|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where does the narrator live?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) Los Angeles.
2. What is the name of the apartment complex that refugees were put into in Chapter 12?
(a) Maison Blanc.
(b) Maison Bleu.
3. Where did Thuy and her family live when they first came to the United States?
4. In Chapter 13, what is the name of the mortician?
(a) Mr. Tran.
(b) Mr. Hoa.
(c) Mr. Chan.
(d) Mr. Bahn.
5. In Chapter 12, when does the narrator say that the Trung sisters threw the Chinese out of Vietnam?
(a) 40 B.C.
(b) 15 A.D.
(c) 15 B.C.
(d) 40 A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what city is the setting?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what time is it?
3. How old is the narrator in Chapter 10?
4. What type of fence does the narrator have around her house in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 13, how old does the narrator say that she and Thuy were when they met Ly for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are iguanas popular in Puerto Vallarta?
2. According to the narrator in Chapter 12, why are the poor spineless?
3. How does the narrator in Chapter 8 feel about her baby being a girl and why?
4. In Chapter 9, why does the narrator write to his son?
5. Why does the narrator in Chapter 9 find it strange that he escaped Vietnam and so many others didn’t?
6. In Chapter 11, why does Mr. Cohen say that Christmas is not his holiday?
7. As Gabrielle watches a man strapped into a parachute, what does Vinh ask her to remind him?
8. In Chapter 12, how did the narrator have the courage to leave Vietnam?
9. Why does Gabrielle believe a woman at the pool wearing a black two-piece suit won a puzzle-solving show?
10. What did the narrator in Chapter 13 do after her husband died?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)