|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zippy's father lose gambling that belonged to her and only her?
(a) A ruby ring.
(b) Zippy's bracelet.
(c) A twenty-five dollar savings bond.
(d) A dresser from Zippy's room.
2. What did the Jarvis's NEVER eat on?
(a) The kitchen counter.
(b) Their laps.
(c) T.V trays.
(d) The dining room table and the breakfast bar.
3. What did Zippy's mom get in trouble for in Catholic School?
(a) For talking back to a teacher.
(b) For skipping classes.
(c) For wearing her skirts too short.
(d) For asking if God left when the candles went out.
4. What did Zippy's Christmas tree look like?
(a) It was fake green and crunched up from years of use.
(b) It was made out of silver tinsel.
(c) It was white and rotated on a stand.
(d) It was green spruce bought at the lot on the corner.
5. What did Dana's parents do after work?
(a) They went to bars to drink.
(b) The went bowling.
(c) They went home to get ready for the next day.
(d) They gambled at the riverboats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Dana and Zippy play when speaking?
2. What special talent, according to Zippy, did her mother have?
3. Who in Zippy's family was REALLY adopted as a baby?
4. What astrological sign was Zippy?
5. What was Zippy's father really good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zippy think of her father's belief in God after he took Zippy to his "church?"
2. What was the ultimate reason Zippy did not get the presents she wanted for Christmas?
3. Why did Robert Frost's poem mean so much to Zippy?
4. Why did Zippy's mother tell Zippy she believed in God because she had to?
5. What happened to Zippy's grandmother's house? How was it moved? How does the fact that it is on a graveyard affect the story and image of Zippy's grandmother?
6. Why was Zippy so stunned by the question Melinda asks about their father: "Is he drinking?"
7. How did Zippy view cleaning and parenting?
8. How much did Zippy understand about Dana's parents?
9. Why was Zippy's father at home and playing cards with her one day ?
10. How did Polly's brother connect Mooreland to the rest of the world for the reader?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)