|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Zippy's favorite campground?
2. What happened at Big Dave and Debbie's house when a runt pig was born?
3. What kind of haircut was Zippy's favorite when she was little?
4. What grade was Julie's sister in when she died?
5. Why did Julie's punches hurt so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
2. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
3. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
4. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
5. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
6. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
7. What were the expectations about Zippy training Speckles, the chicken?
8. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
9. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
10. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
Essay Topic 2
How did Zippy's dad prepare to go camping? How would you describe this behavior? Why do you think Zippy's dad went through this ritual? Why was this important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)