|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Andrey and Emile bring for Sofia after her competition in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
(a) A roast goose.
(b) A bottle of champagne.
(c) A pie.
(d) A cake.
2. What word is repeatedly used to describe Sofia's demeanor in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
3. To whom does the Count take Sofia to see if she will watch over her in Book 3: "Ascending, Alighting"?
4. How old was Ilya when he was promoted to sous-chef at the Metropol?
5. What kind of wine is served to the Count and the stranger in the separate dining room prior to dinner in Book 3: "An Alliance"?
(a) Cabernet Sauvignon.
6. What is described in Book 5: "An Announcement" as "one of the most intricate and purposeful constructions ever manufactured by man"?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(d) The Whig Party.
7. Who is the director of the Red October Youth Orchestra that visits the Count in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
(a) Mr. Halecki.
(b) Mr. Duras.
(c) Mr. Glebnikov.
(d) Mr. Frinovsky.
8. What month is it when the Count revisits the Metropol's basement for the first time in years in Book 5: "Achilles Agonistes"?
9. Where are the Count and Sofia going to dine in the opening of Book 4: "1952: America"?
(a) The Piazza.
(b) The Spotted Dog.
(c) The Shalyapin.
(d) The Boyarsky.
10. In Book 3: "Adjustments" the narrator uses a simile in describing Sofia, saying, "When the Count served breakfast, she nibbled her biscuits like" what?
(a) "A squirrel."
(b) "A rabbit."
(c) "A Trappist."
(d) A mouse."
11. At precisely what time do the doors open for the special dinner in Book 5: "An Announcement"?
12. What is Emile's newest specialty that is served to the Count and Sofia in Book 5: "Anecdotes"?
(a) Veal a la Sofia.
(b) Goose a la Sofia.
(c) Roast beef a la Sofia.
(d) Duck a la Sofia.
13. What does the Count borrow from Anna in Book 3: "Ascending, Alighting"?
(a) Her pillows.
(b) Her room key.
(c) Her suitcases.
(d) Her passport.
14. Where is Pudgy Webster's father's company headquartered?
(a) Los Angeles, CA.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Montclair, NJ.
(d) Hazelwood, PA.
15. Sofia plays the music of what composer when the Count enters the ballroom in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hiding game that the Count plays with Sofia in Book 3: "Ascending, Alighting," what item does he hide?
2. With whom is Sofia said to be meeting in the ballroom in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
3. Where has Sofia's venue in Paris been changed to in Book 5: "Anecdotes"?
4. At what precise time does Book 5: "An Announcement" begin?
5. Who delivers the news that Sofia won in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)