|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of haircut was Zippy's favorite when she was little?
2. Who did Zippy's mom listen to on the television every Sunday?
3. What did Zippy do with the last egg from her chicken?
4. How many four-way stops did the town of Mooreland have?
5. Why did Julie, Zippy's friend, not talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
2. Who was Julie's voice and why?
3. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
4. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
5. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
6. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
7. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
8. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
9. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
10. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the Jarvis's were poor, Zippy was completely unaware. Give examples from the book that tell the reader that Zippy came from a poor family. Give examples from the book that indicate that Zippy was unaware of their poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
Essay Topic 3
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)