|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chosen Fair Queen during the ceremony when Melinda ran?
2. How many churches were in Mooreland?
3. What was Zippy wearing in her second grade picture?
4. What was the name of the horse that Zippy's dad kept in the shed?
5. When Zippy's dad gathered all his friends hunting dogs on his front lawn one night, what did he say he was doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
2. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
3. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
4. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
5. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
6. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
7. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
8. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
9. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
10. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zippy discussed her parents arguments in detail. What does this tell you about Zippy's parents and their relationship? In the end, do you think Zippy's parents remained married? Why? Why not? Explain your answers and give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Zippy's mom's upbringing. Do you think she had a good childhood? What do you think of the story that her mother told the class about the brain tumor? What does this do to your opinion of Zippy's mother? Do you think her childhood affected her adult life? How?
Essay Topic 3
If the Jarvis's were poor, Zippy was completely unaware. Give examples from the book that tell the reader that Zippy came from a poor family. Give examples from the book that indicate that Zippy was unaware of their poverty.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)