|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What played on the record player when Zippy's dad taught her to dance the box step?
2. Who lived next door to Zippy with a dog named Lucky?
3. What deformity, according to Zippy's mom, was she born with that they had removed?
4. Which church did Zippy go to every Sunday with her mother?
5. What was the name of the horse that Zippy's dad kept in the shed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
2. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
3. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
4. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
5. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
6. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
7. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
8. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
9. Who was Julie's voice and why?
10. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the introduction of Dana and Melinda cleaning the house for her slumber party, what is evident about the Jarvis's house? What dark side does this bring forth? How does this signal Zippy's mom's depression?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 3
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)