|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how long has Francine been in the United States?
2. In Chapter 3, what type of contest is The Paradise Club running?
3. What can Ho Chi Minh mean according to Francine?
4. When does the story that Miss Noi tells about her life take place?
5. What time of day did Thieu and his new bride escape from Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was at the Ham Nghi market in Chapter 2?
2. What does Doctor Joseph tell the narrator to do to stop the man who is having an affair with the narrator’s wife?
3. What do Thieu and the former President of the former Republic of Vietnam have in common?
4. What does Mr. Chinh say about cars he has driven in his lifetime?
5. Who is Thap?
6. What is the Vietnamese custom about sharing bad news?
7. In Vietnam, how would men react when they saw Buom on the street?
8. What films are frequently shown in the officers’ club that the Chapter 1 narrator does not enjoy?
9. Why did it take so long to get Francine and her mother out of Vietnam?
10. How does Mr. Green die in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, Khanh says that he does not believe in omens and symbols. Why does it seem that Khanh might believe in omens and symbols? What does he observe on his trip to the Houston airport? What connection does he see between signs along the way and what he is going or about to do? On the way back home, why is the symbolism more obvious to Khanh? Even though Khanh states that he isn’t a man who believes in symbols and omens, is that a true statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Thieu’s son is growing up American. What is his son’s name? How does Bill dress? What are Bill’s interests? How does Bill respond when his father speaks Vietnamese? How does Thieu’s attempt to interest Bill in a Vietnamese boyhood tradition succeed? Is Bill more Vietnamese or more American?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, scents are very important to Dao. How do scents bring back memory? What do scents have to do with his religion? Why are scents used to describe his family? Do the types of scents mentioned depict the characters of family members? What is the last scent that Dao remembers?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)