|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the town of Mooreland, Indiana, located?
2. Why, according to the author, is there so little information about Mooreland during the 60s and 70s?
3. Why, according to Zippy's mom, did she and Zippy's father go to visit the gypsies one night?
4. In 1940, what was the population of Mooreland?
5. What did Petey's rabbit do to Zippy?
Short Essay Questions
1. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
2. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
3. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
4. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
5. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
6. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
7. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
8. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
9. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
10. Who was Julie's voice and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
Essay Topic 2
How did Zippy's dad prepare to go camping? How would you describe this behavior? Why do you think Zippy's dad went through this ritual? Why was this important to him?
Essay Topic 3
With the introduction of Dana and Melinda cleaning the house for her slumber party, what is evident about the Jarvis's house? What dark side does this bring forth? How does this signal Zippy's mom's depression?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)