|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: "Anyway..." - "Around and About".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the book of essays that the Count is reading in the beginning of Book 1: "An Appointment"?
2. What bridge does the Count describe Princess Golitsyn's carriage crossing in his story to Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..."?
(a) The Zhivopisny Bridge.
(b) The Lomonosov Bridge.
(c) The Palace Bridge.
(d) The Russky Bridge.
3. Where was Princess Golitsyn on her way to a ball in the Count's story to Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..."?
(a) The Vernots'.
(b) The Chekhovs'.
(c) The Tushins'.
(d) The Voltovs'.
4. When was Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov born?
(a) October 24, 1889.
(b) September, 20, 1885.
(c) March 12, 1902.
(d) June 12, 1887.
5. The Count tells Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..." "Manners are not like" what?
(a) "Gold coins."
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the week does the Count go for his weekly trim at the hotel barber?
2. Whose magical ball of thread led Theseas safely from the lair of the Minotaur, according to the narrator in Book 1: "Around and About"?
3. What Shakespearean play does the author allude to when describing the Count's appointment in Book 1: "An Appointment"?
4. What does Count Rostov give as his current address in the court transcript that appears before the opening of Book 1?
5. Who is the florist at the Hotel Metropol?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)