|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the week does the Count go for his weekly trim at the hotel barber?
2. Of the ballroom, the narrator says in Book 1: "An Assembly," "Of course, there is now much more canvas than cashmere in the room, more gray than gold. But is the patch on the elbow really that much different from" what?
3. What is the room number to which Anna Urbanova invites the Count to visit her in Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
4. What are the names of the bellhops at the Hotel Metropol?
5. Who is holding their second meeting while the Count and Nina spy from the ballroom balcony in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Count's sentence that is decreed in the opening of the novel? What crime did the Count commit?
2. How does the Count alter his living quarters in Book 1: “Around and About”?
3. What are the Count's impressions of the Bishop when he first encounters him?
4. What experiments is Nina conducting when the Count encounters her in Book 2: “1926: Adieu”?
5. How is the Count's first encounter with the actress described in Book 2: “1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary”?
6. Whose meeting do the Count and Nina eavesdrop on in Book 1: “An Assembly”? Where is the meeting held?
7. How is Nina described when the Count first befriends her?
8. Why does Mr. Halecki call the Count to his office in Book 1: “An Assembly”?
9. How is the lieutenant described in the Count's story in Book 2: “1926: Adieu”?
10. How does the narrative style change in Book 2: “1926: Adieu”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Mishka in A Gentleman in Moscow. Where did Mishka and the Count first meet? For how long have they known one another? What is Mishka's role in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Count's relationship with the staff members of the Boyarsky. When does the Count begin working at the restaurant? How would you characterize his relationships with the cook and maitre d? How does he feel about the management?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mishka's exile to Siberia. What causes Mishka to be sentenced to exile? For how long is he exiled? What impacts does his exile have on his character?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)