|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game were Julie and Dana playing on the playground after school one day?
2. What did Dana steal from Zippy?
3. How long did Zippy's family have the dog?
4. What was Dana wearing her first day at Zippy's school?
5. What was Zippy's father really good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
2. What was the ultimate reason Zippy did not get the presents she wanted for Christmas?
3. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
4. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
5. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
6. What was the significance of the hippies moving into town?
7. What did Zippy mean when her mother rode off on her bike and Zippy thought, "It won't be long now."
8. What was the Danny's most prominent characteristic according to Zippy?
9. What was Zippy's memory of the drive in theater?
10. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
Essay Topic 2
What was Zippy's view of her father? How did she describe the things she believed he was good at? Why do you think he always carried a gun? Do you agree with Zippy's statement, "In short, he was what it meant to be a father and a man in 1971"?
Essay Topic 3
How did Zippy's dad prepare to go camping? How would you describe this behavior? Why do you think Zippy's dad went through this ritual? Why was this important to him?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)