|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The director of what theatre lured Anna Ubanova back to the stage in 1948?
(a) The Lortel Theatre.
(b) The Kiev Theatre.
(c) The Maly Theatre.
(d) The Alton Theatre.
2. What is the name of the Count's sister whose portrait hangs in his study?
3. By whom was the Count raised?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His grandmother.
4. Whose work will Sofia be performing with the orchestra of the Moscow Conservatory in Paris in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim"?
5. How many seats are arranged for the table at the special dinner in Book 5: "An Announcement"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rushes up to the Count and tells him that he must convince Sofia to perform overseas in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim"?
2. In Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates," when the Count learns that Sofia won, the narrator says, "For the first time in twenty years, the Count let out a shout." What does the Count shout out?
3. In Book 3: "Adjustments" the narrator uses a simile in describing Sofia, saying, "When the Count served breakfast, she nibbled her biscuits like" what?
4. What color is Sofia's hair described as in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
5. What animals have been set loose on the fourth floor of the Metropol in Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Count become upset when he first finds Sofia and Viktor in the ballroom in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
2. What does the Count take from the barber shop in Book 5: “Achilles Agonistes”? How does he manage this feat?
3. Why does the Count borrow Anna's suitcases in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting”?
4. What "game" does Sofia play with the Count, as described in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
5. What is unusual about the Yellow Room when the Count enters to serve the private party in Book 3: “An Alliance”?
6. Who arrives with an offer for Sofia in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”? What becomes of this situation?
7. How is Sofia's demeanor described when she first arrives to stay with the Count in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
8. What film do the Count and Osip watch in Book 5: “An Association”? What are their impressions?
9. How does the Count manage to be assigned to the special meeting at the Boyarsky in Book 5: “An Announcement”?
10. Why does the Bishop summon the Count to his office in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)