|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, where did the narrator’s father grow up?
2. In Chapter 2, where were the narrator’s parrots and grandmother, when her grandfather asked her to go talk to Mr. Green?
3. How old was Miss Noi when she moved to New Orleans?
4. When do the crickets begin to crow where Thieu lives?
5. In Chapter 3, what type of car does Khanh drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Green die in Chapter 2?
2. What is the Vietnamese custom about sharing bad news?
3. Who accompanies Mr. Chinh on the airplane?
4. What happens to the narrator in Chapter 7 when he tries to throw a hog’s bladder over his rival’s house?
5. Why is it important to make the right sound in the Vietnamese language?
6. What are two things in Chapter 7 that are exceptional about the narrator?
7. How does Francine describe the French cemetery in Saigon?
8. In Vietnam, how would men react when they saw Buom on the street?
9. What do Thieu and the former President of the former Republic of Vietnam have in common?
10. What does the narrator in Chapter 1 do during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Thap reminds the narrator of a ghost. What do the Vietnamese believe about ghosts? What is there about Thap that reminds the narrator of a ghost? Why does the narrator decide that Thap is not a ghost?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, the narrator admits that he is a wimpy man. Why is the narrator a wimp? How does his lack of physical presence affect his marriage? What does he do that enhances his status with his wife? How does that affect his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, despite her grandfather’s disparaging remarks about women and their roles, the narrator learns to embrace her femininity. How does Grandfather make the narrator feel like a second-class citizen because of her gender? How does the narrator’s last act in Chapter 2 show that she has embraced being a woman?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)