|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did the Chapter 1 narrator lose his wife?
2. In Chapter 7, what does the foyer of the voodoo man’s house smell like?
3. In Chapter 2, what did the narrator’s grandfather take her to see when they lived in Saigon?
4. Where does the Chapter 1 narrator’s ex-wife live?
5. In Chapter 3, what type of car does Khanh drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Miss Noi get to America?
2. What is so special about apples for Miss Noi?
3. What are two things in Chapter 7 that are exceptional about the narrator?
4. What does Francine say about her name?
5. What does Thieu do for a living?
6. When and how did Khanh’s wife’s father die?
7. What did Fran do to try to figure out what cold weather felt like?
8. What was at the Ham Nghi market in Chapter 2?
9. What does Mr. Chinh say about cars he has driven in his lifetime?
10. What was in the room behind a bead curtain in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, snow frightens both Miss Giau and Mr. Cohen. Were both of them used to snow? What traumatic experience made Mr. Cohen afraid of snow? Ever after, what did he think of when he saw snow? When did Miss Giau first see snow? How did it affect her emotionally? How did she compare what she saw to how she felt?
Essay Topic 2
A different narrator tells each of the stories.
a. What is a common theme in these stories?
b. How does the author unify the different stories?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Miss Noi shares her love for fairy tales. Why does Miss Noi like fairy tales? Why does she especially like the word “upon” that begins most fairy tales? Is her story told like a fairy tale? Does she believe that her life has been a fairy tale?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)