|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What played on the record player when Zippy's dad taught her to dance the box step?
2. What color was Kia's mother?
3. How did Zippy's sister react to the news that Zippy's chicken was killed?
4. When did most people in Mooreland take their vacations during Zippy's childhood?
5. When Daniel saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed after he'd been waiting to get into the bathroom, what did he do to Melinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
2. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
3. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
4. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
5. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
6. How did the population of Mooreland, Indiana, stay at about three hundred?
7. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
8. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
9. What do you think Doc Holiday really thought of Zippy?
10. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what the author means by the statement that there was no multiculturalism in Mooreland, IN. Please reference her examples. What did Zippy view as multiculturalism? Was it different colors of skin or different classes of people? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What did Zippy think of going to church on Sunday? How did she stall before church? What were some of her tricks? Was Zippy's opinion of church influenced by her father? How? How did her opinion change after he took her to "his" church?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)