|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers were deployed from Odessa to the Baltic in Operaton Barbarossa?
(a) Over 3 million.
(b) About 1 million.
(c) Over 4 million.
(d) About 2 million.
2. What corporation does Pudgy Webster's father own?
(a) The American Refrigeration Company.
(b) The American Vending Machine Company.
(c) The South Convention Watch Company.
(d) The American Wonder Bread Company.
3. In Book 5: "Anecdotes," the Count shares to pieces of parental advice with Sofia, including "Montaigne's maxim that the surest sign of wisdom is constant" what?
4. What does the interior artist surmise "a room is the summation of" in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
(a) "The wood it is made of."
(b) "All that has happened inside it."
(c) "The lighting in it."
(d) "All who have lived in it."
5. What kind of wine is served to the Count and the stranger in the separate dining room prior to dinner in Book 3: "An Alliance"?
(b) Cabernet Sauvignon.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does Book 5: "Anecdotes" begin?
2. The narrator says in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim," "It is a well-known fact that of all of the species on earth Homo sapiens is among the most" what?
3. Where are the Count and Sofia going to dine in the opening of Book 4: "1952: America"?
4. Where will Sofia be performing with the orchestra of the Moscow Conservatory in Paris in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim"?
5. How long did it take Hitler's troops to march from the Russian frontier to the outskirts of Moscow in Operation Barbarossa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the Yellow Room when the Count enters to serve the private party in Book 3: “An Alliance”?
2. Why does the Count borrow Anna's suitcases in Book 3: “Ascending, Alighting”?
3. What does Richard Vanderwhile solicit the Count to do in Book 4: “1952: America”?
4. How has the setting of the hotel bar changed in Book 3: "Absinthe"? Why has it changed?
5. How is Sofia's demeanor described when she first arrives to stay with the Count in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
6. What does Katerina give to the Count in Book 4: “1953: Apostles and Apostates”? Why?
7. How does Sofia describe her method of achieving mood with her piano playing in Book 4: “1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro”?
8. Why does the Bishop summon the Count to his office in Book 3: “Antics, Antitheses, an Accident”?
9. What oversights does the Count made during his first lunch with Sofia in Book 3: “Adjustments”?
10. What does the Count take from the barber shop in Book 5: “Achilles Agonistes”? How does he manage this feat?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)