|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zippy's dad have a copy of hanging on the wall in the house that was decoupaged?
2. What did Mildred dust that surprised Zippy?
3. Where did Zippy go to the drive-in movies?
4. What did Zippy's father win gambling that belonged to Zippy and only Zippy?
5. Who was Zippy talking to when she had her first big swear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the love of crafts say about the time period that Zippy grew up in?
2. Why did Zippy's mom get kicked out of Catholic school?
3. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
4. What was Sissy's idea of a good Christian and what did Zippy decide to do to become one?
5. What was Dana's life like at home?
6. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
7. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
8. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
9. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
10. How did Zippy view cleaning and parenting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zippy discussed her parents arguments in detail. What does this tell you about Zippy's parents and their relationship? In the end, do you think Zippy's parents remained married? Why? Why not? Explain your answers and give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
After Zippy's dad confronted his neighbor Reed, he tells Zippy, "There's danger everywhere." What did he mean by this statement to his daughter? What was his bigger message?
Essay Topic 3
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)