|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how old was the narrator’s Vietnamese love when they met?
2. In Chapter 12, what type of grass grows in the narrator’s yard?
3. In Puerto Vallarta where do Gabrielle and her husband stay?
4. In Chapter 10 when the officer awakened after seeing a woman in the road, how long had he been unconscious?
5. What type of business does Gabrielle’s husband run in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Thuy to be buried?
2. Where did Mr. Cohen live before he lived in the United States?
3. When and where did Thuy and the narrator meet Ly?
4. Why does the narrator in Chapter 9 find it strange that he escaped Vietnam and so many others didn’t?
5. In Chapter 8, why didn’t the narrator marry Bao?
6. What does the narrator discover in Chapter 13 when she prepared Thuy’s body?
7. What is the memory of fighting that the narrator shares in Chapter 9?
8. How did Gabrielle guess wrongly about which women were on which types of game shows?
9. Why does Gabrielle believe a woman at the pool wearing a black two-piece suit won a puzzle-solving show?
10. How does the narrator in Chapter 8 feel about her baby being a girl and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the younger generation seems to have few or no ties to Vietnam.
a. In Chapter 5, how does Bill’s dad feel about his son being more American than Vietnamese?
b. In Chapter 15, how does Dao feel about everyone except his oldest daughter?
c. Do these men feel that holding onto their heritage is important?
d. Why does the next generation feel that their heritage is not important?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Miss Noi shares her love for fairy tales. Why does Miss Noi like fairy tales? Why does she especially like the word “upon” that begins most fairy tales? Is her story told like a fairy tale? Does she believe that her life has been a fairy tale?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, the narrator makes the comment that Miss Linh has eaten him up. What does the narrator mean by that statement? How many times did Miss Linh help him escape trouble? Was he escaping trouble the last time that he saw her? Why is he still haunted by her?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)