|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the American general described as being from in Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
2. With whom is Sofia said to be meeting in the ballroom in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
3. By what name does the colonel introduce himself in Book 3: "An Alliance"?
4. In Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim," the Count tells Sofia, "For what matters in life is not whether we receive a round of applause; what matters is" what?
5. How many soldiers were deployed from Odessa to the Baltic in Operaton Barbarossa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the setting of the hotel bar changed in Book 3: "Absinthe"? Why has it changed?
2. Why is Mishka exiled? What sentence does he receive?
3. What announcement is made by Malyshev in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
4. Why does the Count return to the Italians' room a second time in Book 5: “Arrivederci”? What happens when he does?
5. What does Richard Vanderwhile solicit the Count to do in Book 4: “1952: America”?
6. How is Sofia's demeanor described when she first arrives to stay with the Count in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
7. What film do the Count and Osip watch in Book 5: “An Association”? What are their impressions?
8. How does Sofia describe her method of achieving mood with her piano playing in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
9. Why does the Count borrow Anna's suitcases in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting”?
10. What oversights does the Count made during his first lunch with Sofia in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Count's relationship with Anna Urbanova in A Gentleman in Moscow. When and where do they meet? What is the nature of their relationship? How does their relationship change and evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Count's relationship with Nina. How do the Count and Nina meet? How old is Nina when she befriends the Count? What becomes of Nina?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative style of A Gentleman in Moscow. From what narrative point of view is the story related? In what tense is it related? Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the story from this perspective?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)