|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fran tell her friends that her name is?
2. What type of cigarettes does Thap smoke?
3. In Chapter 7, what is the name of the voodoo man that the narrator consults?
4. Where does the narrator in Chapter 1 work?
5. In Chapter 2, where did the narrator’s father grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thieu do for a living?
2. What does Francine say about her name?
3. What does Thieu try to interest in son in doing when Bill is bored?
4. What is the Vietnamese custom about sharing bad news?
5. What was in the room behind a bead curtain in Chapter 2?
6. Who accompanies Mr. Chinh on the airplane?
7. How does Mr. Green die in Chapter 2?
8. What does Thieu remember about the time when Saigon fell?
9. Why did it take so long to get Francine and her mother out of Vietnam?
10. Why is it important to make the right sound in the Vietnamese language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, the parasail is a symbol of returning to earth, to reality. In what way have Gabrielle and Vinh lost touch with reality? How has it affected their relationship? How has their vacation opened their eyes to the knowledge that they need to return to earth? How does the parasail symbolize that return.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, the narrator has purchased one of the shoes John Lennon was wearing when he died. Why was this relic important enough for the narrator to spend a lot of money to purchase it? In what way does the narrator think this shoe and its mate will help him find where he belongs?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, the narrator is preparing her friend’s body for burial, but also preparing for something else. Why is the narrator preparing his friend’s body for burial? Why does this act remind the narrator of her love for Ly? Why, now, can the narrator finally have her love returned?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)