|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zippy's mom got mad one time at her father, how did she leave the house?
2. What did Mildred dust that surprised Zippy?
3. What did Zippy trade the hippie couple for to get the dog?
4. What one concession did Zippy want on her new bicycle that her father built for her?
5. What did Zippy's mom put in the cardboard box next to her couch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
2. What was the significance of the hippies moving into town?
3. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
4. What were Zippy's thoughts about a single moment?
5. Why did Zippy's mom believe that Daniel's ESP was the "blocker" type.
6. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
7. Why did Robert Frost's poem mean so much to Zippy?
8. What was Dana's life like at home?
9. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
10. How did Zippy view cleaning and parenting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 2
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
Essay Topic 3
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)