|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Zippy's family was REALLY adopted as a baby?
2. What did Zippy's father lose gambling that belonged to her and only her?
3. What was unique about Dana's parents?
4. Where did Zippy's family keep her pony Tim without permission?
5. What did Dan play in the band?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the ultimate reason Zippy did not get the presents she wanted for Christmas?
2. How did Zippy describe the doorknobs in her parent's bedroom getting stuck together?
3. What did Zippy's grandma tell her new daughter-in-law when she was first married?
4. Describe the Jarvis's Christmas tree? What does it indicate about their family?
5. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
6. What was Dana's life like at home?
7. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
8. How did Zippy view cleaning and parenting?
9. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
10. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 2
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
Essay Topic 3
Does the author believe that Mooreland is the same now as it was when she grew up there? What does she say about the current residents? Why do you think she writes this disclaimer in the Prologue of the book? What, in Zippy's personality, is the author trying to protect when she does this?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)