|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Big Dave and Debbie's house when a runt pig was born?
2. What did Reed Ball threaten to do to Zippy's dogs if they didn't stop barking?
3. How did Zippy get her name?
4. What was Rose's most important feature that would make her a good artist?
5. What was Petey Scroggs known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did it mean for Zippy to attend Julie's grandfather's funeral?
2. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
3. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
4. Who was Julie's voice and why?
5. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
6. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
7. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
8. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
9. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
10. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 2
If the Jarvis's were poor, Zippy was completely unaware. Give examples from the book that tell the reader that Zippy came from a poor family. Give examples from the book that indicate that Zippy was unaware of their poverty.
Essay Topic 3
How did Zippy's dad prepare to go camping? How would you describe this behavior? Why do you think Zippy's dad went through this ritual? Why was this important to him?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)