|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Sofia directed to report to the Red October Youth Orchestra, according to the official letter that the Count receives in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
(a) September 1.
(b) October 1.
(c) June 1.
(d) March 1.
2. Where was Sofia's musical competition held, according to the narrator in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
(a) The Palace Hall.
(b) The school cafeteria.
(c) The Grand Hall.
(d) The Kopernik Hall.
3. At what time does the Count say the performance was scheduled to end in the beginning of Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
4. Who does Sofia say she thinks about before playing the composition in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The Count.
5. What is described in Book 5: "An Announcement" as "one of the most intricate and purposeful constructions ever manufactured by man"?
(a) The Republican Party.
(c) The Whig Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
6. How old is the Count when Sofia comes into his care?
7. Who is the friend that the Count toasts to over Sofia's piano success in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
(a) Anna Urbanova.
(b) Richard Vanderwhile.
(c) Osip Ivanovich Glebnikov.
(d) Nina Kulikova.
8. At what time does the Count approach the Shalyapin in the opening of Book 3: "Absinthe"?
9. How old is the Count said to be in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
10. Where does the Count keep money hidden in a secret compartment in his room?
(a) His book of Montaigne essays.
(b) His book of Anna Karenina.
(c) His father's twice-chiming clock.
(d) The Grand Duke's desk legs.
11. At what time does the Count take a chair in the manager's office of the Metropol Hotel in the opening of Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
12. What month is it when the Count revisits the Metropol's basement for the first time in years in Book 5: "Achilles Agonistes"?
13. In Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates," when the Count learns that Sofia won, the narrator says, "For the first time in twenty years, the Count let out a shout." What does the Count shout out?
14. In Book 3: "Adjustments" the narrator uses a simile in describing Sofia, saying, "When the Count served breakfast, she nibbled her biscuits like" what?
(a) "A squirrel."
(b) "A Trappist."
(c) A mouse."
(d) "A rabbit."
15. On what date does the Count confirm that Sofia will be in Paris, France, in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim"?
(a) March 16.
(b) July 12.
(c) May 3.
(d) June 21.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count borrow from Anna in Book 3: "Ascending, Alighting"?
2. What is the name of the Count's sister whose portrait hangs in his study?
3. What corporation does Pudgy Webster's father own?
4. What word is repeatedly used to describe Sofia's demeanor in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
5. How old is Sofia in Book 3: "Antics, Antitheses, an Accident"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)