|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room is the Count standing when Book 2: "1926: Adieu" begins?
2. In what room of the hotel has the Count met with Anna in Book 3: "An Afternoon Assignation"?
3. At what time does the narrator describe Count Rostov being escorted through the gates of the Kremlin onto Red Square in Book 1: "1922: An Ambassador"?
4. Who is the barber of the Metropol Hotel?
5. How old is Nina in Book 2: "1926: Adieu"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Count encounter on the roof of the Metropol in Book 2: “1926: Adieu”? What impact does this encounter have?
2. How does the narrator describe Anna's mindset in Book 2: "Addendum"?
3. How is the lieutenant described in the Count's story in Book 2: “1926: Adieu”?
4. How has the Count's position within the Metropol changed with the opening of Book 3?
5. What does the Count assert about etiquette in Book 1: “Anyway…”?
6. Where is Nina going in Book 3: “Arachne's Art”? Why?
7. Why does the Count visit Marina's work room in Book 1: “An Assembly”?
8. How is the Piazza described? Where is it located?
9. Whose meeting do the Count and Nina eavesdrop on in Book 1: “An Assembly”? Where is the meeting held?
10. How is the Boyarsky described? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of the Count in A Gentleman in Moscow. How old is the Count when the novel begins? How old is he when it ends? How does the Count's character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Count's relationship with the staff members of the Boyarsky. When does the Count begin working at the restaurant? How would you characterize his relationships with the cook and maitre d? How does he feel about the management?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political changes in Russia between 1922 and 1930. How are these changes demonstrated in A Gentleman in Moscow? How do these changes impact the characters in the novel?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)