|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the slogan for Melinda in the Fair Parade when she rode in the convertible?
2. What was Ruth Huff's collie's name?
3. What did Reed Ball threaten to do to Zippy's dogs if they didn't stop barking?
4. How far away is New Castle from Mooreland?
5. What color crayon did the kindergarten teacher give Julie on her first day of class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
2. What did it mean for Zippy to attend Julie's grandfather's funeral?
3. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
4. How did Zippy's interviews go with her mother?
5. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
6. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
7. Why did Zippy think about her did leaving everyday but not mentioning work?
8. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
9. How did Zippy view the story about how Julie's parents met, married, and lost their daughter Connie?
10. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Zippy's mom's upbringing. Do you think she had a good childhood? What do you think of the story that her mother told the class about the brain tumor? What does this do to your opinion of Zippy's mother? Do you think her childhood affected her adult life? How?
Essay Topic 2
When did Zippy's mother show her independence? Do you think she returned to college? What do you think happened after Zippy's mother left that day on her bike? How do you think it changed the relationship between the mother and father?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Julie's not talking to Zippy's not talking? At what stages of their lives did they do this? What is significant about this comparison? What did this say about their friends? How did Zippy know what Julie was thinking?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)