|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Halecki's first name?
2. What verb is called into question in the charter by the members of the meeting in the ballroom in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
3. What does the Count order at the dining room adjacent to the lobby of the Hotel Metropole in Book 1: "An Acquaintanceship"?
(a) Okroshka and filet of sole.
(b) Lamb stew and potatoes.
(c) Vichyssoise and veal.
(d) A Caesar salad and potato cakes.
4. Of the ballroom, the narrator says in Book 1: "An Assembly," "Of course, there is now much more canvas than cashmere in the room, more gray than gold. But is the patch on the elbow really that much different from" what?
(a) "The sceptor and the crown?"
(b) "The epaulette on the shoulder?"
(c) "The suit and tie?"
(d) "The crown on the head?"
5. On what date does Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary" begin?
(a) July 2.
(b) June 21.
(c) March 12.
(d) June 13.
6. At what time does the Count awaken in the beginning of Book 3: "1930"?
7. In what room is the Count standing when Book 2: "1926: Adieu" begins?
(a) Suite 241.
(b) Suite 426.
(c) Suite 317.
(d) Suite 329.
8. In Book 3: "An Afternoon Assignation," the narrator states, "But art is the most unnatural minion of the state. Not only is it created by fanciful people who tire of repetition even more quickly than they tire of being told what to do, it is also vexingly" what?
9. When was Anna Ubanova discovered in a regional theater on the outskirts of Odessa, according to the narrator in Book 3: "An Afternoon Assignation"?
10. By what firm was the Count's father's clock made to order?
11. What date is described in Book 3: "Arachne's Art" as "the launch of the First Five-Year Plan"?
(a) January 3, 1928.
(b) March 12, 1902.
(c) June 12, 1887.
(d) September, 20, 1885.
12. What is Anna Urbanova's profession?
(a) She is a pianist.
(b) She is a dancer.
(c) She is a singer.
(d) She is an actress.
13. Who brings in room service when the Count visits Anna in Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
14. Where is the Count planning on meeting with Mishka in the beginning of Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
(a) The hotel coffee shop.
(b) The Shalyapin.
(c) The Piazza.
(d) The Boyarsky.
15. At what time does the narrator describe Count Rostov being escorted through the gates of the Kremlin onto Red Square in Book 1: "1922: An Ambassador"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what province does the Count tell Anna he spent a good part of his youth in Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
2. Who is holding their second meeting while the Count and Nina spy from the ballroom balcony in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
3. What bridge does the Count describe Princess Golitsyn's carriage crossing in his story to Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..."?
4. In what room of the hotel has the Count met with Anna in Book 3: "An Afternoon Assignation"?
5. Whose magical ball of thread led Theseas safely from the lair of the Minotaur, according to the narrator in Book 1: "Around and About"?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)