Chapter 11, what happened to Miss Giau’s fiancé?
5. In Chapter 11, why does Mr. Cohen say that Christmas is not his holiday?
6. What does the narrator discover in Chapter 13 when she prepared Thuy’s body?
7. Where did Mr. Cohen live before he lived in the United States?
8. Why does Gabrielle believe a woman at the pool wearing a black two-piece suit won a puzzle-solving show?
9. Where is Thuy to be buried?
10. In Chapter 9, why does the narrator write to his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the myth of an emperor who goes to the moon is told. What did the emperor find on the moon? Why did he leave? Why did he begin holding a festival on the fifteenth day of the eight month? In what way did the narrator say that she traveled to the moon? What did she find there? What does she think of the world where she lives now? Is she content in the world where she lives?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel were immigrants from Vietnam.
a. What types of struggles did these immigrants have as they adjusted to living in the United States?
b. Did money or a lack of money affect how easily or difficult it was to assimilate into American society?
c. What were some of the ways that the characters adjusted to their new lives?
d. Why was it easier for some to adjust than others?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, the narrator admits that he is a wimpy man. Why is the narrator a wimp? How does his lack of physical presence affect his marriage? What does he do that enhances his status with his wife? How does that affect his relationship with his wife?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)