|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 3: "Arachne's Art," the narrator asserts, "History is the business of identifying momentous events from the comfort of" what?
(a) "A high-back chair."
(b) "A perception of thought."
(c) "A throne."
(d) "A great wealth."
2. What is Mr. Halecki's first name?
3. How old is Nina in Book 2: "1926: Adieu"?
4. Why does the Count go to see Marina in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
(a) To have his pants repaired.
(b) To have his jacket repaired.
(c) To get a shave.
(d) To get a haircut.
5. What Shakespearean play does the author allude to when describing the Count's appointment in Book 1: "An Appointment"?
(b) Henry V.
(c) Twelfth Night.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
6. Why does Mr. Halecki call the Count to his office in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
(a) To tell him that he is being fired as headwaiter at the Boyarsky.
(b) To tell him that he is being evicted from the hotel.
(c) To tell him that the KGB has been asking for him.
(d) To tell him that the staff has been instructed not to use honorifics when addressing him.
7. On what date does Book 1: "Around and About" open?
(a) September 12.
(b) July 12.
(c) March 13.
(d) June 21.
8. On what day of the week does the Count go for his weekly trim at the hotel barber?
9. When the Count enters the ballroom in Book 2: "1926: Adieu," Nina explains that she and her friend are testing the "hypotheses of two renowned mathematicians in a single experiment." Who are the mathematicians being tested?
(a) Aristotle and Plato.
(b) Pythagoras and Einstein.
(c) Einstein and Galileo.
(d) Newton and Galileo.
10. By what name does the Count call the one-eyed cat at the Hotel Metropole?
11. What verb is called into question in the charter by the members of the meeting in the ballroom in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
12. By what firm was the Count's father's clock made to order?
13. The Count tells Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..." "Manners are not like" what?
(b) "Gold coins."
14. Whose magical ball of thread led Theseas safely from the lair of the Minotaur, according to the narrator in Book 1: "Around and About"?
15. What restaurant at the Hotel Metropole is described in Book 1: "An Acquaintanceship" as "that fabled retreat on the second floor"?
(a) The Boyarsky.
(b) The Idlehour.
(c) The Piazza.
(d) The Shalyapin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna take a train in the beginning of Book 2: "Addendum"?
2. What is the temperature of the ballroom said to be in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
3. Where is the Count to meet Nina for his appointment in Book 1: "Anyway..."?
4. Who is the florist at the Hotel Metropol?
5. Who is the boy that is with Nina in the ballroom when the Count enters in Book 2: "1926: Adieu"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)