|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter 6, where does the phone call require Leafy to go?
2. What are Leafy's instructions from Fanshawe?
3. Who is Leafy's boss?
4. What is the name of Leafy's mother's longtime boyfriend?
5. In Part One, Chapter 3, where does Leafy go to have a special meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter 5, how does Leafy see himself as a human being?
2. Explain the relationship between Great Britain and Kinjanja.
3. In what ways does Adekunle encourage Leafy to know Dr. Murray better?
4. What tragedy strikes the British High Commission in Nkongsamaba, and how is Leafy involved?
5. In Part One, Chapter 1, the reader discovers Leafy is being blackmailed. Explain what is known about this situation in this section of the novel.
6. Why is Leafy to bribe Dr. Murray?
7. In what ways is Leafy selfish?
8. Explain how the death of Innocence symbolizes Leafy's predicament in Africa.
9. What information is revealed by Lee Wan?
10. What is the result of Leafy's response to Dr. Murray not removing Innocence's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Leafy reflects on his life, he is filled with regret. What does Leafy regret? Do you think he regrets coming to Africa? Using examples from the text, explore the theme of regret as it pertains to Leafy's life choices.
Essay Topic 2
Using what you have learned about characterization, write a character analysis of one of the main characters. Include the following: a description, actions, relationship to other characters, motives, strengths, and weaknesses.
Essay Topic 3
How does Leafy's personal behavior and professional behavior collide to set Leafy up for his current state of affairs?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)