|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sofia in Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
2. Who does Sofia say she thinks about before playing the composition in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
3. At what time does the Count take a chair in the manager's office of the Metropol Hotel in the opening of Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
4. Where was Sofia's musical competition held, according to the narrator in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
5. Who waits on the Count and Sofia at the Piazza in Book 3: "Adjustments"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard Vanderwhile solicit the Count to do in Book 4: “1952: America”?
2. Who arrives at the hospital to assist the Count in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
3. Why is Mishka upset about removing the passage from the book he is editing in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting?
4. How has the process of taking orders changed at the Boyarsky in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”?
5. Why is the Count upset when Sofia points out Anna at dinner in Book 4: “1952: America”?
6. What film do the Count and Osip watch in Book 5: “An Association”? What are their impressions?
7. Why is Mishka exiled? What sentence does he receive?
8. How has the setting of the hotel bar changed in Book 3: "Absinthe"? Why has it changed?
9. What announcement is made by Malyshev in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
10. Why does the Count meet with Pudgy Webster in Book 5: “Arrivederci”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of finding purpose in life in A Gentleman in Moscow. In what ways is this theme embodied through the Count's character? How does the author explore this theme through symbolism, setting, and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Osip Ivanovich Glebnikov in the novel. Why does Osip come to the Count for assistance? Why does the Count assist him? Is Osip a likable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Count's relationship with the staff members of the Boyarsky. When does the Count begin working at the restaurant? How would you characterize his relationships with the cook and maitre d? How does he feel about the management?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)