|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zippy's father's have everywhere he went?
2. How much did Zippy have in her bank when she opened it to get money to vote for her sister as Fair Queen?
3. Why did Melinda win Fair Queen by default?
4. Who owned the drugstore in town?
5. Which church did Zippy go to every Sunday with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
2. How did the population of Mooreland, Indiana, stay at about three hundred?
3. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
4. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
5. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
6. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
7. What do you think Doc Holiday really thought of Zippy?
8. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
9. What were the expectations about Zippy training Speckles, the chicken?
10. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Zippy's dad confronted his neighbor Reed, he tells Zippy, "There's danger everywhere." What did he mean by this statement to his daughter? What was his bigger message?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)