|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the colonel claim to be in Book 3: "An Alliance"?
2. What was the name of the Grand Duke Demidov's butler?
3. What does the interior artist surmise "a room is the summation of" in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
4. In what month does Book 4: "1952: America" begin?
5. In Book 3: "Adjustments" the narrator uses a simile in describing Sofia, saying, "When the Count served breakfast, she nibbled her biscuits like" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the Yellow Room when the Count enters to serve the private party in Book 3: “An Alliance”?
2. Why has Sofia been invited to Paris in Book 5: “1954: Applause and Acclaim”?
3. Why does the Count meet with Pudgy Webster in Book 5: “Arrivederci”?
4. How does Sofia describe her method of achieving mood with her piano playing in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
5. How has the setting of the hotel bar changed in Book 3: "Absinthe"? Why has it changed?
6. Why does the Count become upset when he first finds Sofia and Viktor in the ballroom in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
7. Who arrives at the hospital to assist the Count in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
8. What does Katerina give to the Count in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”? Why?
9. How does the Count manage to be assigned to the special meeting at the Boyarsky in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
10. What oversights does the Count made during his first lunch with Sofia in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of interpersonal relationships in A Gentleman in Moscow. What are the major relationships that are formed in the course of the story? How do these relationships impact those who are involved in them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of finding purpose in life in A Gentleman in Moscow. In what ways is this theme embodied through the Count's character? How does the author explore this theme through symbolism, setting, and imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the impact of the arts as seen in A Gentleman in Moscow. What role do the arts play in this story? What statement do you think the author is making regarding the arts and their impacts on society, government, and individuals?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)