|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom was the Count raised?
2. Where does the Count presume the stranger in the separate dining room is from in Book 3: "An Alliance"?
3. When did the Germans launch Operation Barbarossa?
4. What do the Count and Sofia have for lunch at the Piazza in Book 3: "Adjustments"?
5. Whose musical composition does Sofia play in the competition in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Count happy there will not be a pre-set seating arrangement for the meeting in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
2. What does the Count take from the barber shop in Book 5: “Achilles Agonistes”? How does he manage this feat?
3. What does Richard Vanderwhile solicit the Count to do in Book 4: “1952: America”?
4. What film do the Count and Osip watch in Book 5: “An Association”? What are their impressions?
5. Why does the Count become upset when he first finds Sofia and Viktor in the ballroom in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
6. Why has Sofia been invited to Paris in Book 5: “1954: Applause and Acclaim”?
7. How does Sofia describe her method of achieving mood with her piano playing in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
8. Why does the Bishop summon the Count to his office in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
9. Who arrives with an offer for Sofia in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”? What becomes of this situation?
10. How is Sofia's demeanor described when she first arrives to stay with the Count in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of cultural change in A Gentleman in Moscow. How does the author develop this theme through characters? How is it developed through setting? What statement is the author making regarding cultural change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language styles in A Gentleman in Moscow. What are examples of literary devices employed by the author in this work? How does each of these examples serve the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Osip Ivanovich Glebnikov in the novel. Why does Osip come to the Count for assistance? Why does the Count assist him? Is Osip a likable character? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)