|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What play does Anna Urbanova perform in, in Book 5: "An Announcement"?
2. How old is Sofia said to be in the opening of Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
3. What does the interior artist surmise "a room is the summation of" in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
4. Where are the Count and Sofia going to dine in the opening of Book 4: "1952: America"?
5. Who is the director of the Red October Youth Orchestra that visits the Count in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ingredients do the members of the Triumvirate obtain for their special dish? What is the special dish?
2. How does Sofia describe her method of achieving mood with her piano playing in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
3. How has the setting of the hotel bar changed in Book 3: "Absinthe"? Why has it changed?
4. What "game" does Sofia play with the Count, as described in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
5. Who arrives with an offer for Sofia in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”? What becomes of this situation?
6. Why has Sofia been invited to Paris in Book 5: “1954: Applause and Acclaim”?
7. Why does the Count borrow Anna's suitcases in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting”?
8. How is Sofia's performance in the school competition described in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”?
9. Why is the Count happy there will not be a pre-set seating arrangement for the meeting in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
10. Why is Mishka upset about removing the passage from the book he is editing in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in A Gentleman in Moscow. How does the author employ irony for humorous effect in the novel? How is irony employed to develop suspense? What types of irony are seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Count's relationship with the staff members of the Boyarsky. When does the Count begin working at the restaurant? How would you characterize his relationships with the cook and maitre d? How does he feel about the management?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Count's relationship with Nina. How do the Count and Nina meet? How old is Nina when she befriends the Count? What becomes of Nina?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)