|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What few businesses did Mooreland have?
2. How much did Zippy have in her bank when she opened it to get money to vote for her sister as Fair Queen?
3. What was Ruth Huff's collie's name?
4. What did Zippy learn from the T.V. show Marcus Welby, M.D. that would kill her dad?
5. What was Zippy's father's reaction to her chicken being killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
2. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
3. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
4. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
5. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
6. Why do you think Zippy's mom was absent during the night of the "dog-sitting?"
7. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
8. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
9. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
10. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jule Newman's parent's home. What did Zippy do there? Why was the home so inviting? Was it the actual structure or was it Julie's family? What were some of the activities that Julie and Zippy did while at Julie's house? Why did the activities make this place so special for Zippy? Why was it such a haven for Zippy?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author believe that Mooreland is the same now as it was when she grew up there? What does she say about the current residents? Why do you think she writes this disclaimer in the Prologue of the book? What, in Zippy's personality, is the author trying to protect when she does this?
Essay Topic 3
Zippy discussed her parents arguments in detail. What does this tell you about Zippy's parents and their relationship? In the end, do you think Zippy's parents remained married? Why? Why not? Explain your answers and give specific examples from the text.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)