|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the town drugstore owner wear?
2. What did Zippy call her most beloved blanket?
3. How much, according to Zippy, did the hoods of Chevrolet vehicles weigh?
4. What deformity, according to Zippy's mom, was she born with that they had removed?
5. What stalling games did Zippy play to keep from leaving for church on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
2. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
3. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
4. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
5. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
6. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
7. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
8. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
9. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
10. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the author means by the statement that there was no multiculturalism in Mooreland, IN. Please reference her examples. What did Zippy view as multiculturalism? Was it different colors of skin or different classes of people? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What was Zippy's view of her father? How did she describe the things she believed he was good at? Why do you think he always carried a gun? Do you agree with Zippy's statement, "In short, he was what it meant to be a father and a man in 1971"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)