Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Zippy's rooster?
2. When Zippy's dad gathered all his friends hunting dogs on his front lawn one night, what did he say he was doing?
3. Where did most people bury their animals, defying city codes?
4. What was the name of the camper that belonged to Zippy's parents?
5. How much did it cost to vote for the Fair Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
2. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
3. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
4. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
5. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
6. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
7. What did Zippy mean when her mother rode off on her bike and Zippy thought, "It won't be long now."
8. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
9. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
10. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)