|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which friend of Zippy's had red hair?
2. Which church did Zippy go to every Sunday with her mother?
3. What played on the record player when Zippy's dad taught her to dance the box step?
4. What was Zippy's cat's name that she thought she'd lost forever but later found inside Petey's house?
5. Where did Reed Ball, Zippy's neighbor, sit all the time and watch her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
2. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
3. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
4. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
5. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
6. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
7. What were the expectations about Zippy training Speckles, the chicken?
8. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
9. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
10. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zippy tended to exaggerate at certain times in the book. Is there a pattern to this behavior? What is it? When does Zippy exaggerate? How does Zippy exaggerate? Does it add to the story? How?
Essay Topic 2
Zippy discussed her parents arguments in detail. What does this tell you about Zippy's parents and their relationship? In the end, do you think Zippy's parents remained married? Why? Why not? Explain your answers and give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
With the introduction of Dana and Melinda cleaning the house for her slumber party, what is evident about the Jarvis's house? What dark side does this bring forth? How does this signal Zippy's mom's depression?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)