|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Zippy's dad say was Melinda's real dad?
2. What stalling games did Zippy play to keep from leaving for church on time?
3. What year did Melinda run for Fair Queen?
4. Which friend of Zippy's had red hair?
5. What did Zippy's father's have everywhere he went?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zippy's interviews go with her mother?
2. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
3. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
4. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
5. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
6. What do you think happened after Zippy's father confronted his neighbor Reed?
7. How did the population of Mooreland, Indiana, stay at about three hundred?
8. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
9. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
10. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 3
Zippy obviously adored her parents. She discussed their flaws in detail but seems to not be bothered by them. How were Zippy's parents good parents? How were they bad parents? What were their strengths? What were their flaws?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)