|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the gambling group meet where the owner was found shot dead?
2. What did Zippy's Christmas tree look like?
3. What was Polly's brother accused of?
4. How did Zippy save Rose from the advances of the music teacher?
5. What was Zippy and Rose's favorite game to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Zippy understand about Dana's parents?
2. What does the love of crafts say about the time period that Zippy grew up in?
3. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
4. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
5. What was Dana's life like at home?
6. How did Zippy confuse the Great Depression with the depression her mother suffered from?
7. Why did Robert Frost's poem mean so much to Zippy?
8. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
9. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
10. Why did Zippy feel everything in her life changed when Dana moved to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Zippy's mom's upbringing. Do you think she had a good childhood? What do you think of the story that her mother told the class about the brain tumor? What does this do to your opinion of Zippy's mother? Do you think her childhood affected her adult life? How?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)