|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Zippy talking to when she had her first big swear?
2. How did Shorty Gard decorate their house at Christmas?
3. What did Melinda ask Zippy about their father when Zippy visited her while she was sewing?
4. Who was the undisputed master of hooking rugs in Mooreland?
5. Where did Zippy go to the drive-in movies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
2. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
3. What instrument did Zippy what to play and why was it not accepted by the music teacher?
4. How did Zippy describe the doorknobs in her parent's bedroom getting stuck together?
5. What was the Danny's most prominent characteristic according to Zippy?
6. What were Zippy's thoughts about a single moment?
7. Why was Zippy's father at home and playing cards with her one day ?
8. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
9. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
10. How did Zippy's father prepare for camping? Why did he always have what he needed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
Essay Topic 3
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)