|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the slogan for Melinda in the Fair Parade when she rode in the convertible?
2. What did the Driftwood smell like to Zippy?
3. What did dinner at Big Dave and Debbie's house always involve?
4. What did the mud room at Big Dave and Debbie's house hold?
5. When Daniel could not get into the bathroom one morning before school because Melinda was in there, what did he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
2. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
3. What did Zippy's mom mean when she said usually "people aren't thinking about you at all"?
4. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
5. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
6. What did Zippy learn about her dad from her adult sister?
7. How did Zippy describe the doorknobs in her parent's bedroom getting stuck together?
8. Who was Julie's voice and why?
9. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
10. When Zippy asked her sister about the child with disabilities, how did her sister handle it? How did this show maturity in her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Zippy's dad prepare to go camping? How would you describe this behavior? Why do you think Zippy's dad went through this ritual? Why was this important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Although the author indicates that Mooreland was not connected to the outside world, what happened in this town that linked it with other towns across the country and gives the reader a sense of the year?
Essay Topic 3
What was Zippy's view of her father? How did she describe the things she believed he was good at? Why do you think he always carried a gun? Do you agree with Zippy's statement, "In short, he was what it meant to be a father and a man in 1971"?
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)