|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Chapter 1 narrator live?
2. In Chapter 4, what does a GI buy Miss Noi?
3. In Chapter 4, where does Miss Noi live?
4. In Chapter 6, for how long did a little girl think her father was a shadow on the wall?
5. What is the name of the government program that allows a longtime, hard-core Viet Cong to switch sides?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story in Chapter 2?
2. What do Thieu and the former President of the former Republic of Vietnam have in common?
3. What does Francine say about her name?
4. What does Thieu remember about the time when Saigon fell?
5. What was in the room behind a bead curtain in Chapter 2?
6. Who is Thap?
7. What does Thieu try to interest in son in doing when Bill is bored?
8. What did Fran do to try to figure out what cold weather felt like?
9. What does Thieu do for a living?
10. How does Francine describe the French cemetery in Saigon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, the narrator is preparing her friend’s body for burial, but also preparing for something else. Why is the narrator preparing his friend’s body for burial? Why does this act remind the narrator of her love for Ly? Why, now, can the narrator finally have her love returned?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, the myth of an emperor who goes to the moon is told. What did the emperor find on the moon? Why did he leave? Why did he begin holding a festival on the fifteenth day of the eight month? In what way did the narrator say that she traveled to the moon? What did she find there? What does she think of the world where she lives now? Is she content in the world where she lives?
Essay Topic 3
A different narrator tells each of the stories.
a. What is a common theme in these stories?
b. How does the author unify the different stories?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)