|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel's punishment for what he did to Melinda when she locked him out of the bathroom?
2. How much, according to Zippy, did the hoods of Chevrolet vehicles weigh?
3. What year did Melinda run for Fair Queen?
4. What few businesses did Mooreland have?
5. Who owned the drugstore in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zippy confuse the Great Depression with the depression her mother suffered from?
2. Describe the Jarvis's Christmas tree? What does it indicate about their family?
3. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
4. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
5. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
6. Who was Julie's voice and why?
7. What instrument did Zippy what to play and why was it not accepted by the music teacher?
8. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
9. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
10. Why did Robert Frost's poem mean so much to Zippy?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
Essay Topic 3
What did Zippy think of going to church on Sunday? How did she stall before church? What were some of her tricks? Was Zippy's opinion of church influenced by her father? How? How did her opinion change after he took her to "his" church?
This section contains 1,699 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)