|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Zippy's mother really good at?
2. Who was the undisputed master of hooking rugs in Mooreland?
3. How did Zippy feel about her brother?
4. What instrument did Zippy want to play in the band?
5. What did Zippy listen to at night when she slept next Dan's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
2. What was Zippy's memory of the drive in theater?
3. What does the love of crafts say about the time period that Zippy grew up in?
4. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
5. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
6. What did Zippy's grandma tell her new daughter-in-law when she was first married?
7. What was Dana's life like at home?
8. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
9. What was Sissy's idea of a good Christian and what did Zippy decide to do to become one?
10. How did Zippy view cleaning and parenting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
Essay Topic 2
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
Essay Topic 3
After Zippy's dad confronted his neighbor Reed, he tells Zippy, "There's danger everywhere." What did he mean by this statement to his daughter? What was his bigger message?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)