|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the slogan for Melinda in the Fair Parade when she rode in the convertible?
2. What did Mooreland NOT have that New Castle did have?
3. When Daniel could not get into the bathroom one morning before school because Melinda was in there, what did he do?
4. When did most people in Mooreland take their vacations during Zippy's childhood?
5. How often did Edyth wash her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
2. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
3. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
4. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
5. Describe the Jarvis's Christmas tree? What does it indicate about their family?
6. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
7. What was Zippy's view of Jesus? How did she feel about him? What did she think of the portrait that hung in her house?
8. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
9. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
10. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
Essay Topic 1
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 2
Who wrote the letter to Zippy at Christmas and what did it mean for Zippy? What do you think the author of the letter meant by "Thank you for not losing faith" and "Thank you for being so brave tonight"?
Essay Topic 3
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)