|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Zippy's fourth grade teacher?
2. At the party at Rose of Sharon's house, what gift did Zippy get?
3. What did Melinda ask Zippy about their father when Zippy visited her while she was sewing?
4. How did Zippy feel about her brother?
5. What happened when David Lee was wrestling and threw Zippy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Jarvis's Christmas tree? What does it indicate about their family?
2. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
3. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
4. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
5. Why did Zippy's mom get kicked out of Catholic school?
6. What were Zippy's thoughts about a single moment?
7. What did Zippy's grandma tell her new daughter-in-law when she was first married?
8. How did Zippy describe the doorknobs in her parent's bedroom getting stuck together?
9. Why was Zippy's father at home and playing cards with her one day ?
10. What did Zippy mean when her mother rode off on her bike and Zippy thought, "It won't be long now."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Zippy's view of her father? How did she describe the things she believed he was good at? Why do you think he always carried a gun? Do you agree with Zippy's statement, "In short, he was what it meant to be a father and a man in 1971"?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author believe that Mooreland is the same now as it was when she grew up there? What does she say about the current residents? Why do you think she writes this disclaimer in the Prologue of the book? What, in Zippy's personality, is the author trying to protect when she does this?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)