|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zippy feel about her brother?
2. On the night of her sister's slumber party, what did Zippy think she saw in the trees?
3. What did Zippy's mom make for Jenny in ceramics class?
4. What did Zippy's father win gambling that belonged to Zippy and only Zippy?
5. What did Zippy overhear Mrs. O'Dell say to Polly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
2. Why did Zippy feel everything in her life changed when Dana moved to town?
3. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
4. How did Zippy describe the doorknobs in her parent's bedroom getting stuck together?
5. What was the Danny's most prominent characteristic according to Zippy?
6. What was the significance of the hippies moving into town?
7. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
8. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
9. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
10. What does the love of crafts say about the time period that Zippy grew up in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author believe that Mooreland is the same now as it was when she grew up there? What does she say about the current residents? Why do you think she writes this disclaimer in the Prologue of the book? What, in Zippy's personality, is the author trying to protect when she does this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)