|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much, according to Zippy, did the hoods of Chevrolet vehicles weigh?
2. Where did most people bury their animals, defying city codes?
3. Who did Zippy's dad say was Melinda's real dad?
4. Who did Zippy's mom listen to on the television every Sunday?
5. How much did Zippy have in her bank when she opened it to get money to vote for her sister as Fair Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
2. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
3. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
4. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
5. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
6. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
7. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
8. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
9. What were the expectations about Zippy training Speckles, the chicken?
10. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance that Zippy did not talk till she was almost three and when she finally did, that she spoke in complete sentences? What were her first words? What is remarkable about that? How did her father react? What do you think of his reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
Essay Topic 3
Zippy obviously adored her parents. She discussed their flaws in detail but seems to not be bothered by them. How were Zippy's parents good parents? How were they bad parents? What were their strengths? What were their flaws?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)