Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel's punishment for what he did to Melinda when she locked him out of the bathroom?
2. How much, according to Zippy, did the hoods of Chevrolet vehicles weigh?
3. What year did Melinda run for Fair Queen?
4. What few businesses did Mooreland have?
5. Who owned the drugstore in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zippy confuse the Great Depression with the depression her mother suffered from?
2. Describe the Jarvis's Christmas tree? What does it indicate about their family?
3. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
4. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
5. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
6. Who was Julie's voice and why?
7. What instrument did Zippy what to play and why was it not accepted by the music teacher?
8. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
9. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
10. Why did Robert Frost's poem mean so much to Zippy?
Essay Topic 1
What did Zippy's dad do for a living? Was it ever made clear to the reader? Did he have a gambling problem? Why did Zippy's mom go to work at the Diner? What does this tell the reader about their financial situation?
Essay Topic 2
Zippy discussed her parents arguments in detail. What does this tell you about Zippy's parents and their relationship? In the end, do you think Zippy's parents remained married? Why? Why not? Explain your answers and give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)